where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Career Discussions
Travis
Travis
07:37 Oct-10-2015
Where do I start in Canada??

I've been perusing through the internet with a curiosity in regards to how I can actually start the process of becoming an NDT technician.

I live in Cranbrook, BC Canada and so I was looking at possibly enrolling in either SAIT in Calgary or BCIT in Vancouver. Does anyone have any other locations that would offer what these places do? Do you have any sort of review of these two institutions programs? Information on these courses?

For example SAIT course outline is as follows:

Materials and Processes for NDT
Technical Communications for Industry
Radiography Level I
Ultrasonics Level I
Eddy Current Level I
Certified Exposure Device Operator
Visual and Inspection Basics
Magnetic Particle Levels I & II
Liquid Penetrant Levels I & II

Upon completion of this 15 week course which offers all of the above, I would find myself in a position of looking for work as a trainee? Correct? So I then could gain experience before writing some sort of exams to get my CGSB Certification? Is this all correct? is the CGSB Certification internationally recognized?
How long is the period after i've done my SAIT training for example and am working as a trainee before I can go for my CGSB Certification? This is the grey area on the internet that I am confused about.

What have you Canadians out there done to get where you are? Any light shed on some of these topics would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Paul Holloway
Consultant, UT Level 3
Holloway NDT & Engineering Inc , Canada, Joined Apr 2010, 169

Paul Holloway

Consultant, UT Level 3
Holloway NDT & Engineering Inc ,
Canada,
Joined Apr 2010
19:21 Oct-10-2015
Re: Where do I start in Canada??
In Reply to Travis at 07:37 Oct-10-2015 (Opening).

Travis,

You can register yourself with NRCan immediately after successful course completion. You can then be eligible to test for your written and practical components for each method separately, even though you haven't worked a single day. Keep in mind that registering with NRCan (you get a fancy ID card) and "I want to write my mag particle" exam registration are two separate costs. I believe the application fee is $350 and the written and practical (together) are $290 (using MT as an example). So along with the form, an eye test, Code of Conduct form, etc, you would have to write NRCan a cheque for $640.

Form here: https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/sites/www.nrcan.gc.ca/files/mineralsmetals/files/pdf/ndt-end/ndt-end-pdf/NDT-Application-Form-2015-06_en.pdf

You can do it all at one time, on the one form, if you want (and you probably do)

If you run the gamut of courses, and if you're wealthy, you may wish to test for all of the methods right after course completion. Suppose you don't, and it's 3 years until you decide to pursue eddy current. Unless you've been lucky enough to get some ET exposure, you'll be cold, you'll require numerous expensive workshops, and you'll risk failing the exams. And you've only got so many re-tests until you have to start that method over again. And keep in mind the courses aren't good forever. If you don't test within a certain time limit, you have to retake the course.

Because of this, my recommendation is to pursue one or two methods at a time. Mag particle is the "workman's ticket", especially in the gas processing plants in BC. If you're going to make it in NDT, more likely than not you've got an MT ticket. It may not be your favourite (or maybe it is!) but it's used all over the place.

I can't speak to your other questions, although I don't believe CGSB is internationally recognized. In Canada you pretty much have to be CGSB, so there's no real "better option" when starting out.

Hope this helps

PT VT MT
Canada, Joined Sep 2015, 9

PT VT MT

Canada,
Joined Sep 2015
12:43 Oct-11-2015
In Reply to Paul Holloway at 19:21 Oct-10-2015 .

Thank you.

What are the second and third best method in your idea?

Is unpaid, volunteer job counted as experience?

Is it easy to find job as a trainee in Ontario?

Paul Holloway
Consultant, UT Level 3

Paul Holloway

Consultant, UT Level 3
Canada,
Joined Apr 2010
17:00 Oct-12-2015
In Reply to PT VT MT at 12:43 Oct-11-2015 .

My opinion on "best methods" may be different from others. That being said, speaking personally, the best bet is MT2 then UT1. This isn't to discount the value of eddy current, penetrant or radiography. It's just my opinion.

Unpaid, volunteer time would definitely count, provided you have someone CGSB certified who is signing off on your hours. I have heard people ask about this option, but I've never known anyone to go this route.

The NDT trainee situation is a bit of a catch 22. There's a bit of luck involved in talking to the right company at the right time. I mean, there's always a glut of trainees out there looking for hours, but not always alot companies with open trainee positions. Set yourself apart... pass your written and practical exams. So many applicants have the training but take a year or more to get a ticket because they need the hours, AND they need to wait for NRCan to process the paperwork, then test (& retest), re-apply, etc. The company wants to put you on billable, ticketing jobs as soon as possible. If you've already passed your exams, you're that much further ahead.

PT VT MT
Canada, Joined Sep 2015, 9

PT VT MT

Canada,
Joined Sep 2015
12:15 Oct-14-2015
In Reply to Paul Holloway at 17:00 Oct-12-2015 .

Thank you very much Paul.

One last question. I have heard that NRCan accepts foreign work experience that an applicant has prior the classes. What are you exactly looking for? I mean what paper should I present them? At least this way I can work for 1 month in each of the PT VT MT method to be able to get Level I faster in Canada!

Thank you very much.

Paul Holloway
Consultant, UT Level 3

Paul Holloway

Consultant, UT Level 3
Canada,
Joined Apr 2010
02:55 Oct-15-2015
In Reply to PT VT MT at 12:15 Oct-14-2015 .

I can't speak for NRCan. You'd have to contact them directly, sorry.

Product Spotlight

I&T Nardoni

NDT, RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT OF NEW METHODOLOGY, TRAINING CENTER I&T NARDON INSTITUTE was idiated
in 1988 by Giuseppe Nardoni, now president and owner of the company, based on his multi-annual and international experience in the field of NDT.
>

NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe

DOPPLER NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe, more stable, new tyre makes lesser acoustic attenuation
, much lighter makes easier to handle, more slim size, magnetic and mechanical encoder optional etc...more
>

HD-CR 35 NDT Computed Radiography System

Portable high-resolution CR scanner for all radiography applications - weld testing, profile images
and aerospace. No matter what type of radiographic testing you are performing, the unique TreFoc Technology of the HD-CR 35 NDT imaging plate scanner always guarantees the highest image quality.
>

Ultrasonic tomograph for imaging of concrete structures А1040 MIRA

Applicable for concrete inspection allowing imaging of the internal structure of objects from conc
rete, reinforced concrete, different stones. The operation applies pulse-echo technique at one-side access to the object. The instrument is feasible for concrete inspection for searching conduct ducts, conduits, detection of foreign inclusions, holes, honeycombing, cracks and other concrete defects.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window