where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

YXLON Copenhagen
YXLON Copenhagen is a highly specialized, award winning Danish company with 60 years of experience in portable X-ray solutions for industrial NDT.

Career Discussions
Michael Hruska
Michael Hruska
14:31 Oct-22-2015
NDT Level III

I have a question regarding the interpertation of SNT-TC-1A 2011 Edition.
Section 4.3.3
The NDT Level III should have general familiarity with other
appropriate NDT methods, as demonstrated by an ASNT Level IQ Basic examination or other means.The NDT Level III, in the methods in which certified, should be capable of training and examining NDT Level I and II personnel for certification in those methods.
and Section 6.3.2.3
6.3.2.3 Have four years experience beyond the NDT Level II requirements in NDT in an assignment at least comparable to that of an NDT Level III in the applicable NDT method(s).
My appointed Level III is certified in UT and UT only. He has 20+ years experience in all methods. can he write, approve and train Level I and Level II in methods other than UT? We do have a Written Practice.

Miguel Ángel Díaz
Miguel Ángel Díaz
18:27 Oct-22-2015
Re: NDT Level III
In Reply to Michael Hruska at 14:31 Oct-22-2015 (Opening).

Hello sir.
It is important that any NDT level III, have profound knowledge about other methods address the discontinuities and which method is the best alternative for detecting and evaluating the discomtinuities
The NDT Level III know that NDT methods complement each have their advantages and limitations.
Consequently level 3 must pass a basic examination of non-destructive examinations of general knowledge as an additional examination for level 3. He must also know very well the scope, form and application of practice SNT-TC-1A for purposes of qualifying personnel level 1 or 2 in the technique that will be graded as Level 3.

Anmol Birring
Consultant,
Birring NDE Center, Inc., USA, Joined Aug 2011, 832

Anmol Birring

Consultant,
Birring NDE Center, Inc.,
USA,
Joined Aug 2011
23:36 Oct-23-2015

Your appointed Level III can conduct training provided the training program is approved by a ASNT NDT Level III in the method as per section 7.1 of SNT-TC-1A (2011)
Your Level III can administer the examinations provided they are prepared by a ASNT Level III in the method and delegated to your Level III as per section 8.1.1 of SNT-TC-1A (2011)
ASNT Level III certification must be current and you must maintain a copy of his certificate and original copy of SNT-TC-1A (2011)

Virginia
Engineering,
Venezuela, Joined Mar 2015, 1

Virginia

Engineering,
Venezuela,
Joined Mar 2015
04:15 Oct-24-2015

Hello Michael:

It´s my first time writting, and I just offer my humble opinion:

Like Mr. Anmol Birring, I think your Level III can write, approve and train your levels I and II, according to your Written Practice. It is a support of your Quality System.

BUT in the end, It deppends on your client, the place you are offering services because of the regulations, the scope of your services, your company certifications (i.e. ISO 9000). Sometimes in the service contract, the client specifies that your personnel must be qualified by Level III according to the method of NDT.

jon wallis
NDT Inspector, -
Netherlands, Joined Feb 2010, 626

jon wallis

NDT Inspector, -
Netherlands,
Joined Feb 2010
10:47 Oct-24-2015
In Reply to Virginia at 04:15 Oct-24-2015 .

Maybe I'm missing something here but is the suggestion that a level 3 PT (for example) can train and approve a level 2 UT technician, as long as it's included in the WP?
I fully understand that the WP is not produced from a set of 'shall's' but is written from recommendations but let's be realistic here.
The basic part of the level 3 examination tests you on a basic knowledge in all methods but it's only a few questions per method and doesn't include a practical examination, as far as I'm aware.
I think I - L3 UT, RT, MT, PT, will change my CV and include a thorough knowledge of ET, AE, Thermal Emission, LT and, I'll have to check my training books to find a few other 'exotics' to include.
Any client with the capability to realise what has been written in the WP would surely never accept this.

Anmol Birring
Consultant,
Birring NDE Center, Inc., USA, Joined Aug 2011, 832

Anmol Birring

Consultant,
Birring NDE Center, Inc.,
USA,
Joined Aug 2011
19:03 Oct-24-2015
In Reply to Virginia at 04:15 Oct-24-2015 .

Virginia, Always a pleasure to hear from first time users. Please continue adding, reviewing and posting. Anmol

Joe Jarvis
NDT Inspector,
USA, Joined Dec 2011, 4

Joe Jarvis

NDT Inspector,
USA,
Joined Dec 2011
18:46 Oct-29-2015

I think this question is a big one, and has/does cause ample confusion and frustration. Its really multifaceted in that it depends how supplier/client contacts are written. But, if the written practice has to be (because the customer/industry wants it that way) in accordance with SNT-TC-1A, then the clause "in the method in which certified" is king.

To train a Level II in *method*, you need to be Level III in *method*. (Not necessary an ASNT NDT Level III however [unless that too is a provision in the WP, just that its not mandated by SNT-TC-1A])

Now, one could certainly have a WP that the supplier/client both agree on, and as long as it isnt violating any Code or superseding provision or authority, it could be so written that a Pastry Chef could certify, train, and examine a Level II in MT.
This is absurd of course, but the point being that contracts are contracts, and codes and standards are something else.
But again, if one needs to abide by the SNT-TC-1A, must be a Level III in same method.

Product Spotlight

Conformable wedge transducer

The conformability is obtained with a flexible membrane filled with water between the transducer and
the inspected component. The coupling between the membrane and the component requires a small quantity of water or couplant. The conformable wedge combines the acoustic performance of immersion technique with good coupling and low attenuation.
>

TraiNDE UT

TraiNDE UT is a virtual tool associated with a signal database which simulates real inspection con
ditions for numerous applications (Type A/V1 block, DAC block, welds and plates).
>

Compact NDT inspection-heads for measurements with active thermography

The compact inspection head is suitable for thermographic ndt tasks. The uncooled infrared camera
is specially developed for NDI-tasks and offers a thermal sensitivity until now known only from thermal imagers with cooled detector. All required components and functions are integrated into the inspection-head. You will only need an ethernet cable to connect the sensor with the evaluation system.
>

Echomac® PA Tube Weld Tester

The new robotic Echomac® PA TW is an operator friendly test system for detecting weld zone defects
in tube and pipe caused by scarfing or welding processes. Electronic scanning ensures that the entire weld zone is covered without the need for mechanical movement or operator adjustment.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window