where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
G.K
NDT Inspector,
Poland, Joined Feb 2012, 15

G.K

NDT Inspector,
Poland,
Joined Feb 2012
10:41 Oct-26-2015
TAM 146040 degradation

Hello,
Could somebody explain me how we should do during degradation (annual check) of PSM-5 (TAM146040) panel.
Should I use the same (unused) batch numbers of materials, which were used during estabilish initial baseline or can it be different batch numbers, actually used??

Godfrey Hands
Consultant,
PRI Nadcap, United Kingdom, Joined Nov 1998, 306

Godfrey Hands

Consultant,
PRI Nadcap,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 1998
10:35 Nov-02-2015
Re: TAM 146040 degradation
In Reply to G.K at 10:41 Oct-26-2015 (Opening).

Hi GK.
You should use the same penetrant, emulsifier and developer make and type, (and emulsifier concentration range) but it does not have to be the same batch.
The chemicals need to be unused when you make this test.

Godfrey

G.K
NDT Inspector,

G.K

NDT Inspector,
Poland,
Joined Feb 2012
14:18 Nov-04-2015
In Reply to Godfrey Hands at 10:35 Nov-02-2015 .

Hi Mr Godfrey,
Thanks for answer.
I am going to explain what I mean.
Do I have to prepare baseline for each case whan I get new batch no of the penetrant or developer??
Sould I conduct yearly check of degradation TAM panel on the same batch numbers of materials (penetrant and developer) which were used during determined the estabilishing baseline. If may it be batches which we actually use?? I have on my mind "unused materials" because we use the material only one. When When something is not clear for you I can explain better.
Thanks you in advance

Godfrey Hands
Consultant,

Godfrey Hands

Consultant,
PRI Nadcap,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 1998
14:32 Nov-04-2015
In Reply to G.K at 14:18 Nov-04-2015 .

Hi GK,
You should conduct annual degradation checks on your TAM panel, unless your customer defines more frequently.
You should use unused penetrant and developer (and emulsifier if you use method D).
The penetrant materials DO NOT have to be from the same batch of materials that were used for the baseline, but they must be the same TYPE as were used for the baseline.
If you also use Emulsifier, then the emulsifier concentration needs to be nominally the same as was used in the baseline tests (same range, e.g. 6 to 10% or whatever you use).

Godfrey

G.K
NDT Inspector,

G.K

NDT Inspector,
Poland,
Joined Feb 2012
11:53 Nov-05-2015
In Reply to Godfrey Hands at 14:32 Nov-04-2015 .

Hi Mr Godfrey,
Now it is clear in "annual check" issue.
I have one question to you: Do I have to determine new baseline in each event new batch no. of materials??
I add that the materials are the same types (sensitivity, manufacturer)??

I have one question yet. In that way could I measure dimension of indication? Usually I use different comparators. But their range is limited. I didn't meet on the marked the comparators with maximum diameter than 3mm. What experirnce do you have with measurement of larger indications. Are there other ways which can I use??

Could you possibly get information where can I buy that divice??

Godfrey Hands
Consultant,

Godfrey Hands

Consultant,
PRI Nadcap,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 1998
17:19 Nov-05-2015
In Reply to G.K at 11:53 Nov-05-2015 .

Dear G.K.
You do not need to make a new baseline when you only change batches of materials.
"Changing" batches is normally accomplished by replenishing the existing tank which is still partly full, adding sufficient new material to the tank to bring the level up to the required level, and mixing both old and new.
In this case, the Batch Number becomes the number of the latest batch added (Even when you have an existing 20 Litres of "old" penetrant and add only 5 litres of new penetrant to it, the batch number then becomes that of the new batch.

To measure the size of the starbusts, you need to be more accurate than just using a 3mm comparator.
Personally, I have used a calibrated digital vernier caliper, looking at the starbust under magnification and UV light.
To make the "jaws" of the caliper more visible, you could paint the tips of the jaws of the caliper with a different colour of UV reactive paint (such as Orange).
Alternatively, there is a device on the market, which I think is called a "UV EYE", which has it's own built-in UV illumination, and ha a camera which can see the starbursts under magnification and measure them.

Godfrey

G.K
NDT Inspector,

G.K

NDT Inspector,
Poland,
Joined Feb 2012
09:35 Nov-06-2015
In Reply to Godfrey Hands at 17:19 Nov-05-2015 .

Hi,
Regarding to second part your message, I had in mind the measurement of indication during FPI, not the measurement of the stars. It regards indications which we have appeared after deweloping time.
I have found on market only with the maximum size 3mm. I need that comparator with larger diameter.
Thank for information below. It helped me.

Product Spotlight

Robotic laser shearography enables 100% inspection of complex, flight-critical composite structures

An article in “Composites World Magazine” showcases Non Destructive Testing of aero-structures
with Laser Shearography. Over the years Dantec Dynamics has supplied many solutions for the aerospace industry. Referring to specific customer projects several of these cases are examined to outline the advantages of using Laser Shearography for automated defect detection.
>

NEW - TD Focus-ScanRX

The NEW Next Generation Advanced UT platform, TD Focus ScanRX - Also available as a card stack solut
ion. Key Improvements 1. Data acquisition is significantly faster than current design 2. Better aesthetic – closely aligns with HandyScan RX 3. Improved IP rating (Target IP66) 4. Ruggedized housing 5. Connectors are protected from impact and ingress 6. Integrated stand and separate retractable handle easy to keep clean) 7. Touchscreen with ruggedized display glass 8. 3-Axis encoder input
>

New PHAsis module for longitudinal weld seam inspection

PHAsis® Phased Array manual ultrasonic spot weld inspection device is now ideally suited for test
ing of longitudinally welded seams (e.g. Arplas® seam, short line seams) with a length of 3 to 12 mm.
>

iProbe - USB Phased Array Probe

Turn your PC, Laptop or Tablet into a powerful 32:64 Phased Array system with our USB powered Phas
ed Array iProbe and inspection software package. Perform affordable weld inspection and corrosion mapping inspections with this powerful but small system. The probe has a 100V pulser, 8K PRF, dual axis encoder input and achieves outstanding signal quality.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window