where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Career Discussions
charlie
charlie
03:56 Nov-07-2015
UT books

Hello All

Can anyone recommend a good books regarding UT inspection !Q

Thanks in advance

Paul Holloway
Consultant,
Holloway NDT & Engineering Inc , Canada, Joined Apr 2010, 217

Paul Holloway

Consultant,
Holloway NDT & Engineering Inc ,
Canada,
Joined Apr 2010
04:18 Nov-07-2015
Re: UT books
In Reply to charlie at 03:56 Nov-07-2015 (Opening).

Sure,

Ultrasonic Flaw Detection for Technicians, by JC Drury

http://www.bindt.org/shopbindt/books/ultrasonic-flaw-detection-for-technicians.html#.Vj1tFqT8XqA

Chris Edwards
Consultant,
United Kingdom, Joined Dec 2012, 43

Chris Edwards

Consultant,
United Kingdom,
Joined Dec 2012
08:22 Nov-09-2015

Hi Charlie- Agree with Pauul- John Drurys' book is good =- used to work with him many yeatrs ago.
Theres a lot of info for free on: https://www.nde-ed.org/EducationResources/CommunityCollege/communitycollege.php

The only thing I disagree with Johnn Drury is the use of rectified waveforms - best practice at the time but technology has moved on. Better to use unrectiied waveforms ( especially in thin materials ) easier to discriminate between echoes, Also betteer to use UT sets in broadaband mode for composites- attenutate the higher frequencies - so sometimes you pout in 5 MHz waves but the echo comes back at ~1 MHz - will not see it if you apply a narrowband filter.

Dr Chris

Chris Edwards
Consultant,
United Kingdom, Joined Dec 2012, 43

Chris Edwards

Consultant,
United Kingdom,
Joined Dec 2012
13:41 Nov-09-2015
In Reply to Paul Holloway at 04:18 Nov-07-2015 .

Re John Drury book,

much of this is available on line for free in "Back to Basic series"

see www.silverwingndt.com/downloads/technical/Article1.pdf

just change the article no. to get other chapter eg Article2 , 3 etc.

I appologise for my apalling spelling earlier I shoud make sure I am fully away before posting anything.

Chris

Deston Henson
NDT Inspector,
Canada, Joined Nov 2009, 20

Deston Henson

NDT Inspector,
Canada,
Joined Nov 2009
00:25 Nov-10-2015

Drury's book is great! In addition, I recommend Andrew Cunningham's book - 'A Practical Guide to UT in the Real World' - to learn various sizing techniques.

http://www.practical-ndt.com/

Herb Cumbaa
NDT Inspector,
USA, Joined Aug 2007, 10

Herb Cumbaa

NDT Inspector,
USA,
Joined Aug 2007
15:00 Nov-10-2015

Any of Ed Ginzel's books as well as the above mentioned authors Cunningham,and Drury are very good . I lean more towards Mr. Ginzel's writing.

Paul Holloway
Consultant,
Holloway NDT & Engineering Inc , Canada, Joined Apr 2010, 217

Paul Holloway

Consultant,
Holloway NDT & Engineering Inc ,
Canada,
Joined Apr 2010
22:06 Nov-10-2015
In Reply to Chris Edwards at 08:22 Nov-09-2015 .

Chris, I totally agree about the use of RF vs fully rectified waveforms. This not being a very well taught piece of the theory, I was basically unaware of the purpose of half+ or half- until measuring internal corrosion on boiler tubes. Now, using RF or a half-rectified view is the only way to go for thickness measurement.

Csaba Hollo
Retired, Canada, Joined Feb 2010, 301

Csaba Hollo

Retired,
Canada,
Joined Feb 2010
18:30 Nov-16-2015
In Reply to Paul Holloway at 22:06 Nov-10-2015 .

The Drury book is great, Andrew Cunningham's book is one of the best practical books I have come across.

I too have not used a rectified a-scan for any ultrasonic examinations, be it for thickness or flaw detection for the better part of 20 years.

There is so much information in the RF waveform that is lost to rectification. I know that I am an enigma amongst my colleagues, but I stick to the RF display for all of my UT examinations.

THEO MICOTTIS
Italy, Joined May 2013, 80

THEO MICOTTIS

Italy,
Joined May 2013
10:37 Nov-18-2015
In Reply to Csaba Hollo at 18:30 Nov-16-2015 .

Dear Csaba, could you suggest me some papers in order to improve my knowledge on RF interpretation?
Regards Theo

Wieslaw Bicz
Engineering,
PBP Optel sp. z o.o., Poland, Joined Feb 2009, 265

Wieslaw Bicz

Engineering,
PBP Optel sp. z o.o.,
Poland,
Joined Feb 2009
11:09 Nov-18-2015
In Reply to THEO MICOTTIS at 10:37 Nov-18-2015 .

I don't think, that a paper will be helpful. May be only a book describing such things as interference, diffraction, etc. The best thing is experience: testing with different objects to gain some insight, how the wave changes due to the different circumstances.
RF signal is delivering full information. Signal processing (simple rectifying with some filter is such processing) will loose some information. Signal processing can be very useful (and even necessary) in automatic applications, but I think, that in manual testing the use of rectified signals is only a bad tradition, based on the old technique, that was not able to show RF signals.

Pablo
Engineering,
ASNT Level 3, Argentina, Joined Sep 2007, 9

Pablo

Engineering,
ASNT Level 3,
Argentina,
Joined Sep 2007
01:14 Nov-20-2015
In Reply to Wieslaw Bicz at 11:09 Nov-18-2015 .

zoom image

Does anyone know which UT book this image comes from?

Udo Schlengermann
Consultant, -
Standards Consulting, Germany, Joined Nov 1998, 179

Udo Schlengermann

Consultant, -
Standards Consulting,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
11:40 Nov-20-2015
In Reply to Pablo at 01:14 Nov-20-2015 .

Pablo,

Yes, I know where this figures come from:
They are copied from the so called Krautkramer pocket book (blue book) written by me.
In the original German edition of 1975 they were printed on page 69.

There have been several reprints in different languages, only some of them with copyright, that means with my permission.
There are no more reprints available from the company, i.e. from the successors of Krautkramer's.

With best regards

Udo Schlengermann

Rolf
Director,
NDT.net, Germany, Joined Nov 1998, 609

Rolf

Director,
NDT.net,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
16:59 Nov-20-2015

You can read here the PDF Booklet
Nondestructive Material Testing with Ultrasonics - Introduction to the Basic Principles
M. Berke, GE Inspection Technologies GmbH
http://www.ndt.net/search/docs.php3?showForm=OFF&id=540

Also you can learn more about the terminologies at NDT A-Z:
http://www.ndt.net/ndtaz/ndtaz.php

Anmol Birring
Consultant,
Birring NDE Center, Inc., USA, Joined Aug 2011, 776

Anmol Birring

Consultant,
Birring NDE Center, Inc.,
USA,
Joined Aug 2011
19:41 Nov-22-2015

My favorite is Ultrasonic Testing of Materials by Krautkramer. It is the Gold Standard.

Product Spotlight

Echomac® Small

Available with up to eight channels of electronics to detect and evaluate thickness, flaws and eccen
tricity, this UT tester is housed in a convenient, smaller cabinet. This instrument can be used in conjunction with bubbler or immersion tank systems, or with a test bench or in laboratory applications. The Echomac® Small is available in the FD4, FD6 or FD6A versions.
>

Teletest Focus+

Teletest Focus+ electronics have superior capabilities than rivals on the market. Beyond the usual
test features, Focus+ has 24 transmit channels and 24 receive channels, with an additional on-board switching capabilities. The instrument's frequency range is 10–300 kHz.
>

AMIGO2

TSC Amigo2 - ACFM technology has developed a solid reputation for accurately detecting and sizing
surface-breaking cracks through paint and coatings. As the industry demands increased performance in speed, signal quality, and portability, it’s time for an evolution. It’s time for Amigo2.
>

NovaScope 6000

The all-digital Novascope 6000 is a portable, ultra-high precision thickness gauge for high-speed
thickness measurement. Novascope 6000 has unmatched capabilities and unique features including: •Superior Resolution with high contrast, high-speed color RF display •High pulser voltage •Real-time video output •Increased internal/external data storage •Programmable SetUp features •Battery & AC Powered
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window