where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

TecScan Systems
We offer a complete line of NDT scanners, Immersion Tanks & Gantry systems which incorporate Ultrasonic, Phased Array & Eddy Current technologies.

Career Discussions
Jay Lee
NDT Inspector,
seeking employer, Canada, Joined Nov 2015, 5

Jay Lee

NDT Inspector,
seeking employer,
Canada,
Joined Nov 2015
03:44 Nov-20-2015
What is the best option to find a trainee position in Canada?

Hi,

I have just completed NDT courses which are MT2,PT2 and UT1. I have sent my resume both online and in -person over 30 companies in AB. No one call me back yet.
I feel so frustrated and I have no idea how I can find employer. Do I find a company to do volunteer to get experience?
I have a new born baby so I would like to stay in AB if I have an option.
I know it is really hard to find a trainee position specially in this recession but I am the one who brings home the bacon.
Please give me some suggestion or advice. That would help me a lot!

Thanks guys!!!!

Csaba Hollo
Retired, Canada, Joined Feb 2010, 301

Csaba Hollo

Retired,
Canada,
Joined Feb 2010
21:13 Nov-20-2015
Re: What is the best option to find a trainee position in Canada?
In Reply to Jay Lee at 03:44 Nov-20-2015 (Opening).

Even during busy times, I have seen maybe one person given a chance to work an outage for every 20 resume's that come in. Mind you, most of those resume's, ironically, are welders looking to get out of welding and into inspection because their eyesight is failing!

The absolute best thing to do is to call and request an interview. Keep calling and keep pestering people to see you. Work on your verbal presentation, because that is your one chance to make a good impression.

Stick with the larger companies initially. They tend to have more project work where they can put a green hand or two on site to train. If you do get an opportunity, it goes without saying that you need to make the best of it. ie; work your ass off.

Unfortunately, you know the current situation in Alberta, and until the oil prices rebound...it will be pretty slim pickings for work. Remember, there are a lot of certified techs that have had their hours cut back pretty hard, and they are fighting to get more work as well.

I wish you the best of luck.

Jay Lee
NDT Inspector,

Jay Lee

NDT Inspector,
seeking employer,
Canada,
Joined Nov 2015
22:06 Nov-20-2015
In Reply to Csaba Hollo at 21:13 Nov-20-2015 .

I appreciate your comment Csaba Hollo.
I know things getting worse as I check oil-price everyday and I also got laid off from different job like other by reduction of oil-price. I thought this will be a good time for changing my career path.
As you said, I will keep calling and pestering to get some interview.
How about working as a volunteer? I don't mind working with unpaid as long as I can get qualified hours so that I can do my practical exam and apply for the tickets.

You have a good day!

Csaba Hollo

Csaba Hollo

Retired,
Canada,
Joined Feb 2010
23:54 Nov-20-2015
In Reply to Jay Lee at 22:06 Nov-20-2015 .

Volunteering may work, I know that union companies won't touch a volunteer because they would be taking a union job...

So, that would mean approaching a non-union company. It can't hurt to keep your options open.

Jay Lee
NDT Inspector,

Jay Lee

NDT Inspector,
seeking employer,
Canada,
Joined Nov 2015
00:54 Nov-21-2015
In Reply to Csaba Hollo at 23:54 Nov-20-2015 .

Thank you for your replying.

Do you have an idea of how I can figure out which company is non-union company?
I tried search some companies but they don't mention that they are union company or not.

Csaba Hollo

Csaba Hollo

Retired,
Canada,
Joined Feb 2010
01:24 Nov-21-2015
In Reply to Jay Lee at 00:54 Nov-21-2015 .

A list of signatory companies are here:

http://www.ualocal179.com/pdfs/agreements/AgreementUABMQCCCC2012-2015.pdf

There is no formal non-union list that I am aware of, so it will be a matter of doing some online or phone directory research on your part.

Csaba Hollo

Csaba Hollo

Retired,
Canada,
Joined Feb 2010
01:26 Nov-21-2015
In Reply to Csaba Hollo at 01:24 Nov-21-2015 .

The union companies are located on the last few pages of the PDF in the URL attached.

Jay Lee
NDT Inspector,

Jay Lee

NDT Inspector,
seeking employer,
Canada,
Joined Nov 2015
02:39 Nov-21-2015
In Reply to Csaba Hollo at 01:26 Nov-21-2015 .

Thanks again, appreciate that!!

Paul Holloway
Consultant, UT Level 3
Holloway NDT & Engineering Inc , Canada, Joined Apr 2010, 171

Paul Holloway

Consultant, UT Level 3
Holloway NDT & Engineering Inc ,
Canada,
Joined Apr 2010
02:50 Nov-21-2015
In Reply to Csaba Hollo at 01:26 Nov-21-2015 .

Csaba, did the QCCC not get a new agreement in place yet, or are they still riding on the one that expired in April?

Jay, on a note related to what you were asking about, I frequently take cold calls from prospective technicians looking for work. I always say, set yourself apart from the rest! You can do your written and practical CGSB tests without the work experience. If you pass them and the only thing holding you back from an MT2 (or whatever, pick your poison) is hours, the employer is much more likely to take a chance on you. I know from experience, hiring assistants that "almost" have tickets means waiting about a year on average until they get certified... which is a year of not being able to bill out one of your employees as a full technician. I took a call this week from a young man in BC in this situation. I'm not hiring, but I tried to set him off on the right path.

If I have 20 resumes on my desk:

- 5 have gross grammar or spelling mistakes (I'm talking miserable here... not acceptable)
- 5 have a list of employers a mile long (not a good sign)
- 10 don't have the training requirements that were asked for (CGSB... I said CGSB.... gah!)

There's rarely, RARELY a suitably trained, well spoken/written individual that doesn't look like they have commitment issues. Jay, hopefully you're one of the good ones. But the only way for an employer to know that is if you set yourself above the rest: make your CV "top shelf" material, speak well, and pass those qualification exams (your written and your practical), so the only thing left is the pesky hour log.

Best of luck

Jay Lee
NDT Inspector,

Jay Lee

NDT Inspector,
seeking employer,
Canada,
Joined Nov 2015
03:28 Nov-21-2015
In Reply to Paul Holloway at 02:50 Nov-21-2015 .

Hi Paul,

I would like to say thank you first, what you mentioned are really helpful for me to seek an employer.
As English is my 2nd language, it needs to be more fluently.

As I know about CGSB practical exam, they are no longer taking an applicant who doesn't have experience. They require us approx 350 hrs to do the practical exam now.

I will do what I can do now and definitely take all your advice you mentioned.

Thank you for your supporting Paul.

Csaba Hollo

Csaba Hollo

Retired,
Canada,
Joined Feb 2010
04:19 Nov-21-2015
In Reply to Paul Holloway at 02:50 Nov-21-2015 .

Paul, there is a new contract...publishing was delayed due to additional votes required in Central and Prairies. This one was easy to find online, and has most of the signatory companies listed anyways.

Product Spotlight

NDTkit RT

NDTkit RT, TESTIA's Digital Radiography software The NDTkit product line software for X-ray analysi
s. NDTkit RT is a software benefiting from the Ultis kernel which is dedicated to radiographic image analysis. It offers a set of tools and filtering processes to assist RT operators in finding relevant flaws.
>

ISAFE3 Intrinsically Safe Sensor System

ISAFE3 intrinsically safe sensor system of Vallen Systeme is especially targeted at the petrochemica
l - as well as oil and gas transportation industry. The sensor system is designed for permanent monitoring or periodic inspection tasks. Sensors are available for different AE-frequency ranges optimized for corrosion and fatigue crack detection and other applications. The ISAFE 3 sensor system consists of an AE-sensor (model ISAS3) certified according to ATEX/IEC for installation in zone 0, gas group IIC, IP68, 20 to +60 °C, and a signal isolator (model SISO3) certified for installation in zone 2. An ISAS3 sensor can be mounted in atmosphere or submerged, e.g. in water or crude oil. It is supported by mounting tools for temporary (magnets) or permanent (welded) installation. ISAFE3 supports automatic sensor coupling test and can be used with any AE signal processor supporting 28V supply at 90 mA peak, e.g. Vallen Systeme ASIP-2/A.
>

HD-CR 35 NDT Computed Radiography System

Portable high-resolution CR scanner for all radiography applications - weld testing, profile images
and aerospace. No matter what type of radiographic testing you are performing, the unique TreFoc Technology of the HD-CR 35 NDT imaging plate scanner always guarantees the highest image quality.
>

XRHRobotStar

In high volume industries like automotive the requirement for a hundred percent X-ray inspection c
reates a bottleneck in the production. The XRHRobotStar is a fully Automated Defect Recognition (ADR) capable robot-system that allows an ultra-fast in-line inspection.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window