where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
PPM
PPM
10:33 Nov-29-2015
Pressure Testing

what is the minimum holding time for hydraulic line pressure test ( testing pressure is 410 bar) ??

Steven Doc
Other, Quality Manager
Siemens Energy, Egypt, Joined Feb 2011, 187

Steven Doc

Other, Quality Manager
Siemens Energy,
Egypt,
Joined Feb 2011
10:50 Nov-29-2015
Re: Pressure Testing
In Reply to PPM at 10:33 Nov-29-2015 (Opening).

Holding time is prescribed in the Code or Specification. Generally Specification as these can be more stringent. There is no such thing as a general holding time.

Tj
Other, Piping Inspector
Arak Supply company for Oil and Gas Companies, Philippines, Joined Oct 2015, 4

Tj

Other, Piping Inspector
Arak Supply company for Oil and Gas Companies,
Philippines,
Joined Oct 2015
12:33 Nov-29-2015
In Reply to PPM at 10:33 Nov-29-2015 (Opening).

Hi,

For reference, in my company the minimum holding time for hydrotest of above ground piping should not be less than 30 minutes. If the line to be tested is long and has many branches then you can increase the holding time to more than 1 hour depending on the amount of time required to inspect everything.

If your line is intended for underground piping, the minimum holding time is 4 hours provided all joints are exposed for visual inspection. If the joints are backfilled then it is a 24 hour holding time.

Can you please tell me if you are a designer, supervisor, site engineer or QC personnel?

Thanks.

Steven Doc
Other, Quality Manager

Steven Doc

Other, Quality Manager
Siemens Energy,
Egypt,
Joined Feb 2011
12:50 Nov-29-2015
In Reply to Tj at 12:33 Nov-29-2015 .

TJ, are you saying that you are inspecting the system while under test pressure? If so this is very bad practice. You should hold your test pressure for the required time and check for pressure loss on the gauge, then reduce the pressure to Operating Pressure and then inspect the system physically.

I wouldn't have any of my guys approaching a system under hydrotest, regardless of test pressure.

Tj
Other, Piping Inspector

Tj

Other, Piping Inspector
Philippines,
Joined Oct 2015
14:02 Nov-29-2015
In Reply to Steven Doc at 12:50 Nov-29-2015 .

Hi Steve. In my company, As we reach the test pressure, we practice a 10 minutes observation for the pressure gauge at the test manifold to verify if there will be a pressure drop due to leakage and during that time no one is allowed to enter the test area. The test manifold is placed at about 3 meters away from the test area.

The actual time when the test pressure is achieved shall be recorded and considered as start of the 30 minutes minimum holding time. After the 10 minutes wait, the QC inspector and the Client inspector will conduct a joint walkdown inspection of all joints and the entire line. In case of leaks, the line will be depressurized prior to any tightening or repair.

Steve Doc
Other, Quality Manager

Steve Doc

Other, Quality Manager
Siemens Energy,
Egypt,
Joined Feb 2011
14:09 Nov-29-2015
In Reply to Tj at 14:02 Nov-29-2015 .

TJ, I have seen this happen all over the world. Extremely bad practice. The system is under excess pressure, and as such under excessive stresses. There is no estimating when a catastrophic failure would occur under these conditions. Pressure Tests are barriered off for a reason. That reason is possible sudden release of energy and projectile objects. As said previously I wouldn't have any of my team work under these conditions.

Take a look at this document, its a good safety reference for pressure testing.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/gs4.pdf

ndtalpha
ndtalpha
14:10 Nov-29-2015
In Reply to Tj at 14:02 Nov-29-2015 .

Dear
Can you please let me know
If we conduct 24 hours which one is correct start and stop time.any code ref available.

Steven Doc
Other, Quality Manager

Steven Doc

Other, Quality Manager
Siemens Energy,
Egypt,
Joined Feb 2011
14:12 Nov-29-2015
In Reply to ndtalpha at 14:10 Nov-29-2015 .

Start time is the time you reach prescribed test pressure after all stages of equalisation. End time is when the prescribed test pressure duration has been completed. Depressurisation process does not count as part of the test duration.

Tj
Other, Piping Inspector

Tj

Other, Piping Inspector
Philippines,
Joined Oct 2015
14:27 Nov-29-2015
In Reply to Steve Doc at 14:09 Nov-29-2015 .

Hi Steve. Thank you for pointing out this safety concern, I appreciate the article and its a good source to promote awareness on how to do hydrotesting in a much safer manner.

PPM
PPM
02:44 Nov-30-2015
In Reply to Tj at 14:27 Nov-29-2015 .

Thanks for your advice. it is an hydraulic pipe line which goes to deck crane and engine room in a ship. do you have any idea regarding ship building/repair standard for conducting pressure test. according to B31.3 (process piping) the minimum pressure holding time is 10 min. but i want to know is there any other standards for ship building/repair.

Product Spotlight

Sci Aps Z-Series Portable Handheld Analysers

The world’s only handheld analyzer that measures carbon content in stainless (yes even L-grades),s
teels, and cast irons. Also accepted for low Si analysis for sulfidic corrosion analysis, and is widely used in the power industry for Cr analysis, for flow accelerated corrosion applications.
>

IntraPhase Athena Phased Array System

The Athena Phased Array system, manufactured by WesDyne NDE Products & Technology, consists of a pha
sed array acquisition system and PC running IntraSpect software. A PC is used to perform acquisition, analysis and storage of the data. System hardware is capable of operating up to four data sets with any combination of phased array or conventional UT probes. NOW AVAILABLE IN 64-64 CONFIGURATION.
>

VeeScan AirCraft Wheel Inspection

The VEESCAN offers maximum flexibility, has a proven mechanical design and records of breakdown-fr
ee operation of over 365 days. Appealing to companies in the Aerospace industry, the VEESCAN is ideal for all wheel-testing environments. With a wide selection of probes, the VeeScan allows your wheel testing facility the flexibility to select the most compatible configurations with their workload.
>

GEKKO - Portable Phased Array Testing with TFM in Real-Time

The portable phased array testing system GEKKO provides 64 parallel test channels. On creating testi
ng parameters the operator is assisted by the CIVA software. Due to its modular set-up the GEKKO instrument is suitable for operators of all skill levels.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window