where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Materials Research Institute
Consulting to the NDT industry.

Career Discussions
Astrinos Z. Papadakis
Student, PhD Candidate
National Technical University of Athens, Greece, Joined Jan 2016, 8

Astrinos Z. Papadakis

Student, PhD Candidate
National Technical University of Athens,
Greece,
Joined Jan 2016
14:20 Jan-05-2016
Certification on NDT of Composites

Hello to everyone,

I am a PhD Candidate of National Technical University of Athens, and my Thesis topic is in general about composite structuresand their design, analysis and inspection.
I am also certified with LEVEL 2 UT EN ISO 9712, and I would like to receive some further NDT training focused on the composites field.
My question is if there are specific certifications and training courses focused on composites.
Are there also Levels for this field?
For which methods can someone be certified?

Ecxept for UT, I have heard of the use of Bonding Methods for composites. Do they refer to the use of equipment like BondMaster, and are they also followed by training and certification?

I would appreciate any help, as in Greece the information about NDT in Composites is really non-existant.

Thank you in advance

Alex Easton
Alex Easton
18:48 Jan-05-2016
Re: Certification on NDT of Composites
In Reply to Astrinos Z. Papadakis at 14:20 Jan-05-2016 (Opening).

There are specific training courses focused on composites but no specific certification or endorsements for composites that I have come across. Companies usually qualify and certify their employees through an internal course which leads to a non-transferable certification.

There are levels for this application but it rides on the ASNT, ISO, NAS, etc. qual/cert schemes.

I have posted a suggestion to another individual that had a similar question to yours.

It is in your best interest to investigate the areas yourself. There are specifications for the creation of composite reference samples as well as inspection methods. The bondmaster uses low frequency ultrasound with specific probes for inspections.

Check local companies to see if you can get access to samples/material/info. I found this one in 30 seconds; http://www.adamant-composites.gr/; which is relatively close to you.

James Bittner
James Bittner
21:40 Jan-05-2016
In Reply to Alex Easton at 18:48 Jan-05-2016 .

Hello All,

I have been supporting composite NDT and composite reference standards for almost 20 years now. Most of the standards are manufactured to an OEM specification like Boeing, or the specifications that are supplied by an application engineering team from an origination like the USAF, based structure requirement.
There are the ARP5606 composite standards, a series of CHRS composite repair standard established by the commercial aircraft industry in accordance with “Aerospace Recommended Practice”.
To fully understand composite NDT, requires lots hands on experiences, as well as good training.

Astrinos Z. Papadakis
Student, PhD Candidate

Astrinos Z. Papadakis

Student, PhD Candidate
Greece,
Joined Jan 2016
11:22 Jan-07-2016
In Reply to Alex Easton at 18:48 Jan-05-2016 .

Dear Mr. Easton,
Thank you very much for your reply.

I know that there are several companies that work with composites in my area, but it would be my second choice to refer to them, as I suppose that they train their employees for very specific procedures and internally.
What I would like to do, is to be trained in accordance with the specifications of an organization, as I did with UT Level 2 training from BiNDT, and as a result "carry" this certification" with myself and my CV.

As far as composite samples are convcerned, I have full access to them as my laboratory is experienced on composite manufacturing.

Could you please refer specifically to some of the specifications you mentioned about samples and inspection methods?

Thanks again,

Astrinos

Alex Easton
Alex Easton
19:07 Jan-07-2016
In Reply to Astrinos Z. Papadakis at 11:22 Jan-07-2016 .

James noted ARP5606 which I have used as a guide for samples.

There are a few ASTM specs with regards to UT and composites; ASTM E1001 and E2580.

I took a course through Falconjet a few years back that was supported by RAA Composites in London, Canada. You get a certificate of completion but no real examination of the material. The main benefit to the course was the availability of defect samples.

I do not think there is an actual certificate endorsement for composites by an organization such as BINDT, ASNT, NRCan, or any other organization.

The PCN scheme has an AERO endorsement but does not specify composites. They do note in the A0 Annex that they can work with candidates to develop a system but reverts back to the company internal certification.

Astrinos Z. Papadakis
Student, PhD Candidate

Astrinos Z. Papadakis

Student, PhD Candidate
Greece,
Joined Jan 2016
11:26 Jan-08-2016
In Reply to Alex Easton at 19:07 Jan-07-2016 .

Hello all,
thanks again for you replies.

I see your point.
In general, I can see that in the US & Canada the whole training and certification procedure depends on each company's needs, especially concerning composites.
I have to search the European Standards which are the ones of my interest and location.
I will inform the forum for whatever I find out, so as to help each other and mainly people that face the same "problems" in the future.

Astrinos

sheeraz
NDT Inspector,
Pakistan, Joined Jan 2014, 3

sheeraz

NDT Inspector,
Pakistan,
Joined Jan 2014
04:39 Jan-31-2016
In Reply to Astrinos Z. Papadakis at 11:26 Jan-08-2016 .

HI, everyone,

can any one suggest for inspection of aerospace composite material probe selection with olympus Bond tester 1000e.

thanks in advance

James Bittner
James Bittner
09:03 Jan-31-2016
In Reply to sheeraz at 04:39 Jan-31-2016 .

If you are using the B1000e+ to detect skin to core disbonds in honeycomb sandwich structures, I would suggest Pitch-Catch probe S-PC-P14 (P/N: 9323945 / cable P/N: 9117789). If you are looking to detect inner-ply delamination, the following two resonance probes (S-PR-5 P/N: 9317795 & S-PR-4 P/N: 9317794 / cable P/N: 9117790). If you have any further BondMaster questions, please feel free and contact me using my email address. I also suggest going to the Olympus website and review BondMaster product information there as well.

Product Spotlight

FAAST-PA! OEM Patented phased Array for high speed UT inspection

Multiangle, Multifocus, Multifrequency, Multibeam. Instead of stacking UT electronics and having m
any PA probes, FAAST-PA is able to transmit all delay laws within ONE single shot in Real time.
>

IntraPhase Athena Phased Array System

The Athena Phased Array system, manufactured by WesDyne NDE Products & Technology, consists of a pha
sed array acquisition system and PC running IntraSpect software. A PC is used to perform acquisition, analysis and storage of the data. System hardware is capable of operating up to four data sets with any combination of phased array or conventional UT probes. NOW AVAILABLE IN 64-64 CONFIGURATION.
>

High-performance Linear Phased Array Probes

Available to order from stock in a range of 5MHz – 7.5MHz and from 16 to 64 elements. Designed w
ith piezo-composite elements, Phoenix phased array probes provide high-resolution imaging to maximise sensitivity; accurate ultrasonic detection and sizing of defects in welds; and effective corrosion mapping. Housed in a rugged stainless steel case for on-site industrial NDT applications.
>

Silverwing RMS PA - Phased-array corrosion mapping

Eddyfi Technologies integrated two market leading solutions, Silverwing’s RMS and M2M’s instru
ments to provide a high-speed, remote access ultrasonic phased-array inspection system with live total focusing method (TFM).
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window