where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Sonatest Ltd
From our three distinct business centres in the UK, USA and CANADA, Sonatest design and produce a leading range of high performance ultrasonic NDT equipment and accessories.
Career Discussions
Steven Doc
Other, Quality Manager
Siemens Energy, Egypt, Joined Feb 2011, 187

Steven Doc

Other, Quality Manager
Siemens Energy,
Egypt,
Joined Feb 2011
10:55 Feb-29-2016
ASME Section I - Use of PAUT on less than 13mm wt?

Hello forum,
Has any of our members / contributors had success is applying PAUT on ASME I scope of works for thicknesses less than 13mm?
My understanding of CC2235 is that it allowed for PAUT to be utlised on thicknesses greater than 13mm. This was then incorporated into the Code. Has there been any ratification for thicknesses below?

What are the experiences and limitations observed when using, for example, the COBRA system with the OMNISCAN MX2? Is it effective for replacement of RT on wall thicknesses below 13mm?

Diego
Consultant,
Freelance, Spain, Joined May 2013, 188

Diego

Consultant,
Freelance,
Spain,
Joined May 2013
13:01 Feb-29-2016
Re: ASME Section I - Use of PAUT on less than 13mm wt?
In Reply to Steven Doc at 10:55 Feb-29-2016 (Opening).

Hi Steven.
In ASME 1 / Edi. 2013. The use of any UT technique in lieu of RT is not permitted for thickness > 13 mm.

Diego
Consultant,
Freelance, Spain, Joined May 2013, 188

Diego

Consultant,
Freelance,
Spain,
Joined May 2013
17:57 Feb-29-2016
In Reply to Diego at 13:01 Feb-29-2016 .

In my previous post there is a misprint.
Where is indicated > 13 mm, it is meant < 13 mm.
My apologies

stan
NDT Inspector,
Canada, Joined Jan 2009, 31

stan

NDT Inspector,
Canada,
Joined Jan 2009
19:08 Feb-29-2016
Steven:
Are you talking about using PAUT on boiler tubes?

Steven Doc
Other, Quality Manager
Siemens Energy, Egypt, Joined Feb 2011, 187

Steven Doc

Other, Quality Manager
Siemens Energy,
Egypt,
Joined Feb 2011
13:57 Mar-01-2016
In Reply to stan at 19:08 Feb-29-2016 .

Stan,
Not in particular, no. I was discussing, in general.
Diego has answered my question. I am now looking, based on Figure 100.1.2(B), at how much of the Erection work on our 24 Boilers will be effected by this. My guess is very little, if any, but will know definitively very soon.

Thanks all.

Product Spotlight

NEW! The PragmaPro Instrument Platform

The PragmaPro is based on a modular cartridge technology and supports various NDT instrument modal
ities such as UT, PAUT, ECT and many more. This new platform is based on a machined, powder-coated aluminum frame for shock-proofness, best sealing qualities and maximum heat dissipation. This is practical to extend the outdoor temperature range and/or to extend the power injected in the transducers. The PragmaPro is aiming at a very wide range of applications, such as weld scanning, corrosion mapping and composite testing.
>

UCI Hardness Tester NOVOTEST T-U2

UCI hardness tester NOVOTEST T-U2 is is used for non-destructive hardness testing of: metals and
alloys by scales of hardness: Rockwell (HRC), Brinell (HB), Vickers (HV); non-ferrous metals, alloys of iron etc., and using five additional scales for calibration; with tensile strength (Rm) scale determines the tensile strength of carbon steel pearlitic products by automatic recalculation from Brinell (HB) hardness scale.
>

Immersion systems

ScanMaster ultrasonic immersion systems are designed for high throughput, multi shift operation in a
n industrial or lab environment. These fully integrated systems provide various scanning configurations and incorporate conventional and phased arrays technologies to support diverse applications, such as inspection of disks, bars, shafts, billets and plates. All of ScanMaster immersion systems are built from high accuracy scanning frames allowing for scanning of complex parts and include a multi-channel ultrasonic instrument with exceptional performance. The systems are approved by all major manufacturers for C-scan inspection of jet engine forged discs. Together with a comprehensive set of software modules these flexible series of systems provide the customer with the best price performance solutions.
>

Navic - Steerable Modular Automated Scanner

The Navic is a modular, motorized, steerable scanner designed to carry multiple attachments used
in various scanning and inspection applications. The Navic is capable of weld scanning (girth welds and long seam welds), automated corrosion mapping, and tank scanning.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window