where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

AT-Automation Technology GmbH
AT -Automation Technology is a systems house for industrial image processing. AT offers thermographic ndt systems as well as high-speed 3D sensors.
Career Discussions
Hajar
Hajar
12:31 Jun-17-2015
How to calculate the safe distance for x-ray

I have a big problem,
I have a 250 kV and 2 mA for x-ray .. I know how to calculate using point source for safe distance, but i know nothing when using x-ray. Could you help me ? Please explain using formulation .. Thank you.

Kratus Ranieri
Kratus Ranieri
18:07 Jun-25-2015
Re: How to calculate the safe distance for x-ray
In Reply to Hajar at 12:31 Jun-17-2015 (Opening).

I think that it is necessary the information about the radiation output as a function of kV at a determined distance. This output is not constant for all equipment and shall be given by the specific x ray manufacturer. On the other hand it shell be get by direct measurements. Than one can apply the distance square inverse law.

rooney
NDT Inspector,
Vietnam, Joined Jun 2013, 25

rooney

NDT Inspector,
Vietnam,
Joined Jun 2013
14:28 Apr-13-2016
In Reply to Kratus Ranieri at 18:07 Jun-25-2015 .

I have the same question.

Laurent
Consultant,
France, Joined Mar 2016, 16

Laurent

Consultant,
France,
Joined Mar 2016
17:41 Apr-14-2016
In Reply to Hajar at 12:31 Jun-17-2015 (Opening).

Hi Hajar

A on site method:
Use your dosimeter and adjust it in order to measure a quantity of radiation and not a flow of radiation.
Place it in most negative case meaning in the beam 1 meter after the windows of ejection.
Turn on your X ray equipment to the max during for exemple 2min.
So you have the quantity of radiation at 1 m during to min.
As it you can define the flow of radiation in Gray by hour (D1). For the full body of an human 1 Gy = 1 Sv
As D1/L2²=D2/L1² you can define the maximum limit of the area where D2 is the flow for public area.
If you have only the annual dose divide it by the number of legal working hour of your country to have a flow Sv/h.
Hoping to have been enough clear

Joe Buckley
Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT, United Kingdom, Joined Oct 1999, 528

Joe Buckley

Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
23:26 Apr-18-2016
In Reply to Laurent at 17:41 Apr-14-2016 .

If you are not sure of the proper safe distances for using X-ray equipment, are not aware of the relevant legal requirements, and have not been fully trained and certified then it is very simple

DO NOT USE X-RAY EQUIPMENT!

This stuff is potentially very hazardous. It is not a game for the 'casual user'

I have been working with NDT equipment in other fields for 35 years. I know the Physics, but there is absolutely no way I would touch this equipment without competent supervision.

rooney
NDT Inspector,
Vietnam, Joined Jun 2013, 25

rooney

NDT Inspector,
Vietnam,
Joined Jun 2013
04:43 Apr-19-2016
In Reply to Joe Buckley at 23:26 Apr-18-2016 .

Dear Mr Joe Buckley,
Thank for your recommendation. But if you know the answer please let us know. Don't just recomend that people should stay away from it, people should be qualified because everybody who come in to this question knows that It is harzardous and people are asking how to avoid it. And not only qualified people relate to this activity but others as well.

Joe Buckley
Level X NDT, BINDT, United Kingdom, Joined Oct 1999, 528

Joe Buckley

Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
10:21 Apr-19-2016
In Reply to rooney at 04:43 Apr-19-2016 .

The point is this is not a question where someone can tell you the answer. This is a safety critical situation where someone has to understand all the relevant facts, and applicable legislation. before they can make a proper assessment.

Laurent
Consultant,
France, Joined Mar 2016, 16

Laurent

Consultant,
France,
Joined Mar 2016
16:55 Apr-20-2016
In Reply to Joe Buckley at 10:21 Apr-19-2016 .

This method is used by notified body in France and certainly in Europe and in the rest of the World to qualify each year the X-ray equipment because the information given by the manufacturer can be wrong...

Which method is used in UK?

Product Spotlight

Varex Imaging Large Field of View (FOV) Digital Detector Arrays (DDAs)

A larger FOV DDA can reduce the space and volume of the X-ray inspection system on the factory floor
, enable faster scanning times, better throughput and better resolution images at a lower dose. Customers can also save time and money. With these benefits in mind, Varex Imaging has designed a family of large FOV detectors (4343HE, XRD 1611, 4343DX-I, 4343CT) for our industrial imaging customers.
>

High-performance Linear Phased Array Probes

Available to order from stock in a range of 5MHz – 7.5MHz and from 16 to 64 elements. Designed w
ith piezo-composite elements, Phoenix phased array probes provide high-resolution imaging to maximise sensitivity; accurate ultrasonic detection and sizing of defects in welds; and effective corrosion mapping. Housed in a rugged stainless steel case for on-site industrial NDT applications.
>

Ultrasonic Probe Recharacterization Service

NDT Systems offers a comprehensive Aftercare and Recharacterization Service for all our ultrasonic
probes. The Recharacterization Service is fully compliant with International ASTM E1065 Standard Guide (and other applicable standards) and offers complete documentation, traceable to the ASTM E1065 Standard. For more details or to schedule Recharacterization Services contact ndtsales@ndtsystems.com
>

GEKKO - Portable Phased Array Testing with TFM in Real-Time

The portable phased array testing system GEKKO provides 64 parallel test channels. On creating testi
ng parameters the operator is assisted by the CIVA software. Due to its modular set-up the GEKKO instrument is suitable for operators of all skill levels.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window