where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Chuck Davis
Mexico, Joined May 2016, 12

Chuck Davis

Mexico,
Joined May 2016
17:24 Jun-27-2016
AUT vs Crawlers for production on long gas lines

Could anyone help me with a couple of questions on AUT vs. Crawlers

I am under the impression that the amount of repairs that might show up on an inspection of double wall pipe might be more with Crawlers than AUT. Is that correct, or am I wrong?

I have heard that anamolies, or problems that would show up on crawlers might invoke more repairs. And not necessarily be problems, but would have to be repaired because of the type of procedure used for crawler is different for AUT. Any opinions?

Would be greatly appreciated.

Alan
Saudi Arabia, Joined May 2013, 6

Alan

Saudi Arabia,
Joined May 2013
23:17 Jun-27-2016
Re: AUT vs Crawlers for production on long gas lines
In Reply to Chuck Davis at 17:24 Jun-27-2016 (Opening).

Good evening Chuck,

AUT tends to focus more on the bevel sidewalls as compared to RT which wouldn't miss a 3mm Pore that AUT at times might. Both the techniques have their own advantages and disadvantages and shouldn't be compared. Both the techniques use API 1104 for evaluation again which are basically the same. I unfortunately haven't had the chance to work with RT and I wouldn't be able to answer all of your questions I'm sorry.

I would recommend AUT when it comes to long pipelines, the primary reason being that if you're running a semi automatic / automatic welding mainline setup, your biggest concern would be production in which case AUT would give you more real time results in the sense that the AUT crew would be just beyond the mainline most of the time. You can even have the welding crew informed beforehand as well for certain indications that keep repeating themselves at particular locations, the welders and the on site technician would be more than willing to fix it once you give them the depth, the location and the height and they figure out which pass it comes from. You can also have a repair crew run behind the AUT crew to fix the repairs immediately. Overall this kinda setup usually works out very well for everyone.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards
Alan

Product Spotlight

HD-CR 35 NDT Computed Radiography System

Portable high-resolution CR scanner for all radiography applications - weld testing, profile images
and aerospace. No matter what type of radiographic testing you are performing, the unique TreFoc Technology of the HD-CR 35 NDT imaging plate scanner always guarantees the highest image quality.
>

Panther

M2M PANTHER is a phased-array equipment designed for both desktop and industrial applications, offer
ing unparalleled performance in a compact unit. It combines the speed required for industrial integrated Phased-Array Ultrasound (PAUT) solutions, with the most complete set of total focusing method (TFM) imaging techniques, making it the ultimate tool for R&D and procedure qualification.
>

GEKKO - Portable Phased Array Testing with TFM in Real-Time

The portable phased array testing system GEKKO provides 64 parallel test channels. On creating testi
ng parameters the operator is assisted by the CIVA software. Due to its modular set-up the GEKKO instrument is suitable for operators of all skill levels.
>

NovaScope 6000

The all-digital Novascope 6000 is a portable, ultra-high precision thickness gauge for high-speed
thickness measurement. Novascope 6000 has unmatched capabilities and unique features including: •Superior Resolution with high contrast, high-speed color RF display •High pulser voltage •Real-time video output •Increased internal/external data storage •Programmable SetUp features •Battery & AC Powered
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window