where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Matec Instrument Companies, Inc.
Ultrasonic test instrumentation and systems for quality control inspection and production testing applications and scientific research.

Career Discussions
BRuno
Student,
Argentina, Joined Jun 2013, 21

BRuno

Student,
Argentina,
Joined Jun 2013
00:40 Jul-21-2016
What's the best online course Phased Array and API 510 ?

I would like to apply for API 510 certification and see if I can get some kind of validation from some institute in Phased Array. I'm Level 2 in RT/UT/LP have a 3 years engineering degree and 4 years of experience in NDT in field.

Is any online course I can take to certify Level 2 UTPA or maybe API 510 ?? how do you do it without busting the bank??

Thank you in advance

Josh de Monbrun
Engineering, NDT Level III / Commercial Diving Supervisor
MISTRAS, USA, Joined Jul 2016, 3

Josh de Monbrun

Engineering, NDT Level III / Commercial Diving Supervisor
MISTRAS,
USA,
Joined Jul 2016
00:27 Jul-26-2016
Re: What's the best online course Phased Array and API 510 ?
In Reply to BRuno at 00:40 Jul-21-2016 (Opening).

Bruno,

There are some online PAUT courses, that may be rich in fundamental knowledge, but few will meet most company's certification requirements for "class room training". Most companies require a certain percentage of training to be "hands-on", along with the "knowledge" and "testing" portions. You can't replace the amount you'll learn by physically using the machine during your class room training.

I understand cost is a big factor of concern, but it's also usually tied to the quality of training you'll receive. Keep in mind, that the the quality of inspection, is only as good as the competence and capability of the inspector, not the equipment or method. Don't cheat yourself out of learning as much as you can by short-cutting with online training, in lieu of attending an "in-person" class with a quality instructor. Holding a PAUT certification may get you hired, but in this small industry, it's very easy to earn a poor reputation for yourself, if you are unable to provide quality results. Remember, we are providing asset integrity services to protect lives, as well as infrastructure.

As for the API 510, there are many online test preparation courses available. Atlas and CodeWest have decent programs for about $800USD (https://www.atlasapitraining.com / www.codewest.com). A quick google search can help you find a program that best suites your needs and budget.

Good luck!

Bruno
Student,
Argentina, Joined Jun 2013, 21

Bruno

Student,
Argentina,
Joined Jun 2013
20:32 Jul-26-2016
In Reply to Josh de Monbrun at 00:27 Jul-26-2016 .

Thank you so much for your reply.

I understand perfectly what you say and I agree 100% and of course I don't expect to replace the hands-on training with an online course.

But I can't travel to the states or europe (I'm from Argentina) and I don't knwo any trustworthy institute over here that has a good Phased Array program.

Anmol Birring
Consultant,
Birring NDE Center, Inc., USA, Joined Aug 2011, 820

Anmol Birring

Consultant,
Birring NDE Center, Inc.,
USA,
Joined Aug 2011
16:14 Jul-28-2016
In Reply to Bruno at 20:32 Jul-26-2016 .

If you can arrange 6 students, I will come to Argentina and teach

Bruno
Bruno
14:02 Jul-29-2016
In Reply to Anmol Birring at 16:14 Jul-28-2016 .

This is very interesting Anmol. I would need some details about price, currículum vitae, what would you bring, training duration. Etc so i can evaluaré if i can promote this or not. Please send me the details at bjramariutn@hotmail.com.

Would also take exam and give level 2 ASNT certificarte?

Product Spotlight

Research and Application Development For NDT

Acuren’s Research and Application Development specializes in the development of advanced ultraso
nic inspection techniques and systems for challenging inspection applications, with an emphasis on practical solutions which are field deployable. Services include manual and automated ultrasonic inspection system development, inspection technique optimization using laboratory scale studies and ultrasonic modeling (CIVA, BeamTool), preparing technical justification for technique evaluation and qualification (Probability of Detection and sizing accuracy studies), inspection/calibration/analysis procedure preparation to support field deployment of custom techniques, and development of custom imaging algorithms to support challenging inspection applications.
>

HD-CR 35 NDT Computed Radiography System

Portable high-resolution CR scanner for all radiography applications - weld testing, profile images
and aerospace. No matter what type of radiographic testing you are performing, the unique TreFoc Technology of the HD-CR 35 NDT imaging plate scanner always guarantees the highest image quality.
>

Robotic laser shearography enables 100% inspection of complex, flight-critical composite structures

An article in “Composites World Magazine” showcases Non Destructive Testing of aero-structures
with Laser Shearography. Over the years Dantec Dynamics has supplied many solutions for the aerospace industry. Referring to specific customer projects several of these cases are examined to outline the advantages of using Laser Shearography for automated defect detection.
>

Combination of Digital Image Correlation and Thermographic Measurements

The combination of measuring results from the digital image correlation (ARAMIS, DIC) and temperat
ure measuring data from infrared cameras permits the simultaneous analysis of the thermal and mechanical behavior of test specimens in the materials and components testing field.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window