where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Raymond Johnson
United Kingdom, Joined Aug 2016, 3

Raymond Johnson

United Kingdom,
Joined Aug 2016
17:37 Aug-11-2016
A-scan test data for matlab users.

Hello everyone. I am new to this area. I was wondering if somebody could pass me a few scans to play with.
In particular, I was looking for a-scans along the lines of Figure 3 and Figure 4 in the following post from the NDT net: http://www.ndt.net/apcndt2001/papers/1162/1162.htm.

Also, it would be great if some experimental condition regarding the data was provided.

I am interested in estimating reflections in multiple-layered object so the location of reflecting layers is critical to the cause. Finally, even better if the data was in Matlab.

Ed Ginzel
R & D, -
Materials Research Institute, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 1300

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
20:41 Aug-11-2016
Re: A-scan test data for matlab users.
In Reply to Raymond Johnson at 17:37 Aug-11-2016 (Opening).

Raymond, if you go to a recent forum post I made with a waveform analysis programme:
http://www.ndt.net/forum/thread.php?admin=&forenID=0&msgID=64178&rootID=64178#64178
there you will find 3 txt files as part of the programme so that any interested parties could experiment with a typical data file. Txt format places the time in one column and amplitude in the next adjacent column. The data provided is from a through-transmission setup so it does not have the multiples you pointed to in your referenced paper.

Henry Herrera
R & D,
UT Quality, Canada, Joined Jun 2000, 19

Henry Herrera

R & D,
UT Quality,
Canada,
Joined Jun 2000
19:07 Aug-17-2016
Re: A-scan test data for matlab users.
In Reply to Raymond Johnson at 17:37 Aug-11-2016 (Opening).

Raymond, you could generate your own synthetics at least for learning purposes.
I am sharing some Matlab codes that you could use and play with to create you own wavelet and reflectivity functions. This could be useful to simulate layered media or multiple reflectors with different polarities (let's assume that negative polarity is equivalent to phase reversal).
I am also sharing a real TOFD dataset with sample code for deconvolution in the entire dataset or a single A-Scan.
For simplicity I used a for loop, but it works a lot faster using the parallel processing version parfor.

The code generates figures for the paper
- Herrera R.H., Liu Z., Raffa N., Christensen P. & Elvers A. Improving Time Estimation by Blind Deconvolution: with Applications to TOFD and Backscatter Sizing. NDT in Canada 2015, Edmonton, AB, Canada (June 15-17, 2015).
- http://www.ndt.net/events/NDTCanada2015/app/content/Paper/8_Herrera_Rev1.pdf

You can find the Matlab codes and PPT Slides with more information in:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/277330160_Improving_Time_Estimation_by_Blind_Deconvolution_with_Applications_to_TOFD_and_Backscatter_Sizing

Please feel free to play with the code and let me know if you need further assistance.
Hope this helps.
Henry

Product Spotlight

Immersion systems

ScanMaster ultrasonic immersion systems are designed for high throughput, multi shift operation in a
n industrial or lab environment. These fully integrated systems provide various scanning configurations and incorporate conventional and phased arrays technologies to support diverse applications, such as inspection of disks, bars, shafts, billets and plates. All of ScanMaster immersion systems are built from high accuracy scanning frames allowing for scanning of complex parts and include a multi-channel ultrasonic instrument with exceptional performance. The systems are approved by all major manufacturers for C-scan inspection of jet engine forged discs. Together with a comprehensive set of software modules these flexible series of systems provide the customer with the best price performance solutions.
>

iProbe - USB Phased Array Probe

Turn your PC, Laptop or Tablet into a powerful 32:64 Phased Array system with our USB powered Phas
ed Array iProbe and inspection software package. Perform affordable weld inspection and corrosion mapping inspections with this powerful but small system. The probe has a 100V pulser, 8K PRF, dual axis encoder input and achieves outstanding signal quality.
>

AIS229 - Multipurpose Real Time System

Latest standard & automatic real time system developed by Balteau. The AIS229 has been designed to
do series inspection in a wide variety of industry. Composed of a shielded cabinet, 5 axis manipulator, x-ray generator and tubehead from 160kV to 225kV, a fl at panel & much more, the AIS229 is most certainly one of the most multipurpose RTR system available on the market.
>

Conformable wedge transducer

The conformability is obtained with a flexible membrane filled with water between the transducer and
the inspected component. The coupling between the membrane and the component requires a small quantity of water or couplant. The conformable wedge combines the acoustic performance of immersion technique with good coupling and low attenuation.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window