where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

PBP Optel sp. z o.o.
Weare searching new ways - in ultrasonic techniques- in creation of new productsUltrasonic instruments - Ultrasonic Testing Card
Technical Discussions
Ed T.
Other, ASNT Level III, UT, RT, MT, PT, VT
NDT Level III, Saudi Arabia, Joined Sep 2011, 169

Ed T.

Other, ASNT Level III, UT, RT, MT, PT, VT
NDT Level III,
Saudi Arabia,
Joined Sep 2011
13:20 Aug-14-2012
Scan Plan for Transition Welds

We are developing scanplans for transition welds, fom one thickness to another.

How do we make the scan plans using Beamtool?

Ed Ginzel
R & D, -
Materials Research Institute, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 1280

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
14:21 Aug-14-2012
Re: Scan Plan for Transition Welds
In Reply to Ed T. at 13:20 Aug-14-2012 (Opening).

zoom image

Transition

Provision is made in Beamtool in the "Piece configuration" section to make the geometry slope. I think this is new in version 5. You could also import a DXF file.

gary
gary
20:35 Aug-14-2012
In Reply to Ed Ginzel at 14:21 Aug-14-2012 .

sir

may i ask were you got this tool and is available for downloading for use thank you
gary

Ed Ginzel
R & D, -

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
21:41 Aug-14-2012
In Reply to gary at 20:35 Aug-14-2012 .

Gary, the image is from ESBT5. ESBeamTool is available from Eclipse. See their link on the front page of NDT.net or use http://www.eclipsescientific.com/

John Lomax
NDT Inspector,
USA, Joined Jul 2016, 6

John Lomax

NDT Inspector,
USA,
Joined Jul 2016
18:23 Oct-20-2016
In Reply to Ed Ginzel at 14:21 Aug-14-2012 .

Ed,

What are the benefits of using something like beamtool vs. auto desk inventor which is something that is more specific for cad use only and is what I'm using currently. I can think of some obvious ones like beam spread and actually being able to see the sound propagate through the material but wanted some more input. I'm specifically making scan plans for T-Joints with backing bars. AWS D1.1 is the code. Thickness of material ranges from 3/16" to 5/8" being fit up to anything from 1/2" to 4" base plate or flange plate. (I am aware that 3/16" and 1/4" are not recognized in the standard code so we are using Annex Q alternative methods for the ut of welds and have the proper procedures in place to do so from my understanding as of now. There seem to be many tolerances and I am trying to use every combination to ensure that we get 100% coverage even with all max or min tolerances utilized. I'm trying to account for bevel angle specified as 45 degrees on the print with a + or - 10 degrees, refracted angle of 70 degrees but as the code states I have a tolerance of + or - 2 degrees, the amount of backing extending from the shaft butting up with the flange or bracket in this case, which has a tolerance of 3/16" to 1/2" based on the pre-qualified cjp weld that's being called out.

Ed Ginzel
R & D, -

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
21:24 Oct-20-2016
In Reply to John Lomax at 18:23 Oct-20-2016 .

John, this is an old thread!:) Good thing Rolf has the alert functions!
Indeed you can draw everything in a drawing package. But then you do not have a library of shapes, probe parameters, wedge options, material properties lists that are used to define refraction angles for specific incident angles...then there is also the mode conversion effects, beam spread boundary options. All these features can be calculated on a calculator and drawn, but it will take a long time.
One of the add-on modules that is used for zonal discrimination in AUT is the Zonal Add-on. You can configure a set of phased-array delay laws for a given profile with the click of a button. IT is optimised for you in a matter of 2-3 seconds. You might spend days trying the various combinations manually.
As for all the tolerances to deal with, I suppose you can mix and match but why not use the nominal and check if your nominal setup has sufficient capability to address the tolerances?

John Lomax
NDT Inspector,
USA, Joined Jul 2016, 6

John Lomax

NDT Inspector,
USA,
Joined Jul 2016
14:34 Oct-24-2016
In Reply to Ed Ginzel at 21:24 Oct-20-2016 .

Thank you Ed. I'll see if I can't get them to buy the software and I'll try the nominal first and go from there.

Product Spotlight

IRIS 9000Plus - Introducing the next generation of heat exchanger inspection.

Representing the seventh generation of the IRIS system, the IRIS 9000 Plus has nearly 200 years of c
ombined field inspection experience incorporated in its design. This experience combined with a strong commitment to quality and a history of innovation has made Iris Inspection Services® the undisputed leader in IRIS technology.
>

YXLON Cougar EVO

Scalable small footprint X-ray inspection systems for assembly and laboratory applications. The
YXLON Cougar EVO series was designed to provide the "best-in- class" inspection solutions for SMT, semiconductor, and laboratory assembly applications, while maintaining a small system footprint for maximum convenience. With optimized software and hardware, these systems produce higher quality and more consistent results than other electronics inspection systems currently on the market.
>

Surf-X® Array Probe

Introducing the Surf-X family of flexible Eddy Current Array (ECA) probes. Featuring unique multiple
coil sets and proprietary X-PROBE technology, Surf-X array probes can quickly and accurately handle a range of inspection applications, from inspecting corrosion or cracking in pipes, pressure vessels, or tanks, to assessing and sizing cracks in raised welds and friction stir welds.
>

NOVO Armor 15 & NOVO Armor 22

The Armor Kit Contains the NOVO Armor, which provides additional mechanical protection to the NOVO 1
5WN & NOVO 22WN Detectors, the Armor Stand and a traveling soft cover. - Newest shock absorbent technology case - Water resistant design - Supports wired & wireless communication - Multiple positioning options - Tripod connection using the Built-in 1/4” threads - Simple Detector battery replacement
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window