where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Stan
NDT Inspector,
Canada, Joined Jan 2009, 31

Stan

NDT Inspector,
Canada,
Joined Jan 2009
19:57 Oct-27-2016
MT Wet Bench Question

Hi guys, I'm just looking for a little advice.
I was under the assumption that when using circular magnetization (head shots) on a hollow part that you calculate the effective diameter, based on the square root of the sum of the ID squared and OD squared, however, in ASTM E709 I can find no reference to this.
Will someone enlighten me as to whether the effective diameter applies to longitudinal magnetization (coil shots) only or if it also applies to circular magnetization.
Thanks
Stan

Michel Couture
NDT Inspector,
consultant, Canada, Joined Sep 2006, 847

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
02:40 Oct-28-2016
Re: MT Wet Bench Question
In Reply to Stan at 19:57 Oct-27-2016 (Opening).

Stan,

You should use the effective diameter as well for circular magnétisation.

Product Spotlight

NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe

DOPPLER NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe, more stable, new tyre makes lesser acoustic attenuation
, much lighter makes easier to handle, more slim size, magnetic and mechanical encoder optional etc...more
>

Navic - Steerable Modular Automated Scanner

The Navic is a modular, motorized, steerable scanner designed to carry multiple attachments used
in various scanning and inspection applications. The Navic is capable of weld scanning (girth welds and long seam welds), automated corrosion mapping, and tank scanning.
>

Teletest Focus+

Teletest Focus+ electronics have superior capabilities than rivals on the market. Beyond the usual
test features, Focus+ has 24 transmit channels and 24 receive channels, with an additional on-board switching capabilities. The instrument's frequency range is 10–300 kHz.
>

Cygnus 6+ PRO Multi-Mode Ultrasonic Thickness Gauge

The Cygnus 6+ PRO thickness gauge is the most advance gauge within the Cygnus range with key featu
res including: comprehensive data logging; A-scan and B-scan display; manual gain control; Bluetooth connectivity; and much more. With its unique dual display and three measuring modes (Multiple-Echo, Echo-Echo and Single-Echo), this surface thickness gauge offers maximum versatility for inspections.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window