where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Radoslaw
NDT Inspector, Materials Engineer
Poland, Joined Apr 2012, 51

Radoslaw

Poland,
Joined Apr 2012
15:26 Apr-04-2017
A-scan drawing

Hello,

Because I'm preparing some education materials I have to do a few special charts (ultrasonic A-scan). Is there any free software where I can do that or how I can do that?

Best Regards

Michel Couture
NDT Inspector,
consultant, Canada, Joined Sep 2006, 889

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
17:34 Apr-04-2017
Re: A-scan drawing
In Reply to Radoslaw at 15:26 Apr-04-2017 (Opening).

Radoslaw,

I don't know if I properly understand when you mention special chart "A scan". Do you mean a representation of an A scan like you see on a screen? If so, I suggest to use an instrument which would allow you a screen capture, then setup an A scan signal from a notch or any reflector of a calibration block. Make a screen capture of it and voilà.

If you don't have an instrument allowing you to do screen capture, setup as per above, but take a picture of your screen with a camera.

Radoslaw

Radoslaw

Poland,
Joined Apr 2012
21:18 Apr-04-2017
In Reply to Michel Couture at 17:34 Apr-04-2017 .

Michael,

I have to draw signals like on ultrasonic gage (on screen) but I don't have any equipment.

Like here:

http://www.ndt.net/article/apcndt01/papers/1154/fig2.gif

Only that They have to be more readable.

Joe Buckley
Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT, United Kingdom, Joined Oct 1999, 528

Joe Buckley

Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
22:09 Apr-05-2017
In Reply to Radoslaw at 21:18 Apr-04-2017 .

It depends on what exactly you are trying to produce, you can do a fair bit with excel charts, although generating the data can be tedious

Radoslaw

Radoslaw

Poland,
Joined Apr 2012
07:34 Apr-06-2017
In Reply to Joe Buckley at 22:09 Apr-05-2017 .

Exactly I can do it in Excel, but generating the data...;/
This are learning materials I have to draw:
On one chart:
1. Initial echo
2. 1st Backwall echo
3. noise 30%FSH
4. One/Two peaks
5. 2nd backwall echo

Ed Ginzel
R & D, -
Materials Research Institute, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 1300

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
13:39 Apr-06-2017
In Reply to Radoslaw at 07:34 Apr-06-2017 .

Radoslaw, if you have access to Beamtool from Eclipse there is an option to display a simulated A-scan. You can adjust a variety of parameters and it calculates the location of signals and their amplitudes based on the geometry and probe setup you model the beams with.

Radoslaw

Radoslaw

Poland,
Joined Apr 2012
14:17 Apr-06-2017
In Reply to Ed Ginzel at 13:39 Apr-06-2017 .

Thanks Ed,

I know that software, I had access in my previous company but not now. Good to hear about this function.

Tnak you for your answear.

St. Neel
NDT Inspector,
Bureau Veritas Industrial Services, United Arab Emirates (UAE), Joined Jun 2015, 26

St. Neel

NDT Inspector,
Bureau Veritas Industrial Services,
United Arab Emirates (UAE),
Joined Jun 2015
17:03 Apr-07-2017

you can use UT_Man software.

J.B.
J.B.
20:05 Apr-10-2017
In Reply to St. Neel at 17:03 Apr-07-2017 .

I had a similar problem to solve - generating Illustrations without having access to a UT device with hard copy possibility - (of course we had a lot of such systems but at the time I needed it, they all were in use by other colleagues.

But no problem:
You can "fake" every indication you want, if you just use the image search of google.
Just search for "Ultrasonic a-scan" and you get a lot of original screenshots, which you can simply re-arrange with a lot of image editing tools - for simple applications I use often SNAG-IT, but Correl and other can do the same.

You get such a lot of sample indication - real screen shots, but also generalized sketches, which may be even better for training - so it shopuld be easy the generate every Image you want.

e.g. just copy this line in your browser:
https://www.google.de/search?q=ultrasonic+a-scan%23&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiU_qnjuprTAhUpAcAKHddECrwQsAQINQ&biw=1600&bih=689#tbm=isch&q=ultrasonic+a-scan
and you hundrets of samples

Henry
R & D,
UT Quality, Canada, Joined Jun 2000, 19

Henry

R & D,
UT Quality,
Canada,
Joined Jun 2000
22:02 Apr-10-2017

zoom image

Radoslaw,
You could do that using Matlab, if you have the license, or using Octave which is free software.
Here is the link to Octave: https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave/windows/
I am attaching an example with generates a synthetic trace and you can start playing with it. You first create a wavelet (ultrasound pulse) and then convolve it with the reflectivity. In the reflectivity you can include the reflectors with their amplitudes. You can also add noise by uncommenting line "%y=y+0.08*rand(1,length(y));", where 0.08 is the standard deviation of the noise.
This file synthetic_01.m runs in both Matlab and Octave. The signal generated should be the same as the one used in this paper: http://www.ndt.net/events/NDTCanada2015/app/content/Paper/8_Herrera_Rev1.pdf
Hope this helps,
Regards,
Henry
PS I cannot attach the file, it is not supported by the forum rules.
Just copy the next code and create and a script in Octave:

%% This code generates the wavelet and the reflectivity.
% Improving Time Estimation by Blind Deconvolution: with Applications to TOFD and Backscatter Sizing.
% Available from: http://www.ndt.net/events/NDTCanada2015/app/content/Paper/8_Herrera_Rev1.pdf

n=1:1000;
% generating the ultrasonic pulse (wavelet)
wn=0.7-0.0004*n;
for k=1:49
h(k,:)=cos(wn*(k-22))*exp((-(k-24)^2)/100);
end

% generating the reflectivity
deltas=[zeros(1,49) 1 zeros(1,399) -0.3*1 zeros(1,49) 0.5*1 zeros(1,300) 0.4 zeros(1,19) -0.9 zeros(1,1320)];
deltas = deltas(1:1024);

h1=h(:,1);
h1=h1(1:49);

% convolving reflectivity with the wavelet
y=conv(deltas,h1,'same');

y=y(1:1024);
% if you want to add noise uncomment next line
%y=y+0.08*rand(1,length(y));
y=y(1:1024)-mean(y);
h1=h1';

figure
subplot(211); plot(deltas,'k'); title('(a) Ideal reflectivity')
axis tight
subplot(212); plot(y,'k'); title('(b) Simulated signal = conv (wavelet, reflectivity) ')
axis tight

Henry
R & D,
UT Quality, Canada, Joined Jun 2000, 19

Henry

R & D,
UT Quality,
Canada,
Joined Jun 2000
00:08 Apr-11-2017

Radoslaw,
I have simplified my previous comment with an IPython notebook. Feel free to modify the code changing the number of reflectors and the position and also the amount of additive noise.
Here is the link:
https://github.com/rhenryherrera/ultrasonic_dsp/blob/master/synthetic_01.ipynb

Regards,
Henry

Product Spotlight

Research Center IDEKO develops an ultrasonic train wheel inspection system for CAF

The Basque Research centre IK4-IDEKO has developed a state-of-the-art ultrasonic inspection system f
or the train wheel. This system secures a sound condition of train wheels and is thus a significant contribution to rail transport safety. The device was delivered to CAF recently and its use allows the manufacturer to become an approved supplier of rolling stock in Italy, as it meets the demanding homologation standards of this country. \\\\r\\\\n
>

Compact NDT inspection-heads for measurements with active thermography

The compact inspection head is suitable for thermographic ndt tasks. The uncooled infrared camera
is specially developed for NDI-tasks and offers a thermal sensitivity until now known only from thermal imagers with cooled detector. All required components and functions are integrated into the inspection-head. You will only need an ethernet cable to connect the sensor with the evaluation system.
>

Cygnus 6+ PRO Multi-Mode Ultrasonic Thickness Gauge

The Cygnus 6+ PRO thickness gauge is the most advance gauge within the Cygnus range with key featu
res including: comprehensive data logging; A-scan and B-scan display; manual gain control; Bluetooth connectivity; and much more. With its unique dual display and three measuring modes (Multiple-Echo, Echo-Echo and Single-Echo), this surface thickness gauge offers maximum versatility for inspections.
>

Micro CT

nanoVoxel series has nano-scale resolution by using high voltage X-ray source (from 80-300 kV) wit
h micro focal spot and highly sensitive detector including different kinds of big size panel detectors and lens coupling CCD.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window