where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Volume Graphics GmbH
Leading industrial companies around the world look for defects in their products using Volume Graphics software.
Technical Discussions
Peter
Singapore, Joined Jan 2012, 119

Peter

Singapore,
Joined Jan 2012
10:45 Jul-02-2014
RADIOGRAPHIC FILM

Dear All,

I would like to purchase RT film for training. I already contacted sonaspection and flawtech and they dont sell any RT film for training. Can anybody give me contact of people selling film for training. Thanks in advance.

Peter

Michel Couture
NDT Inspector,
consultant, Canada, Joined Sep 2006, 850

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
21:55 Jul-02-2014
Re: RADIOGRAPHIC FILM
In Reply to Peter at 10:45 Jul-02-2014 (Opening).

Peter,
What do you mean by film for training?

Films that were shot and show something with flaws in them?

Jon Wallis
NDT Inspector, -
Netherlands, Joined Feb 2010, 626

Jon Wallis

NDT Inspector, -
Netherlands,
Joined Feb 2010
15:09 Jul-03-2014

Do you want to train yourself or give training to others?
Whether the IIW collection is still available for purchase, I don't know. The sets I know of which came in a cardboard box and were classified in 5 categories were ancient, not using modern welding processes and with (understandibly) very obvious hard to miss, in your face discontinuities.
In my experience the best way is to try and make your own collection of radiographs with defects from the real world. If you have a radiograph and you need more examples then get it copied by an ndt company with a copying facility.

Peter
Singapore, Joined Jan 2012, 119

Peter

Singapore,
Joined Jan 2012
03:10 Jul-04-2014
In Reply to Jon Wallis at 15:09 Jul-03-2014 .

Hi,

Yes. I am planning to train the NDT personnels in accodance with SNT-TC-1A. We dont have many test pieces and thats the reason i am looking to purcahse film for interpretation. Please advice.

Peter

Uwe Zscherpel
Director,
BAM Berlin, Germany, Joined Jan 2010, 81

Uwe Zscherpel

Director,
BAM Berlin,
Germany,
Joined Jan 2010
09:44 Jul-08-2014
In Reply to Jon Wallis at 15:09 Jul-03-2014 .

The International Institute of Welding (IIW) publishe a collection of 60 reference radiographs according to ISO 5817 for the assessment of weld imperfections. This collection is distributed via the DVS Media in Germany. It is the updated collection of the old IIW cataloque in a cardbox, which was from the 1950 and 1960 years and shouldn't be used anymore.
This collection is perfect for education of RT for weld inspection and also as reference for filme evaluation.

Uwe Z.

Ogulcan
Engineering,
Akademi NDT, Turkey, Joined Nov 2013, 2

Ogulcan

Engineering,
Akademi NDT,
Turkey,
Joined Nov 2013
08:02 Jul-17-2014

Dear Peter,

I also recommend IIW catalogue for training (we are using that in our training school)

You can find radiographs in below link;

http://www.ndtmart.com/reference-radiographs-5817-p-3610.html

Hamid Reza
Canada, Joined Oct 2016, 68

Hamid Reza

Canada,
Joined Oct 2016
11:35 Apr-28-2017
In Reply to Ogulcan at 08:02 Jul-17-2014 .

Hi,

There is a collection of 56 radiographic images published by "Netherlands' Centre for Welding Technique". The main benefit of this collection is that it has both the pictures of weld and the weld macros along with the radiographs. It is very easy to learn and remember complicated and combined flaws with the help of those macros. Also there are a lot of radiographs from double joint preparations. I highly recommend this collection.

I do not know if it is ok to upload a sample here or not. So I did not.

Sincerely,
EB

Matthias
NDT Inspector, CEO
Dreifeld Materialprüftechnik, Germany, Joined Sep 2005, 91

Matthias

NDT Inspector, CEO
Dreifeld Materialprüftechnik,
Germany,
Joined Sep 2005
10:07 May-02-2017

Hi, I know this is an old request, but it might be some help to others as well.

There is a free guideline from the german DGZfP, its called "Guidline D 05" (found here: http://www.dgzfp.de/Dienste/Publikationen), its a bilingual pdf file that shows reference radiographs for gray iron castings and ductile iron castings.

Anmol Birring
Consultant,
Birring NDE Center, Inc., USA, Joined Aug 2011, 747

Anmol Birring

Consultant,
Birring NDE Center, Inc.,
USA,
Joined Aug 2011
04:10 May-03-2017

For proper film interpretation training you need at least 500 films with flaws and no flaws and this can be a challenge. I have seen film sets with about 24-50 films sold for training, but the problem is that the flaws in them are too obvious.

Shank Vagal
India, Joined Jun 2014, 73

Shank Vagal

India,
Joined Jun 2014
15:04 May-03-2017
In Reply to Hamid Reza at 11:35 Apr-28-2017 .

EB,
Please upload all these films as it will benefit the community a lot.

Hamid Reza

Hamid Reza

Canada,
Joined Oct 2016
15:28 May-03-2017
In Reply to Shank Vagal at 15:04 May-03-2017 .

@Matthias

I beleive the collection you mentioned is the best one can get for casting. Really impressed. Very comprehensive. I was looking for something similar for quite a time. Thank you.

@Anmol

I have access to around 5000 radiographs that are not copyrighted. Already in jpg format. Mainly from pipleline projects. I got them from a Telegram discussion group. It would be nice if we can have an interpretation group here on ndt.net and discuss the flaws on these radiographs. Then it can be gradually moved to article/tutorial/education section of this website.

I have yet to see many of radiographic flaws in reference radiographs sold by different organizations. For example I have not seen silica inclusion and oxidized root on any of the reference radiographs by IIW, Agfa, Kodak and NCWT. But I have many samples of these type that discussion group that can be organized and made available for free here.

@shank

I am not able to do so. Because they are copyrighted. If the forum administrator thinks that it is alright I can upload a sample.

Sergio
Other,
Undisclosed, USA, Joined Oct 2015, 17

Sergio

Other,
Undisclosed,
USA,
Joined Oct 2015
15:49 May-03-2017
In Reply to Hamid Reza at 15:28 May-03-2017 .

@eagerbeaver..are you able to share those with us. I am interested in seeing those.

Dr. Uwe Zscherpel
Director,

Dr. Uwe Zscherpel

Director,
BAM Berlin,
Germany,
Joined Jan 2010
18:59 May-06-2017
In Reply to Sergio at 15:49 May-03-2017 .

@EagerBeaver: Nice that you enjoyed our digitized film collection of heavy steel castings. It was quite some heavy work over decades to have it now freely available.

We also digitized most of the ASTM film catalogues, but the copyrights are still at ASTM and so these collections are sold by ASTM as electronic reference images on DVDs.

For weldments we did the IIW cataloque according to ISO 5817, which is available as printed film catalogue (using a Dry film printer) or in electronic form as tablet version. When you purchase this electronic version, you receive is already installed at a tablet for vieweing and copy protection.
If you are searching for a free weld catalogue, look at
http://dmery.ing.puc.cl/index.php/material/gdxray
There are a lot of X-ray images whic hcan be used for research and education.
We are still working wit hIIW to make more catalogues available in electronic form and at minimum costs for the above aims.
Best regards
Uwe Z.

Hamid Reza

Hamid Reza

Canada,
Joined Oct 2016
19:43 May-06-2017
In Reply to Dr. Uwe Zscherpel at 18:59 May-06-2017 .

Dear Dr. Uwe Zscherpel,

Thank you very much for replying.

May I have the original ASTM film catalogues purchase link? Do you have any comment on their quality as a training material?

I have access to the three versions of IIW reference radiographs.

1. A collection of 34 radiographs.

2. A collection of 81 or 86 radiographs. (the one with colored cardboard, I do not know if it can still be purchased?)

3. A collection of 60 radiographs. I think it is the same as the android app.

May I know how I can contact a person who is closely working on preparing these radiographs? I have reviewed them many times and I have some suggestions to make them even better. I have also some questions about some of the interpretations made.

Thank you very much in advance and thank you again for the casting radiographs and the GDXray.

Sincerely,
EB

Jean m martel
Jean m martel
17:16 Nov-24-2018
In Reply to Hamid Reza at 19:43 May-06-2017 .

I’ve a training kit for sale,, Collection of reference of radiographs of welds “ for sale a 1973 edition by Eurotest Media n.v.
That include over 90 cards with examples radiography.
I’m asking 300.00 us $
I can be contacted on the following: jeanmmartel@yahoo.com
Jean m Martel

Dr. Uwe Zscherpel
Director,

Dr. Uwe Zscherpel

Director,
BAM Berlin,
Germany,
Joined Jan 2010
17:40 Nov-26-2018
In Reply to Hamid Reza at 19:43 May-06-2017 .

Dear Hamid Reza,

I just read your old post from 2017 requesting a contact of an person which is preparing these catalogues. I am the right contact, I am at ASTM in the reference flaw catalogue group and I am also the head of IIW sub-commission V A, which is preparing all the IIW catalogues on film and digital. Here we deveolped in 2016 the Android App with all the digital weld radiographs.
I am very open for any suggestion what to improve or to provide free catalogue versions for education.
I did also the free PDF D5 at DGZfP with the iron castings...

Product Spotlight

Immersion systems

ScanMaster ultrasonic immersion systems are designed for high throughput, multi shift operation in a
n industrial or lab environment. These fully integrated systems provide various scanning configurations and incorporate conventional and phased arrays technologies to support diverse applications, such as inspection of disks, bars, shafts, billets and plates. All of ScanMaster immersion systems are built from high accuracy scanning frames allowing for scanning of complex parts and include a multi-channel ultrasonic instrument with exceptional performance. The systems are approved by all major manufacturers for C-scan inspection of jet engine forged discs. Together with a comprehensive set of software modules these flexible series of systems provide the customer with the best price performance solutions.
>

Echomac® Small

Available with up to eight channels of electronics to detect and evaluate thickness, flaws and eccen
tricity, this UT tester is housed in a convenient, smaller cabinet. This instrument can be used in conjunction with bubbler or immersion tank systems, or with a test bench or in laboratory applications. The Echomac® Small is available in the FD4, FD6 or FD6A versions.
>

FAAST-PA! OEM Patented phased Array for high speed UT inspection

Multiangle, Multifocus, Multifrequency, Multibeam. Instead of stacking UT electronics and having m
any PA probes, FAAST-PA is able to transmit all delay laws within ONE single shot in Real time.
>

Sci Aps Z-Series Portable Handheld Analysers

The world’s only handheld analyzer that measures carbon content in stainless (yes even L-grades),s
teels, and cast irons. Also accepted for low Si analysis for sulfidic corrosion analysis, and is widely used in the power industry for Cr analysis, for flow accelerated corrosion applications.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window