where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
SRINIVASARAO
India, Joined Jun 2017, 2

SRINIVASARAO

India,
Joined Jun 2017
11:25 Jun-03-2017
HARDNESS TEST FOR INCONEL 625 COMPATIBILITY

Dear Experts,

We are intended to do hardness test on Inconel 625 welded joints by using portable hardness tester which we already using for carbon steel & stainless steel joints. we have different settings in the machine for materials(steel & cast steel, alloy tool steel, stainless steel, grey cast iron, spheroidal iron, cast aluminum, brass, bronze, wrought copper alloy) except the one i need (inconel 625). i want to know how can we perform hardness on inconel using this same machine or need any special hardness test equipment for inconel material?

Thanks in advance..

S V Swamy
Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex , India, Joined Feb 2001, 787

S V Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
17:28 Jun-03-2017
Re: HARDNESS TEST FOR INCONEL 625 COMPATIBILITY
In Reply to SRINIVASARAO at 11:25 Jun-03-2017 (Opening).

We need to know the type of portable hardness tester that you are using. Some of them are the indentation type which use the indentors similar to the table top machines but apply very much lesser load. Some are the rebound hardness type where a ball or some other indentor rebounds and the percentage of rebound is used as a measure of the hardness.

I would suggest that you compare Inconel 625 specimen with austenitic stainless steel specimens and see the difference. Another approach would be to prepare specimens that have hardness range matching the specified range using bench testers and then use them as secondary standards for the portable tester assuming that the portable machine readings also reflect that range.

Christoph Frehner
Other,
Queretaro, Joined Oct 2016, 3

Christoph Frehner

Other,
Queretaro,
Joined Oct 2016
10:54 Jun-19-2017
Re: HARDNESS TEST FOR INCONEL 625 COMPATIBILITY
In Reply to SRINIVASARAO at 11:25 Jun-03-2017 (Opening).

From your description, I assume that you are using a rebound Leeb tester, please correct me if I'm wrong.
There you need to select the material group to convert to hardness scales other than the native Leeb scale.
The most common materials are pre-defined and can simply be selected. Others, such as inconel etc. are not predefined. Thus, the best way would be to create this curve by yourself. This means you need some inconel 625 samples (the more the better) with known hardness values (best from a benchtop machine). Next you measure with your portable tester. Based on these results you can easily create the conversion curve for your material. On most devices you can upload such a conversion curve and use it directly on the instrument, otherwise you can still do this manually.
Another, easier and faster solution would be to do a so-called 'one-point shift', where you select an existing conversion curve, and shift it in one point. Also here you would need to have one reference sample made with inconel 625, with known hardness. But one sample is enough.

Product Spotlight

GUL QSR1® Scanning

How do you measure pipe wall thickness without direct access to the area? QSR® Scanning - Guide Wav
e Quantitative Short Range Scanning.
>

Wireless TOFD scanner

Quick, accurate and highly reproducible welds testing. The System operates wirelessly and is compat
ible with any type of Windows based Laptop, Desktop or Tablet.
>

CIVA 2017 UT Module

CIVA NDE Simulation Software is the world leader of NDT Simulation. The UT simulation Module incl
udes: - "Beam computation": Beam propagation simulation - "Inspection Simulation": Beam interaction with flaws or specimens The user can simulate a whole inspection process (pulse echo, tandem or TOFD) with a wide range of probes (conventional, Phased- arrays or EMAT), components, and flaws.
>

NDTkit RT

NDTkit RT, TESTIA's Digital Radiography software The NDTkit product line software for X-ray analysi
s. NDTkit RT is a software benefiting from the Ultis kernel which is dedicated to radiographic image analysis. It offers a set of tools and filtering processes to assist RT operators in finding relevant flaws.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window