where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
ahmed
Engineering, mechanical
Iraq, Joined Jul 2013, 10

ahmed

Engineering, mechanical
Iraq,
Joined Jul 2013
14:38 Jul-28-2017
radiation in my room

i found that the reading of pocket dosimeter increase day after another ,which i left it in my room

during 65 day the reading increase from 170.4 to 180.6 milliRoentgens at a rate of 0.15692 milliRoentgens/day

during the next 80 day the reading increase from 180.6 to 200 milliRoentgens at a rate of 0.2425 milliRoentgens/day

my first question : from where this radiation coming ?? note that there is no source of radiation near or far from the room

my second question : dose that rate of radiation is dangerous ?? what is the normal value in milliRoentgens/day

i hope to get an answer from an expert in radiation .. i am waiting.. i am very worried about that

Andrey
Andrey
19:57 Jul-28-2017
Re: radiation in my room
In Reply to ahmed at 14:38 Jul-28-2017 (Opening).

The worldwide average natural dose to humans is about 2.4 millisievert per year, which means 240 milliRoentgens per year or 0.65 a day, so you're fine with that dose, don't worry about that if there is no radiation source near your room. Refer to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Background_radiation.

Hamid Reza
Canada, Joined Oct 2016, 68

Hamid Reza

Canada,
Joined Oct 2016
22:00 Jul-28-2017
In Reply to Andrey at 19:57 Jul-28-2017 .

zoom image

Background Radiation

Dear Ahmed,

For your case, since you have mentioned that you leave your pocket dosimeter in the *room*, the most likely source of background radiations are:

1. Air, because of Radon. There are home Radon tests and also methods to eliminate it such as "Active Soil Depressurisation".

2. Building materials such as brick, natural stones, granite, concrete, soil, etc...

3. Any organic material contains radioactive potassium & carbon. A very good example of this is Banana (cited most often), but add Avocado and Potato to the list (almost twice more than Banana). See this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana_equivalent_dose

4. Some places, cities, etc have higher than normal background radiation... for instance Ramsar, a city in Iran has 10 to 80 times more background radiation comparing to the average:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11769138
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramsar,_Mazandaran#Radioactivity

Sincerely,
Hamid Reza

Oleg
Engineering,
Developer of diagnostic equipment, Russia, Joined Feb 2017, 2

Oleg

Engineering,
Developer of diagnostic equipment,
Russia,
Joined Feb 2017
14:39 Aug-02-2017
In Reply to ahmed at 14:38 Jul-28-2017 (Opening).

Good day. 0.24 milliR / day - it's a little. I guess now is the summer, and solar radiation slightly increased.

Usually from 0.14 to 0.56 - varies from radon, cosmic and solar radiation, radiation from the earth's core.
If you reading is below 0.600 /day, don't worry. If you constantly radiation more > 0.72 milliR/day. or > 0.06/hour, or one-time readings on the screen > 0.08-0,10 (in minute) - it is necessary to find out the reasons. Sometimes it is enough to dust removal, improving ventilation from radon. If your dosimeter is equipped with a sound indicator of excess radiation (more that 0.06/minute usually) - enable this feature.

Product Spotlight

NDT Master Lecturer

In the program both university professors and practitioners will give lectures, which guarantees the
oretical depth and practical inside. Academic Director: Prof. Dr. Christian Boller
The following lecturers are not complete: Prof. Tadeusz Stepinski, Prof. Wieslaw Staszewski, Prof. Frank Walther, Prof. Giovanni Bruno, Prof. Gerd Dobmann, Prof. Philippe Guy
>

Teletest Focus+

Teletest Focus+ electronics have superior capabilities than rivals on the market. Beyond the usual
test features, Focus+ has 24 transmit channels and 24 receive channels, with an additional on-board switching capabilities. The instrument's frequency range is 10–300 kHz.
>

UCI Hardness Tester NOVOTEST T-U2

UCI hardness tester NOVOTEST T-U2 is is used for non-destructive hardness testing of: metals and
alloys by scales of hardness: Rockwell (HRC), Brinell (HB), Vickers (HV); non-ferrous metals, alloys of iron etc., and using five additional scales for calibration; with tensile strength (Rm) scale determines the tensile strength of carbon steel pearlitic products by automatic recalculation from Brinell (HB) hardness scale.
>

MIZ®-21C: Truly Affordable Eddy Current Handheld with Surface Array Capability

Introducing MIZ-21C, the first truly affordable handheld eddy current instrument with surface array
capabilities. MIZ-21C can deliver fast, accurate inspections in demanding NDT applications including aerospace, oil and gas, manufacturing, and power generation. The surface array solution can reduce inspection time by up to 95% compared to traditional handheld pencil probes. The ergonomic design, long battery life, and intuitive touchscreen mean you can inspect more areas faster than ever without fatigue.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window