where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Pietro Cono
Italy, Joined Aug 2017, 2

Pietro Cono

Italy,
Joined Aug 2017
12:06 Aug-28-2017
ASTM E2375 - Notch Size for Angular Beam Reference Reflectors

Good morning everyone

I have a question regarding ASTM E2375, in particular for what is stated in Fig. 4 (Rectangular Notch for Angular Beam Reference Reflectors).

This figure is a table where are indicated the dimensions of the different notches corresponding to the different UT Classes (AAA, AA, A, B and C).

My doubt is about the difference between the depth of Class AA and Class A notches:
Class AA = 0.005 in. [0.13 mm]
Class A = 0.100 in. [2.54 mm]

The difference is too high!
I think that it's a typing error and the correct value for Class A should be 0.010 In. [0.254 mm]. Am I right?

This Standard has been reapproved in 2013 but this issue, that was present from 2008, was not corrected.

Thank you very mutch for any answer.
Pietro

Diego
Consultant,
Freelance, Spain, Joined May 2013, 197

Diego

Consultant,
Freelance,
Spain,
Joined May 2013
21:31 Aug-28-2017
Re: ASTM E2375 - Notch Size for Angular Beam Reference Reflectors
In Reply to Pietro Cono at 12:06 Aug-28-2017 (Opening).

Pietro.
In my opinion, there is no misprint in the Fig. 4. What is indicated in the fig is correct , And this is the same as what was shown in the editions of 2004 and 2008.
Regards.

Pietro Cono
Italy, Joined Aug 2017, 2

Pietro Cono

Italy,
Joined Aug 2017
17:29 Aug-29-2017
Re: ASTM E2375 - Notch Size for Angular Beam Reference Reflectors
In Reply to Diego at 21:31 Aug-28-2017 .

zoom image

The thing that make me doubt regarding the values stated in the standard is that the difference between Class AA and Class A is very high only for the notches for SOLID BARS.

The same step is a lot smaller for what concern Flat Bottom Hole and Notches on Tubes.
For example, if you calculate the ratio between the AREA of the artificial defects you find:

- FBH -----> (A)/(AA) = 2.8
- TUBES --> (A)/(AA) = 4
- BARS----> (A)/(AA) = 40

Why there's so much difference?

Regards
Pietro

Product Spotlight

OmniScan™ X3 flaw detector

The OmniScan X3 flaw detector is a complete phased array toolbox. Powerful tools, like total focus
ing method (TFM) images and advanced visualization capabilities, enable you to complete your inspection with greater confidence.
>

ISAFE3 Intrinsically Safe Sensor System

ISAFE3 intrinsically safe sensor system of Vallen Systeme is especially targeted at the petrochemica
l - as well as oil and gas transportation industry. The sensor system is designed for permanent monitoring or periodic inspection tasks. Sensors are available for different AE-frequency ranges optimized for corrosion and fatigue crack detection and other applications. The ISAFE 3 sensor system consists of an AE-sensor (model ISAS3) certified according to ATEX/IEC for installation in zone 0, gas group IIC, IP68, 20 to +60 °C, and a signal isolator (model SISO3) certified for installation in zone 2. An ISAS3 sensor can be mounted in atmosphere or submerged, e.g. in water or crude oil. It is supported by mounting tools for temporary (magnets) or permanent (welded) installation. ISAFE3 supports automatic sensor coupling test and can be used with any AE signal processor supporting 28V supply at 90 mA peak, e.g. Vallen Systeme ASIP-2/A.
>

PAUT Probes

Typical Phased Array probes have frequencies between 1MHz and 20MHz and the number of wafers is 10
to 128. M2 Electronics offers customers conventionally ultrasound probes and the ability to provide high-precision Phased Array Ultrasound Probes of up to 256 wafers. We can also customize the probe for our customers to meet the specific application requirements of the user.
>

Echomac® PA Bar Tester

The Echomac® PA BT provides 100% inspection of round bars for core and surface defects, at speeds u
p to 2 m/sec, depending on the specific application. The unit allows producers to handle a much larger range of diameters in one installation, and is available in 3 models to test 10 – 75mm diameter (small model); 20 – 130mm (medium model) or 50 – 254mm (large model) bars.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window