where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Mario Talarico
NDT Inspector,
Italy, Joined May 2010, 423

Mario Talarico

NDT Inspector,
Italy,
Joined May 2010
12:23 Mar-29-2018
ISO 17640 and ISO 11666: thickness definition.

In paragraph 3 of En-Iso 17640 Thickness (t) is defined "thickness of parent material (thinnest part)": first definition of "t". Elsewhere in En-Iso 17640, in table A1-A7, thickness (t) appears mostly as beveled part: second representation of "t".

Considering that En-Iso 1166 recalls in its references the En-Iso 17640 and the thickness (t) terminology is reproposed without further specifications, which of the two previous definitions must be applied in the acceptability criteria indicated in En-Iso 11666?

Greetings
Mario

Laurent
Consultant,
France, Joined Mar 2016, 16

Laurent

Consultant,
France,
Joined Mar 2016
11:00 Mar-30-2018
Re: ISO 17640 and ISO 11666: thickness definition.
In Reply to Mario Talarico at 12:23 Mar-29-2018 (Opening).

Hi Mario
I understand by considering t for the thinnest part in ISO 11666, you would be in the most restrictive case for acceptance criteria.
BR

Mario Talarico
NDT Inspector,

Mario Talarico

NDT Inspector,
Italy,
Joined May 2010
01:59 Mar-31-2018
In Reply to Laurent at 11:00 Mar-30-2018 .

Of course Laurent, of course, as usual!
But it's not a good perspective if I look at forty nozzles set-in 5 to 8 mm thick on a 35 mm shell.
I think that the production deserves a little more consideration: to repair because it is right to repair, not because we do not know how to dance a 't' in a document that is more than thirty years old.
I really feel like a bad service .....
Greetings
Mario

Matthias
NDT Inspector, CEO
Dreifeld Materialprüftechnik, Germany, Joined Sep 2005, 101

Matthias

NDT Inspector, CEO
Dreifeld Materialprüftechnik,
Germany,
Joined Sep 2005
21:01 Apr-10-2018
In Reply to Mario Talarico at 12:23 Mar-29-2018 (Opening).

Mario, I dont see where you get two definitions from.
When you look at A1-A7 you get a clear representation of what should be used for t in the drawing.

You can always make suggestions or report mistakes to the committee, theres a link on their website to do so.

Mario Talarico
NDT Inspector,

Mario Talarico

NDT Inspector,
Italy,
Joined May 2010
21:57 Apr-11-2018
In Reply to Matthias at 21:01 Apr-10-2018 .

Matthias,
thanks for your reply. This rule is very important.
I agree with you that it is clear what should be used for 't' in figures A1-A7: it is the beveled part in non-buttweld joints ( T-Joint, nozzles or L-joint ).
The question I asked is: when using 't' in the acceptability table of ISO 11666, we mean 't' defined as 'beveled part' as indicated in the figures A1-A7 of ISO 17640 or 't' defined, as 'thinnest part' as indicated in par. 3 of ISO 17640?
Also in par. 1 'Scope' of ISO 17640, where the applicability of the standard for 'thickness greater than or equal to 8 mm' is defined, applies to the same question: we mean thickness as 't' indicated in fig. A1-A7 (as it would seem, considering that all the thicknesses of the tables related to the figures a1-a7 start from 8 mm) or is the definition of 't' as 'thinnest part' valid?
I hope I was clear.
Greetings
Mario

Matthias
NDT Inspector, CEO
Dreifeld Materialprüftechnik, Germany, Joined Sep 2005, 101

Matthias

NDT Inspector, CEO
Dreifeld Materialprüftechnik,
Germany,
Joined Sep 2005
13:12 Apr-12-2018
In Reply to Mario Talarico at 21:57 Apr-11-2018 .

Hello Mario,
I would always use the "t" which is shown in the Pictures A.1-A.7 - this is not based on a clear instruction from the standard, its just my personal opinion.

If you are not sure, I would always opt for the thinner thickness.
If I read your case correctly this would mean a difference of DKSR 0,5 mm (testing level 2).

Product Spotlight

EKOSCAN Phased Array

In order to always fit your needs, EKOSCAN can manufacture any type of UT transducer, either convent
ional or Phased Array. As an ISO 9001: 2015 certified company, EKOSCAN is extremely careful as far a material selection and manufacturing processes are concerned. Our probes guarantee our customers the benefits of latest innovations regarding piezo-composite, backing, impedance adaptation layer, etc. Specific probes for hostile environment: high temperature, high pressure, corrosive environment,etc. Specific probes designed to fit your specific application: optimization of every parameter to guarantee you the best detection.
>

High-end Ultrasonic Flaw Detector with 32:128PR PAUT and 2-ch TOFD: SyncScan 2

SIUI’s newly launched SyncScan 2, is a high-end ultrasonic flaw detector with 32:128PR PAUT and
2-ch TOFD, which can maximize your efficiency for PA and TOFD. ● Support PA/TOFD/UT ● 32-ch PA is more suitable for inspection on extra-thick wall and high-attenuation material. ● 32-ch PA and 2-ch TOFD work simultaneously. ● Support PR mode for corrosion inspection.
>

NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe

DOPPLER NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe, more stable, new tyre makes lesser acoustic attenuation
, much lighter makes easier to handle, more slim size, magnetic and mechanical encoder optional etc...more
>

Ultrasonic Testing Immersion Tanks with Unmatched Scanning Features

TecScan’s non-destructive testing Ultrasonic Immersion Tanks & scanners are designed for high pe
rformance and demanding NDT testing applications. Our Scan3D™ line of High Precision Immersion Tanks are specifically designed for automated ultrasonic testing of complex composites parts used in aerospace and industrial applications.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window