where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Achmad Arifudin H
Engineering,
PT. GMF Aeroasia Tbk., Indonesia, Joined Nov 2017, 5

Achmad Arifudin H

Engineering,
PT. GMF Aeroasia Tbk.,
Indonesia,
Joined Nov 2017
02:11 Jun-25-2018
UT Reference Block for Nickel based and Cobalt Based

Good Morning guys

Im get the problem for wall thickness with ultrasonic method. The part is nickel and cobalt based (nimonic c263 and hasteloy x). This is new case in my company. This job is urgently. Then im already have reference block in SS and aluminum.

So any sugesstions approach method for measure nickel and cobalt based wall thickness with SS and aluminum reference block or any other method ??

If any reference or standard please tell me. :D

Thank you guys. I hope i get answer from this forum :D

Regards.
Achmad Arifudin H

P V SASTRY
R & D, NDT tecniques metallurgy
TAKEN VRS FROM THE POSITION OF SR. DEPUTY GENERAL MANAGER BHEL CORPORATE R&D, India, Joined Jan 2003, 195

P V SASTRY

TAKEN VRS FROM THE POSITION OF SR. DEPUTY GENERAL MANAGER BHEL CORPORATE R&D,
India,
Joined Jan 2003
14:20 Jun-25-2018
Re: UT Reference Block for Nickel based and Cobalt Based
In Reply to Achmad Arifudin H at 02:11 Jun-25-2018 (Opening).

Dear Sir,

The velocity of the Nimonic alloys varies with the composition and heat treatment. So they cannot be equated to SS. The velocity of SA 316 ss comes close to one of the high nickel alloys. But this is taking a high risk as heat treatment is a definite factor that influences the Ultrasonic velocity .

Under the circumstances the best thing that can be done is to look for two parallel surfaces on the component and physically measure the thickness. ( You may use various types of calipers in case you do not find the parallel surfaces readily). Then measure the thickness Ultrasonically and adjust the velocity till it is equal to the physically measured value.

Verify your results on another parallel surface.

Hope you find such useful surface/s.

Best wishes,

P V SASTRY

Achmad Arifudin H
Engineering,
PT. GMF Aeroasia Tbk., Indonesia, Joined Nov 2017, 5

Achmad Arifudin H

Engineering,
PT. GMF Aeroasia Tbk.,
Indonesia,
Joined Nov 2017
02:16 Jun-26-2018
In Reply to P V SASTRY at 14:20 Jun-25-2018 .

Thank you so much for your information sir Sastry.

I will consider this method, thank you

but, how if i used hasteloy x plate with thickness 5mm as the reference block for the part.

whether this can represented to get velocity for correct measurement ??

Thank you.
Regards

Achmad Arifudin H

P V SASTRY
TAKEN VRS FROM THE POSITION OF SR. DEPUTY GENERAL MANAGER BHEL CORPORATE R&D, India, Joined Jan 2003, 195

P V SASTRY

TAKEN VRS FROM THE POSITION OF SR. DEPUTY GENERAL MANAGER BHEL CORPORATE R&D,
India,
Joined Jan 2003
19:06 Jun-28-2018
In Reply to Achmad Arifudin H at 02:16 Jun-26-2018 .

Sorry for the belated response.

The Hastelloy X has Chromium, Molybdenum,iron as major alloying elements where as Nimonic C263 has Chromium, Molybdenum, and Cobalt as major alloying elements.

As I mentioned previously the Ultrasonic velocities differ widely based on composition and heat treatment as well as the degree of working ( cast or wrought (how much wrought)).

From the literature I see that the UT velocity of Hastelloy is 5791 meters/second.

It depends on what degree of accuracy you are looking in the thickness measurements of your components.

If you are looking for high accuracy then you have to use the block with same composition and heat treatment etc. Or the Parallel surfaces in the same component with measurable thickness.

Best wishes

P V SASTRY

If you are looking for

Product Spotlight

Varex Imaging Large Field of View (FOV) Digital Detector Arrays (DDAs)

A larger FOV DDA can reduce the space and volume of the X-ray inspection system on the factory floor
, enable faster scanning times, better throughput and better resolution images at a lower dose. Customers can also save time and money. With these benefits in mind, Varex Imaging has designed a family of large FOV detectors (4343HE, XRD 1611, 4343DX-I, 4343CT) for our industrial imaging customers.
>

EKOSCAN Phased Array

In order to always fit your needs, EKOSCAN can manufacture any type of UT transducer, either convent
ional or Phased Array. As an ISO 9001: 2015 certified company, EKOSCAN is extremely careful as far a material selection and manufacturing processes are concerned. Our probes guarantee our customers the benefits of latest innovations regarding piezo-composite, backing, impedance adaptation layer, etc. Specific probes for hostile environment: high temperature, high pressure, corrosive environment,etc. Specific probes designed to fit your specific application: optimization of every parameter to guarantee you the best detection.
>

NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe

DOPPLER NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe, more stable, new tyre makes lesser acoustic attenuation
, much lighter makes easier to handle, more slim size, magnetic and mechanical encoder optional etc...more
>

Conformable wedge transducer

The conformability is obtained with a flexible membrane filled with water between the transducer and
the inspected component. The coupling between the membrane and the component requires a small quantity of water or couplant. The conformable wedge combines the acoustic performance of immersion technique with good coupling and low attenuation.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window