where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Jaeseok Park
Jaeseok Park
07:36 Aug-09-2018
UT physics - SV wave

Deaer UT professionals,

1) What is the speed of SH mode surface wave, which is named as Love wave in some text?
2) Is "Love wave" simply 90 degree refracted bulk SH wave? Just like creeping wave to longitudinal wave?

Thank you

Marius S Purcell
Engineering,
Sasol (Pty) Ltd., South Africa, Joined Jul 2018, 10

Marius S Purcell

Engineering,
Sasol (Pty) Ltd.,
South Africa,
Joined Jul 2018
09:32 Aug-09-2018
Re: UT physics - SV wave
In Reply to Jaeseok Park at 07:36 Aug-09-2018 (Opening).

Greetings Jaeseok Park,

It depends on the thickness of the material and the frequency used. Now, saying that: Shear Horizontal has different components to it which is Phase or Group velocities. You normally have SH0, SH1 etc. which describes these phases. It depends which band you want to focus on. Matlab will generally modulate this in a better perspective. Look at dispersion curves.

If I can refer you to literature, read Ultrasonic Guided Waves in Solid Media by
Joseph L. Rose. It is too technical at some stage but you will get the basics down in the first tow chapters. Remember this book is written based on Matlab modulations which will in all likely hood not hold any relevance to certain aspects of our question hear.

Hope this helps.

Rolf Diederichs
Director,
NDT.net, Germany, Joined Nov 1998, 608

Rolf Diederichs

Director,
NDT.net,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
09:52 Aug-09-2018

In our Open Access Database you can find 25 articles from Joseph L. Rose https://www.ndt.net/search/docs.php3?AuthorID=2995

Amog 28 articles from Peter Cawley you can find also a lot about guided waves:
https://www.ndt.net/search/docs.php3?AuthorID=544
Here one video of a presentation:
https://www.ndt.net/search/docs.php3?id=12499&content=1

By database search - guided waves - and restrict to keywords and sort by relevance you find 405 articles:
https://www.ndt.net/search/docs.php3?SearchDocs=guided+waves&restrict=keywords&searchmode=AND&OrderBy=relevance

Good luck!

Rolf

Jaeseok Park
R & D,
DOOSAN, South Korea, Joined Jun 2009, 10

Jaeseok Park

R & D,
DOOSAN,
South Korea,
Joined Jun 2009
15:07 Aug-09-2018

Thank you gentlmen,
Yes, its true that speed of guided wave is decribed by despersion curves;
However I need to clarify my question. Sorry for confusion.

It is known that there are several types of "surface wave"; Rayleigh, leaky Rayleig, Stonely (or Scholte), Love, and Sezawa. The characteristics of Rayleigh wave is well known and decribed in text book very well. My question is about properties of SH move surface wave, so called Love wave.

(1) Propergation speed; same with bulk SH wave or not.
(2) Particle motion; elliptical or sinusolidal.
(3) Enegy concentration near surface, in other words does it progagate long?

Thank you.

Ed Ginzel
R & D, -
Materials Research Institute, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 1268

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
15:37 Aug-09-2018
In Reply to Jaeseok Park at 15:07 Aug-09-2018 .

Jaeseok, there seems to be very little information on Love waves in our ultrasonic applications. Perhaps the literature on seismic studies is more appropriate. There is a Wikipedia article on Love waves at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_wave
In that article it states; "Love waves travel with a lower velocity than P- or S- waves, but faster than Rayleigh waves. These waves are observed only when there is a low velocity layer overlying a high velocity layer/ sub–layers."
If Rayleigh waves travel at about 90% of the shear velocity then Love waves would be slightly higher than that.

John Norman
Consultant, owner of business
NTS Ultrasonics Pty Ltd, Australia, Joined Oct 2012, 112

John Norman

Consultant, owner of business
NTS Ultrasonics Pty Ltd,
Australia,
Joined Oct 2012
02:40 Aug-10-2018
In Reply to Jaeseok Park at 15:07 Aug-09-2018 .

Hi Jaesek.

If you are up for a bit of mathematics and physics, you can find discussions on Love waves in "Ultrasonic Waves in Solid Media" by Joseph L. Rose, and also in "Wave Motion in Elastic Solids" by Karl F. Graff. The second book might be hard to find, but I think the ASNT bookstore sells the first book.

The book by Rose derives some equations for Love waves and presents some dispersion curves. However, neither book explicitly discusses particle motion.

A Love wave propagates along the interface as explained by Ed in his answer. At longer wavelengths the velocity approaches that of the half space (i.e. the lower velocity layer). The energy distribution concentrates closer to the interface.

That is about all I can get from the books. These days I don't speak "physics" as well as I used to many years ago.

John Norman

Jaeseok Park
R & D,
DOOSAN, South Korea, Joined Jun 2009, 10

Jaeseok Park

R & D,
DOOSAN,
South Korea,
Joined Jun 2009
07:47 Aug-10-2018

Thank you all your advises,
Information abvove is enough for me.

(1) The speed is somewhere between shear and Rayleigh,
(2) and it propagate long.
Particle motion is sinusoidal. I found at a seismology blog.

Thank you

Product Spotlight

Research Center IDEKO develops an ultrasonic train wheel inspection system for CAF

The Basque Research centre IK4-IDEKO has developed a state-of-the-art ultrasonic inspection system f
or the train wheel. This system secures a sound condition of train wheels and is thus a significant contribution to rail transport safety. The device was delivered to CAF recently and its use allows the manufacturer to become an approved supplier of rolling stock in Italy, as it meets the demanding homologation standards of this country. \\\\r\\\\n
>

High-end Ultrasonic Flaw Detector with 32:128PR PAUT and 2-ch TOFD: SyncScan 2

SIUI’s newly launched SyncScan 2, is a high-end ultrasonic flaw detector with 32:128PR PAUT and
2-ch TOFD, which can maximize your efficiency for PA and TOFD. ● Support PA/TOFD/UT ● 32-ch PA is more suitable for inspection on extra-thick wall and high-attenuation material. ● 32-ch PA and 2-ch TOFD work simultaneously. ● Support PR mode for corrosion inspection.
>

MUSE Mobile Ultrasonic Equipment

The MUSE, a portable ultrasonic imaging system, was developed for in-field inspections of light-weig
ht structures. The MUSE consists of a motor-driven manipulator, a water circulation system for the acoustic coupling and a portable ultrasonic flaw detector (USPC 3010). The MUSE provides images of internal defects (A-, B-,C- and D-scan).
>

NDT Master Lecturer

In the program both university professors and practitioners will give lectures, which guarantees the
oretical depth and practical inside. Academic Director: Prof. Dr. Christian Boller
The following lecturers are not complete: Prof. Tadeusz Stepinski, Prof. Wieslaw Staszewski, Prof. Frank Walther, Prof. Giovanni Bruno, Prof. Gerd Dobmann, Prof. Philippe Guy
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window