where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Steve Prince
NDT Inspector,
Bureau Veritas Asset Integrity & Reliability Services, Australia, Joined Aug 2005, 6

Steve Prince

NDT Inspector,
Bureau Veritas Asset Integrity & Reliability Services,
Australia,
Joined Aug 2005
00:40 Oct-23-2018
I.S. EN 12680-3:2011 Founding - Ultrasonic Testing - Part 3: Spheroidal Graphite Cast Iron Castings

Out of curiosity, can someone please explain the definitions of the abbreviation 'VU' used to define severity levels in Tables 1 and 3.

Table 1 defines severity levels as VU1.1, VU2.1.....VU5.1 (1 thru 5 are the severity levels. I assume that the '.1' for each severity level refers to Table 1, but Table 3 suffixes the severity levels with a '.2' (did Table 3 used to be Table 2?)

The prefix 'VU' is currently mystifying me, so I would appreciate it if someone could share their knowledge of this standard with me.

Thank you in anticipation of response,

Steve

Mario Talarico
NDT Inspector,
Italy, Joined May 2010, 423

Mario Talarico

NDT Inspector,
Italy,
Joined May 2010
23:43 Oct-23-2018
Re: I.S. EN 12680-3:2011 Founding - Ultrasonic Testing - Part 3: Spheroidal Graphite Cast Iron Castings
In Reply to Steve Prince at 00:40 Oct-23-2018 (Opening).

Steve,
I too had a jolt reading the tables! I have read that the current Tab.2 is based on Tab.1 of the old previous version, and the current Tab. 4 refers to Tab. 2 of the previous version. The current tables 1 and 3 considered are new: they are for 'small casting' and did not exist in the receding version. Maibe VU level 1to 5 .1 and VU level 1 to 5 .2 may be obscure recall to the old version, a way to tagging as new, an abbreviation as a 'Value Unit' or 'Variable Unit' column, flanked by the previous 'Unit' column. Who knows! Only someone who was inside the committee can say it.
For practical purposes I do not think it's important or could be confusing. We can limit ourselves to considering that the abbreviations of the severity level columns are only names and must be considered as such and that is enough: the important thing is that the current set of 'small casting' tables is, as it seems, consistent (Tab. 1 + Tab. 3).
Wanting to see something strange, in Tab. 2 and 4 exists both the severity level '01' and the level '1' ...! As mentioned, consider that they are just names and everything runs smoothly.
Greetings
Mario

Steve Prince
NDT Inspector,
Bureau Veritas Asset Integrity & Reliability Services, Australia, Joined Aug 2005, 6

Steve Prince

NDT Inspector,
Bureau Veritas Asset Integrity & Reliability Services,
Australia,
Joined Aug 2005
10:44 Oct-24-2018
Re: I.S. EN 12680-3:2011 Founding - Ultrasonic Testing - Part 3: Spheroidal Graphite Cast Iron Castings
In Reply to Mario Talarico at 23:43 Oct-23-2018 .

Hi Mario and thank you for taking time to respond.
I agree that this has to be a hangover from previous versions, or maybe even other parts of this code.

Like you, i realise they are just labels and not relevant to understanding the acceptance criteria, but mysteries need to be solved

langtuteng2
Armenia, Joined Nov 2014, 199

langtuteng2

Armenia,
Joined Nov 2014
10:53 Oct-24-2018
In Reply to Steve Prince at 00:40 Oct-23-2018 (Opening).

hi, table 1 and table 3 are added for small casting, and it is new and it just distinguish from the big casting which it is stipulated in EN12680-3:2003.

Product Spotlight

GUL Subsea Solutions - Screeening & Monitoring

To inspect new and existing subsea lines, you need proven technology and experience. GUL offers it's
technology to solve this challenge: GUL Subsea and gMAT Transducer Rings.
>

Ultrasonic Probe Recharacterization Service

NDT Systems offers a comprehensive Aftercare and Recharacterization Service for all our ultrasonic
probes. The Recharacterization Service is fully compliant with International ASTM E1065 Standard Guide (and other applicable standards) and offers complete documentation, traceable to the ASTM E1065 Standard. For more details or to schedule Recharacterization Services contact ndtsales@ndtsystems.com
>

Research and Application Development For NDT

Acuren’s Research and Application Development specializes in the development of advanced ultraso
nic inspection techniques and systems for challenging inspection applications, with an emphasis on practical solutions which are field deployable. Services include manual and automated ultrasonic inspection system development, inspection technique optimization using laboratory scale studies and ultrasonic modeling (CIVA, BeamTool), preparing technical justification for technique evaluation and qualification (Probability of Detection and sizing accuracy studies), inspection/calibration/analysis procedure preparation to support field deployment of custom techniques, and development of custom imaging algorithms to support challenging inspection applications.
>

NDT Master Lecturer

In the program both university professors and practitioners will give lectures, which guarantees the
oretical depth and practical inside. Academic Director: Prof. Dr. Christian Boller
The following lecturers are not complete: Prof. Tadeusz Stepinski, Prof. Wieslaw Staszewski, Prof. Frank Walther, Prof. Giovanni Bruno, Prof. Gerd Dobmann, Prof. Philippe Guy
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window