where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

GE Inspection Technologies
Inspection Technologies, a business of the Baker Hughes, a GE company (BHGE IT), is one of the world's leading suppliers of nondestructive testin ...
Technical Discussions
Shahid Bangash
Engineering,
Saudi Arabia, Joined Feb 2009, 134

Shahid Bangash

Engineering,
Saudi Arabia,
Joined Feb 2009
15:07 Apr-17-2013
Equipment Calibration

Basically there are two types of equipment evaluation i-e.electronic instrument characteristics evaluation detailed in E 1065 or E 1324 for UT and performance chracteristics based equipment evaluation detailed in E 2491 for Phased Array and ASME Sec V, Art IV Mandatory App I and II for UT Techniques. The later can be performed by the user and if equipment is qualified then this is a reflection of equipment being electronically sound.
A calibration certificate valid for one year is provided initially with new equipments and then renewed annually ,carried out by equipment manufacturer. Regarding this some querries
1. Is this annual calibration by Equipment's manufacturer mandatory in accordance to some code/standard ?
2. Can a qualified equipment user carry out such calibration and label calibration detail on equipment ?

Sudheer Jai Krishnan
Sudheer Jai Krishnan
22:00 Apr-17-2013
Re: Equipment Calibration
In Reply to Shahid Bangash at 15:07 Apr-17-2013 (Opening).

Hello Shahid

It is of course a good topic started by you and many people arent aware of the calibration process. The equipments can be calibrated as per ASTM-E-317-06a or as per EN12668. The search units can be calibrated as per ASTM-E-1065 (most of them wont do except the aviation industries)

I have seen some laboratories which doesnt even know the full form of NDT and they provide a calibration certificate of one page mentioning that the equipment meets the manufacturers calibration standard.

We do the calibration as per EN12668 and we make sure that everything is in accordance to the specification. The calibration covers many things and the complete report will be of 30 to 40 pages which mentions each and every requirement of the flaw detector

So i would recommend sending a UFD to the manufacturer where i get high quality service so that i don't need to worry about.

And the answer for your second question, how will you come to know whether there is any problem with your electronics? Checking for horizontal & vertical linearity alone doesn't fulfill the requirement of a calibration. There are many other steps which needs to be documented in the calibration report

Regards

Sudheer Jai Krishnan

Shahid Bangash
Engineering,
Saudi Arabia, Joined Feb 2009, 134

Shahid Bangash

Engineering,
Saudi Arabia,
Joined Feb 2009
07:55 Apr-18-2013
In Reply to Sudheer Jai Krishnan at 22:00 Apr-17-2013 .

Sudheer
As per your concept then i think that even ASME committee are unaware of calibration requirements thats why they didn't elaborate/recommend to perform calibration by manufacturer and only refers to App 1 & 2 of ASME Sec V, Art IV etc. to be fullfilled.
Your statement " i would recommend sending a UFD to the manufacturer" but if i recommend to perform it by a qualified personnel of the owner then who will decide.
Ultimately the referencing or examination code.
I am not aware of E 12668 but netither E-317(Standard Practice for Evaluating Performance Characteristics of Ultrasonic Pulse- Echo Examination Instruments and Systems without the Use of Electronic Measurement Instruments) nor E-2491 (Standard Practice for Evaluating Performance Characteristics of Phased ArrayExamination Instruments and Systems ) imposes restriction to perform equipment calibration by manufacturer.
My question is that
Is equipment calibration in conformance to examination/referencing code by the user is in compliance to these standards/codes (although might not be in conformance to manufacturers standards/ procedure for equipment calibration

amir sajjad
NDT Inspector, Saudi Specialized Laboratories Co. (NDTEL) Motabaqah
Saudi Specialized Laboratories Co. MOTABAQAH, Saudi Arabia, Joined Mar 2011, 21

amir sajjad

Saudi Specialized Laboratories Co. MOTABAQAH,
Saudi Arabia,
Joined Mar 2011
12:48 Apr-22-2013

1. Is this annual calibration by Equipment's manufacturer mandatory in accordance to some code/standard ?

Not mandatory to be calibrated by manufacturer. ISO standards emphasize the calibration to be carried out by Third Party an accredited calibration lab like 17025 accretidation However it is possible to perform calibration internally with right expertise and staffing, keeping in view the costly standards and environment. for example in UT/PA the reference standard calibration blocks need to be calibrated by an accredited calibration laboratory or ‘National Metrology Institute (NMI) depending upon the situations where the calibration traceability is required or Measurement Uncertainity need to be determined.and for electronic characterisitics a lab setup is required with valid calibration of standard test instruments.

2. Can a qualified equipment user carry out such calibration and label calibration detail on equipment ?

only performance characteristics described in E-317 if he is properly trained and qualified and has the right expertise documented in a quality system and he has the certified reference material CRM.
but typically about UT, the electronic charectirsitic evaluation requires Laboratory Measurement Conditions to be met as per E1324 and this is where you will be in need of an external source.

Check this statement in E317 "This practice is not intended to be used as a substitute for calibration or standardization of an instrument or system to inspect any given material

Sudheer Jai Krishnan
Sudheer Jai Krishnan
15:40 Apr-22-2013
In Reply to amir sajjad at 12:48 Apr-22-2013 .

Hi Amir

If possible, please kindly visit our Service Engineering department which is located at UAE and i am sure that you will edit your message which you have given below.

I dont know why all people are only looking for the cost which everyone is taking as a primary thing. Only with test blocks, can anyone say or assure that a phased array equipment, or conventional flaw detector is working fine? Never!!!

Regards

Sudheer Jai Krishnan

amir sajjad
Saudi Specialized Laboratories Co. MOTABAQAH, Saudi Arabia, Joined Mar 2011, 21

amir sajjad

Saudi Specialized Laboratories Co. MOTABAQAH,
Saudi Arabia,
Joined Mar 2011
07:53 Apr-23-2013
In Reply to Sudheer Jai Krishnan at 15:40 Apr-22-2013 .

Dear Sudheer,

I really apprecciate of what you guys are doing out there and its wonderful to have these services. In my msg i was of the same opinion somehow that for electronic charectiristic evaluation, one cant do it by himself and i used the word standards and environment.

I am of the opinion that the word "Calibration" is not only judging the performance characteristics of screen height and time base.

Janer Lappay
Janer Lappay
08:58 Sep-30-2015

Good Day everyone.

I am just asking if you can refer to me a calibration laboratory here in Saudi Arabia that is capable of calibrating NDT instruments.Thank you very much.

Suryakanta Das
Saudi Arabia, Joined Nov 2017, 2

Suryakanta Das

Saudi Arabia,
Joined Nov 2017
09:39 Nov-05-2018
In Reply to Sudheer Jai Krishnan at 22:00 Apr-17-2013 .

Dear Sir,
could you kindly tell me whether any grace period allowed for calibartion if calibration is not done on time.
if yes ,is there any reference document for that.

Sudheer Jai Krishnan
Other,
Olympus, United Arab Emirates (UAE), Joined Sep 2018, 22

Sudheer Jai Krishnan

Other,
Olympus,
United Arab Emirates (UAE),
Joined Sep 2018
20:04 Nov-28-2018
In Reply to Suryakanta Das at 09:39 Nov-05-2018 .

Hi

We at Olympus recommend the instrument to be verified once in a year and even our calibration certificate recommends it.

However, your company's Quality Manual should specify the duration of the calibration validity.

Product Spotlight

Combination of Digital Image Correlation and Thermographic Measurements

The combination of measuring results from the digital image correlation (ARAMIS, DIC) and temperat
ure measuring data from infrared cameras permits the simultaneous analysis of the thermal and mechanical behavior of test specimens in the materials and components testing field.
>

Cygnus 6+ PRO Multi-Mode Ultrasonic Thickness Gauge

The Cygnus 6+ PRO thickness gauge is the most advance gauge within the Cygnus range with key featu
res including: comprehensive data logging; A-scan and B-scan display; manual gain control; Bluetooth connectivity; and much more. With its unique dual display and three measuring modes (Multiple-Echo, Echo-Echo and Single-Echo), this surface thickness gauge offers maximum versatility for inspections.
>

High-performance Linear Phased Array Probes

Available to order from stock in a range of 5MHz – 7.5MHz and from 16 to 64 elements. Designed w
ith piezo-composite elements, Phoenix phased array probes provide high-resolution imaging to maximise sensitivity; accurate ultrasonic detection and sizing of defects in welds; and effective corrosion mapping. Housed in a rugged stainless steel case for on-site industrial NDT applications.
>

HD-CR 35 NDT Computed Radiography System

Portable high-resolution CR scanner for all radiography applications - weld testing, profile images
and aerospace. No matter what type of radiographic testing you are performing, the unique TreFoc Technology of the HD-CR 35 NDT imaging plate scanner always guarantees the highest image quality.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window