where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Career Discussions
Kelly G.
Kelly G.
19:50 Nov-02-2018
New to NDT ...Student...Wondering if this field is right for me

I initially wanted to be in inspection and found online a career plan for inspection technology at the local college, but it is coupled with NDT technology as well. I know I have taken the wrong classes but am intrigued in this new line of work. I have been a caregiver, nanny, tutor, and special needs caregiver for over 30 years off and on. Due to Texas mandating vaccinations for everyone in the medical field and my age,40s, I have been instructed by my chiropractor to seek a job where intellect is a major factor rather than picking up children and transferring elderly.
I attended the ASNT Conference in Houston Texas and was informed by 15 men of different ages, races, and levels of fields/education that due to my frame, 125 pounds at 5'6", I will not be able to physically be a NDT tech. They all indicated this field requires heavy lifting. My instructor states another story and said this field is fine for me since I enjoy details, math, etc..
My husband said in his field there is a woman as a QA/QC Inspection Tech and she does not lift a thing.
Hubby says I will do just fine. I have taken personality tests and have passed each one indicating I will do just fine in this field.
Sadly I am no interested in this field. I grasp the material fine and sometimes am confused but once I learn it then I can understand it. I am able to retain info. well especially if math is involved. I can't go by my feelings because any field will be odd since care giving is all I am used to. There are all males in my class. I experience several men are sexist and quite vocal with it. I have had one man state sexual comments towards me and am trying to hold hubby off. The man in class has never touched me but I wonder if the work environment is similar to this. Again I have usually been the only employee at most of my jobs. I have worked with women and they are horrible. I thought working around men would be a treat because women are trifling, messy, drama, etc.. in a nut shell they are fickle.
I have tried to ease some of the men in the classroom by making food for them, offering sweets, etc...
Some see me as a motherly type, older woman, etc.. but there is one man that is extremely sexist, male chauvinistic, and plain rude. I ignore him as much as possible but seriously would not want to work in that environment. any advice on how to deal with him would be great. Any advice on where to begin or what field is best for a woman that can't pick up a lot of heavy weight that is in her 40s?

Thank you,

Kelly G.

Michel Couture
NDT Inspector,
consultant, Canada, Joined Sep 2006, 851

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
17:42 Nov-05-2018
Re: New to NDT ...Student...Wondering if this field is right for me
In Reply to Kelly G. at 19:50 Nov-02-2018 (Opening).

Kelly,

I read your post and I am wondering what you are asking here. It's true that some men are not open to seeing women in the trade. This may be an American thing, because in Canada although few, I have worked with many women. Just as men some are good and some no so. I'm not qualified to give a diagnotic, but the tone of your post shows signs of a person in a midlife crisis and suggest a letter to "Dear Abby" or a good chat with a health professional would be in order.

Kelly G.
Kelly G.
19:41 Nov-05-2018
In Reply to Michel Couture at 17:42 Nov-05-2018 .

Micheal Couture,

I didn't realize this forum was a professional one until I hit the enter key. Lol I tried to delete my account with no avail. Yes, a sort of midlife crisis, but with good intention. Here in Texas at least in Houston all medical staff, or people who take care of children/elderly has to be vaccinated. I do not want mercury in my bloodstream along with the other junk USA puts inside vaccines. I have decided to pursue another career field. I wanted Inspection but have taken this class that includes Inspection and NDT. I am the only woman in class and yes have experienced opposition from a few people but not all. Once I attended the ASNT conference in Houston and met men who were opposed by a woman and was wondering if this is common. In the medical field dealing with women I had to deal with racism, discrimination of age, class issues, etc but never sexism. Here I guess it is sexism and once in the field age discrimination. I was just curious if I am capable of working in this field since I can not lift 50 pounds continuously. Anyone can acquire an associate's degree in this field but if I can not lift 50 lbs. then no one will hire me if this is a major requirement. Just like in the medical field. I have the experience and degrees in this field but as long as I refuse to get vaccinated then no one will hire me. Just was looking for advice.

William A Jensen
Other,
IHI Southwest Technologies, Inc., USA, Joined May 2017, 65

William A Jensen

Other,
IHI Southwest Technologies, Inc.,
USA,
Joined May 2017
19:53 Nov-05-2018
In Reply to Kelly G. at 19:50 Nov-02-2018 (Opening).

Kelly,

I have met a number of females in the NDE/NDT industry and they do just fine. This type of work isn't necessarily as physical as some like to pretend, but you do require stamina - both mental & physical. Typical job postings do require lifting 50 lbs, as that's just a typical job posting. That doesn't mean that you're holding 50 lbs for hours, but picking things up and putting them down.

Unfortunately, you will find ignorant bigots in any field, and NDE is just one of them. And no, it's not an "American" thing - it's an ignorant human thing.

It sounds as though you jumped into taking classes without much research into the background requirements, etc. As for having people at the ASNT conference giving you negative feedback, I'm sorry to hear that. As a member of ASNT, I firmly believe that we should be promoting our industry and welcoming people who may be interested in the work to give it a try.

I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors, no matter what they are.

Kelly G.
Kelly G.
00:41 Nov-06-2018
In Reply to William A Jensen at 19:53 Nov-05-2018 .

William A. Jensen,

I was looking online for an associate's degree program for Inspection technology and stumbled upon this class. Inspection technology is coupled with NDT. Believe me I did do research before taking the classes, I spoke with an advisor and she was unsure, I spoke with my husband and at his work the QA/QC Supervisors have to have some NDT exp., and I looked online taking personality tests, looking at resumes, etc... I just did not realize in order to become a person in Inspection one had to have knowledge in NDT. I am extremely new in this field and it is overwhelming. I do not like the classes but largely because they are foreign to me. I am just going to try and consume the material and hopefully I retain the information. I did not like pharmacy technology classes and I passed with an A. I only stopped working in this field for several reasons. One was the pharmacy mandated due to Texas and I think USA new law that all medical staff had to be vaccinated. Well any who...I am in this field esp. since I am knee deep in the classes. I accepted an award for college and now there is no turning back. Hubby like you indicated there is not heavy lifting and I should do fine, just wanted someone else's opinion in case hubby was just trying to encourage me.
Thanks for the info.

Kelly

Product Spotlight

XRHRobotStar

In high volume industries like automotive the requirement for a hundred percent X-ray inspection c
reates a bottleneck in the production. The XRHRobotStar is a fully Automated Defect Recognition (ADR) capable robot-system that allows an ultra-fast in-line inspection.
>

Varex Imaging Large Field of View (FOV) Digital Detector Arrays (DDAs)

A larger FOV DDA can reduce the space and volume of the X-ray inspection system on the factory floor
, enable faster scanning times, better throughput and better resolution images at a lower dose. Customers can also save time and money. With these benefits in mind, Varex Imaging has designed a family of large FOV detectors (4343HE, XRD 1611, 4343DX-I, 4343CT) for our industrial imaging customers.
>

MIZ®-21C: Truly Affordable Eddy Current Handheld with Surface Array Capability

Introducing MIZ-21C, the first truly affordable handheld eddy current instrument with surface array
capabilities. MIZ-21C can deliver fast, accurate inspections in demanding NDT applications including aerospace, oil and gas, manufacturing, and power generation. The surface array solution can reduce inspection time by up to 95% compared to traditional handheld pencil probes. The ergonomic design, long battery life, and intuitive touchscreen mean you can inspect more areas faster than ever without fatigue.
>

GUL QSR1® Scanning

How do you measure pipe wall thickness without direct access to the area? QSR® Scanning - Guide Wav
e Quantitative Short Range Scanning.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window