where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
NDT Guy
Canada, Joined Jan 2019, 3

NDT Guy

Canada,
Joined Jan 2019
21:35 Feb-02-2019
ASME VIII DIV.2 UT ACCEPTANCE

Hi All,

I am working to ASME VIII Div.2 table 7.10 (UT in lieu of RT). I am evaluating indications and have come to a flaw aspect ration that is greater than 0.50. Since the table only goes to the 0.50 aspect ratio, how do I proceed with the evaluation?

Details:

T= 1.0"
A=0.206" (surface indication)
L=0.277"

A/L=0.74

Indication is interpreted as a LOF on the side wall.

Thank you for your input

Michel Couture
NDT Inspector,
consultant, Canada, Joined Sep 2006, 897

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
03:59 Feb-04-2019
Re: ASME VIII DIV.2 UT ACCEPTANCE
In Reply to NDT Guy at 21:35 Feb-02-2019 (Opening).

An indication such as LOF, it is never acceptable regardless of length. ASME and W59 are very clear on that no linear indication is acceptable.

Edward Ginzel
R & D, -
Materials Research Institute, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 1307

Edward Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
13:47 Feb-04-2019
In Reply to NDT Guy at 21:35 Feb-02-2019 (Opening).

At 1" thickness (25.4mm) the curves indicate that no flaw may have a height greater than 2.2mm. At 0.206 inch (5.2mm) flaw height for your surface breaking flaw, it exceeds the maximum allowed height so is allowed no length.

As for its "characterisation" as LoF, that is irrelevant when using fracture mechanics based acceptance criteria. The tables assume that the flaw is planar.

NDT Guy
Canada, Joined Jan 2019, 3

NDT Guy

Canada,
Joined Jan 2019
23:23 Feb-06-2019
In Reply to Edward Ginzel at 13:47 Feb-04-2019 .

Thanks for the replies.

I should have stated that my inquiry was not a direct accept/reject "on the job" call. I was merely practicing sizing and relating it to the acceptance criteria.

Ed,

I dont have access to the curves graph that you referenced. I tried searching it online and came up with nothing. A previous post on the forum showed a graph for the 28mm thickness range and a attached link that is invalid. Could you steer me in the direction for the curve graphs?

I guess to clarify, my question is, what happens to the formula when the a/l value is greater than 0.5?

Thanks again.

Product Spotlight

Conformable wedge transducer

The conformability is obtained with a flexible membrane filled with water between the transducer and
the inspected component. The coupling between the membrane and the component requires a small quantity of water or couplant. The conformable wedge combines the acoustic performance of immersion technique with good coupling and low attenuation.
>

Eddy Current inspection : RotoETscan Rotating Head

The rotating head RotoETscan detects the presence of longitudinal surface or sub surface defects a
t high speed. The rotating head is often installed directly on the production line. It is generally dedicated to the control of long products such as tubes, bars and wires, made of ferrous or non-ferrous material. It can also be used for inspection of small parts (billets).
>

32:128PR PAUT & 2-ch TOFD Flaw Detector: SyncScan 2

●32:128PR PAUT with optional 2-ch TOFD to maximize your efficiency ●Support PR mode for corrosi
on inspection ●Multiple solutions for welds & corrosion ●Faster scan speed (Approximately 3 meters/minute) ●Light weight: 4kg only including battery
>

GEKKO - Portable Phased Array Testing with TFM in Real-Time

The portable phased array testing system GEKKO provides 64 parallel test channels. On creating testi
ng parameters the operator is assisted by the CIVA software. Due to its modular set-up the GEKKO instrument is suitable for operators of all skill levels.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window