where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Jamie Kim
Jamie Kim
14:56 Mar-03-2019
The period of Eddy current test on Steam generator tubes for PSI

Hi Im working at NPP before commercial operation

Im doing PSI(Pre In-service Inspeciton) for Class 1 component and i want to ask about suitable period of ECT on steam generator tube for PSI

Normally we do PSI with following sequence

Steam generators
On site Hydro Test -> ECT(Eddy current test) -> HFT(hot fuctional test)

but in here someone ask me to change the sequence like this
On site Hydro Test -> HFT(hot fuctional test) -> ECT(Eddy current test)

and his opinion is that after HFT foreign materials can be easyily collected by ECT
and dont need ECT before HFT

However I dont agree with that because first. ECT is for check integrity of Tube not for check foreign materials in SG
second. ECT only can find materials which are very close to tube, almost touched

you guys have any official references to this? I'd like some advice
which is more reasonble??

Eugene LO
R & D,
Innerspec Technologies Inc, USA, Joined Jul 2018, 10

Eugene LO

R & D,
Innerspec Technologies Inc,
USA,
Joined Jul 2018
15:33 Mar-04-2019
Re: The period of Eddy current test on Steam generator tubes for PSI
In Reply to Jamie Kim at 14:56 Mar-03-2019 (Opening).

Hello Mr. Kim,
Tubing ET (whether bobbin ECT, MRPC, or ECA) can be used for foreign object detection and/or OD tube wear due to foreign objects. You are correct in saying that the object needs to be very close to the tube; basically in direct physical contact or near direct contact.

In the US, the government's regulating agency (NRC) provides very general guidelines about this specific application of tubing inspection; however, the decision to analyze data for foreign object wear indications is at the discretion of the SG owner and inspection vendor. I don't think there are any "universal" governing procedures.

In my limited experience performing PSI (and ISI), secondary, external inspection of tubing was the primary method for foreign object detection/inspection.

By the way, NRC also provides guidelines for HFT but does not mention anything about mitigating for risk of foreign object contamination or requirements for Foreign Material Exclusion (FME). In your SG quality program, why is this a concern for HFT?

In general, (and again, in my limited experience) I don't see any problem doing NDE before or after HFT, as long as your inspection requirements (and EC techniques) are well defined for each damage mechanism and/or indication type. Perhaps your ECT data could act as a screening for foreign object presence, prior to performing secondary inspection.

William A Jensen
Other,
IHI Southwest Technologies, Inc., USA, Joined May 2017, 67

William A Jensen

Other,
IHI Southwest Technologies, Inc.,
USA,
Joined May 2017
20:50 Mar-04-2019

Like Mr. Lo, I'm not aware of any guidelines or rules on performance of ECT during the pre-service activities other than doing it after the hydrostatic test.

If the plant has a robust foreign material exclusion (FME) program and performs proper inspections of the secondary side prior to releasing it for commencement of start-up activities, there shouldn't be a reason to try and use ECT as some sort of FM detection activity prior to commencing operation.

Mario Talarico
NDT Inspector,
Italy, Joined May 2010, 423

Mario Talarico

NDT Inspector,
Italy,
Joined May 2010
23:37 Mar-06-2019

Kim,
the control of the presence of external deposits at the level of the tubesheet was in my analyst ETmandate. This for the European PWR.
  The tube must be reacquired after cleaning on the secondary and the absence of the previous deposit signal must be established. Unfortunately I do not remember whether it is in service, preservice or both.
Greetings
Mario

Jamie Kim
Jamie Kim
14:50 Mar-12-2019
In Reply to Eugene LO at 15:33 Mar-04-2019 .

Thanks for your prompt reply

We worried about the possible of exsist foreign materials in secondary side which was entering when it was manufactured.

Furthermore these foreign matarial can give damage SG Tubes or structures in secondary side while plant is running for HFT over 60days with harsh condition NOP, NOT

Of course manufacturer should supply clean component under any circumstance but In my exprience, I cant say alway perfect

Also what if remain materials from factory being found after HFT?
I am sure that manufaturer will deny about this and actually we dont know as we can't be able to assume where materials come from

That's whay I concern this matter

Product Spotlight

NDTkit RT

NDTkit RT, TESTIA's Digital Radiography software The NDTkit product line software for X-ray analysi
s. NDTkit RT is a software benefiting from the Ultis kernel which is dedicated to radiographic image analysis. It offers a set of tools and filtering processes to assist RT operators in finding relevant flaws.
>

ISAFE3 Intrinsically Safe Sensor System

ISAFE3 intrinsically safe sensor system of Vallen Systeme is especially targeted at the petrochemica
l - as well as oil and gas transportation industry. The sensor system is designed for permanent monitoring or periodic inspection tasks. Sensors are available for different AE-frequency ranges optimized for corrosion and fatigue crack detection and other applications. The ISAFE 3 sensor system consists of an AE-sensor (model ISAS3) certified according to ATEX/IEC for installation in zone 0, gas group IIC, IP68, 20 to +60 °C, and a signal isolator (model SISO3) certified for installation in zone 2. An ISAS3 sensor can be mounted in atmosphere or submerged, e.g. in water or crude oil. It is supported by mounting tools for temporary (magnets) or permanent (welded) installation. ISAFE3 supports automatic sensor coupling test and can be used with any AE signal processor supporting 28V supply at 90 mA peak, e.g. Vallen Systeme ASIP-2/A.
>

Portable Ground Penetrating Radar - Proceq GP8000

The Proceq GP8000 portable ground penetrating radar instrument is the beginning of a new era in ND
T. The outstanding, patented ultra- wideband technology combined with a compact wireless probe delivers unmatched industry performance. Proceq GP8000 is the world’s first large-scale inspection solution that utilizes Augmented Reality in industrial applications.
>

Cygnus 6+ PRO Multi-Mode Ultrasonic Thickness Gauge

The Cygnus 6+ PRO thickness gauge is the most advance gauge within the Cygnus range with key featu
res including: comprehensive data logging; A-scan and B-scan display; manual gain control; Bluetooth connectivity; and much more. With its unique dual display and three measuring modes (Multiple-Echo, Echo-Echo and Single-Echo), this surface thickness gauge offers maximum versatility for inspections.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window