where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Rene
El Salvador, Joined Apr 2019, 3

Rene

El Salvador,
Joined Apr 2019
01:05 Apr-06-2019
DAC calibration using curved Block

Hi guys

I have a question

For UT shear wave weld inspection of butt weld on 2'' diameter piping, i can use basic calibration block given in ASME ,Figure T-434.3-2 for DAC curve, right? i will use the same material specification group P1.
Later, do a i need the dac offset curve al 6db and 12db for rejection criteria? or with the principal curve dac is enough?

thanks

Paul Holloway
Consultant,
Holloway NDT & Engineering Inc , Canada, Joined Apr 2010, 190

Paul Holloway

Consultant,
Holloway NDT & Engineering Inc ,
Canada,
Joined Apr 2010
22:21 Apr-06-2019
Re: DAC calibration using curved Block
In Reply to Rene at 01:05 Apr-06-2019 (Opening).

Hi Rene:

Yes, absolutely you can use the alternative block shown in Fig. T-434.3-2. You will need to generate a DAC/TCG, and then add 6dB of scanning gain as per T-471.4.1.

The rejection level (re: your 6dB or 12dB offset from reference) will depend on the code that you are inspecting to. If they are ASME B31.3 (process piping) welds, then the rejection level is actually the reference level (i.e. unless the indication breaks DAC, ignore it).

Rene
El Salvador, Joined Apr 2019, 3

Rene

El Salvador,
Joined Apr 2019
03:48 Apr-07-2019
In Reply to Paul Holloway at 22:21 Apr-06-2019 .

Thanks Paul,

I will examine a 1/4" thick overheating pipe, can i generate the DAC curve only with a 1mm side drill hole at half the thickness as reference level?

Paul Holloway
Consultant,
Holloway NDT & Engineering Inc , Canada, Joined Apr 2010, 190

Paul Holloway

Consultant,
Holloway NDT & Engineering Inc ,
Canada,
Joined Apr 2010
10:39 Apr-07-2019
In Reply to Rene at 03:48 Apr-07-2019 .

Unfortunately you won't be able to use a SDH. ASME states that the hole must be 38mm (1.5“) long and you simply won't be able to drill that on a 2" OD and 1/4" thick pipe. There's not enough material.

Product Spotlight

TESTD-PT SYSTEM

Pulse thermography is a non-contact test method that is ideal for the characterization of thin fil
ms and coatings or the detection of defects. With a remarquable short test time and a high detection sensitivity, the Telops TESTD-PT is the perfect tool for non- destructive testing. With such high frame rates, it is even possible to investigate highly conductive or diffusive materials.
>

Webinar: A better way to inspect for surface and sub-surface cracking

Zetec to host webinar November 7 on a better way to inspect for surface and sub-surface cracking. In
this webinar, we will introduce a better method that offers industry-leading portability and flexibility, while delivering exceptional flaw detection. The webinar will review and demonstrate how this solution can be applied across numerous inspection applications. Register today!
>

NOVO Armor 15 & NOVO Armor 22

The Armor Kit Contains the NOVO Armor, which provides additional mechanical protection to the NOVO 1
5WN & NOVO 22WN Detectors, the Armor Stand and a traveling soft cover. - Newest shock absorbent technology case - Water resistant design - Supports wired & wireless communication - Multiple positioning options - Tripod connection using the Built-in 1/4” threads - Simple Detector battery replacement
>

iProbe - USB Phased Array Probe

Turn your PC, Laptop or Tablet into a powerful 32:64 Phased Array system with our USB powered Phas
ed Array iProbe and inspection software package. Perform affordable weld inspection and corrosion mapping inspections with this powerful but small system. The probe has a 100V pulser, 8K PRF, dual axis encoder input and achieves outstanding signal quality.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window