where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
langtuteng2
Armenia, Joined Nov 2014, 196

langtuteng2

Armenia,
Joined Nov 2014
16:42 Jun-05-2019
strange phenomenon for TCG curve construction using SX and PA PROBE

Hi, today I construct a TCG curve for S scan, angle from 40 degree to 75 degree, angle resolution is 1 degree, and use Olympus OmniScan SX PAUT equipment, 5L64A32 probe and SA32-N55S wedge, and the reflectors are side drilled holes whose depth are 10mm, 20mm, 30mm and 40mm, the material of block is mild steel. After I set the essential parameters and calibrate velocity, delay and sensitivity, I found the echo comes from 20mm depth SDH was much lower than 10mm SDH. also, the echo comes from 20mm depth SDH was much lower than 30mm SDH. it is so strange.
could anyone know the reason. thanks in advance

Ali
NDT Inspector,
Iran, Joined Mar 2013, 109

Ali

NDT Inspector,
Iran,
Joined Mar 2013
20:21 Jun-05-2019
Re: strange phenomenon for TCG curve construction using SX and PA PROBE
In Reply to langtuteng2 at 16:42 Jun-05-2019 (Opening).

What was the focal depth? Which reflectors you have selected for sensitivity calibration? Can you upload some photos of S-Scan before and after calibrations?

rarseneau
rarseneau
21:02 Jun-05-2019

It likely has to do with your focal depth as Ali stated. You are going to get your best response where you are focusing.

R
Inspections X-ray And testing, Australia, Joined Mar 2019, 2

R

Inspections X-ray And testing,
Australia,
Joined Mar 2019
00:34 Jun-06-2019

I would have left the focal depth at the default 50 mm. Have you verified your velocity is somewhere around 3200M/S. Langtuteng did you have trouble calibrating the initial velocity?
The 100 and 200 reflectors should have been near perfect when setting the velocity, your calibration error can be caused by selecting depth rather than radius in the Velocity cal step of the wizard.

langtuteng2

langtuteng2

Armenia,
Joined Nov 2014
01:51 Jun-06-2019
In Reply to R at 00:34 Jun-06-2019 .

thanks Ali, i used the IIW block to calibrate the velocity, and the velocity is 3226m/s. I think velocity, delay, and sensitivity calibration in wizard are all right. So I don't know why the echo envelope height comes from SDH in depth of 20mm is much lower than SDH in depth of 10mm and 30mm.

Ali
NDT Inspector,

Ali

NDT Inspector,
Iran,
Joined Mar 2013
04:38 Jun-06-2019
In Reply to langtuteng2 at 01:51 Jun-06-2019 .

Did you adjust dB during TCG calibration for each reflectors? Do you have same problem for other setups?

langtuteng2

langtuteng2

Armenia,
Joined Nov 2014
10:43 Jun-06-2019
In Reply to Ali at 04:38 Jun-06-2019 .

I carried out the following steps:
1.adjust the gain, move the probe back and forth smoothly across the SDH whose depth is 10mm, and the highest point on echo envelop is almost 80%FSH, then I chose 'add'. then I move the probe back and forth smoothly across the SDH whose depth is 10mm, the echo envelop was almost 80%FSH;
2. then I chose the 'next point' and 'next' until I move the probe back and forth smoothly across the SDH whose depth is 20mm, and the highest point on echo envelop is almost 15%FSH. (I think this is abnormal. ) then I chose 'add'. then I move the probe back and forth smoothly across the SDH whose depth is 20mm, the echo envelop was almost 80%FSH;
3. then I chose the 'next point' and 'next' until I move the probe back and forth smoothly across the SDH whose depth is 30mm, and the highest point on echo envelop is almost 70%FSH. then I chose 'add'. then I move the probe back and forth smoothly across the SDH whose depth is 30mm, the echo envelop was almost 80%FSH;
So, I think for the depth 20mm, there is some abnormal during constructing TCG

Andrej
ApplusRtd, Lithuania, Joined May 2019, 9

Andrej

ApplusRtd,
Lithuania,
Joined May 2019
12:20 Jun-06-2019
In Reply to langtuteng2 at 10:43 Jun-06-2019 .

Did you check dead elements and be sure the paste is good enough.

Ali
NDT Inspector,

Ali

NDT Inspector,
Iran,
Joined Mar 2013
14:27 Jun-06-2019
In Reply to langtuteng2 at 10:43 Jun-06-2019 .

Maybe there is some wrong with reflector that located on 20mm depth.Try with another TCG block.

langtuteng

langtuteng

Armenia,
Joined Nov 2014
15:41 Jun-06-2019
In Reply to Andrej at 12:20 Jun-06-2019 .

thanks.before TCG construction, I have checked the dead element and all elements are working. paste is also good enough.

langtuteng

langtuteng

Armenia,
Joined Nov 2014
15:43 Jun-06-2019
In Reply to Ali at 14:27 Jun-06-2019 .

thanks, I will try again with other block

Andrej
ApplusRtd, Lithuania, Joined May 2019, 9

Andrej

ApplusRtd,
Lithuania,
Joined May 2019
15:53 Jun-06-2019
In Reply to langtuteng at 15:43 Jun-06-2019 .

If you tried to change from skew90 to skew270, checked the probe and wedge, then probably TCG block is the reason.

Wellsy
Inspections X-ray And testing, Australia, Joined Mar 2019, 2

Wellsy

Inspections X-ray And testing,
Australia,
Joined Mar 2019
22:39 Jun-06-2019
In Reply to langtuteng at 15:43 Jun-06-2019 .

You've answered your own question. When creating a TCG your aiming to get the amplitude to 80% for each SDH, this requires adding a little gain at each point until the reflector is at 80% screen height.

Product Spotlight

AIS229 - Multipurpose Real Time System

Latest standard & automatic real time system developed by Balteau. The AIS229 has been designed to
do series inspection in a wide variety of industry. Composed of a shielded cabinet, 5 axis manipulator, x-ray generator and tubehead from 160kV to 225kV, a fl at panel & much more, the AIS229 is most certainly one of the most multipurpose RTR system available on the market.
>

SITEX CPSERIES

Teledyne ICM’s CPSERIES has been designed with a view to revolutionizing the handling and perfor
mances of portable X-Ray sets. Despite having managed to halve the weight of similar portable X-Ray generators available on the market (while continuing to provide the same power output), the SITEX CPSERIES generators feature a shutter, a laser pointer, a beryllium window, an aluminum filter and two integrated diaphragms (customized sizes are available upon request). Without compromising the robustness and reliability for which ICM products are renowned, the small size and light weight of the SITEX CPSERIES will radically change the way that you perform your RT inspections. And you will see a positive impact in terms of both quality and return on investment (ROI).
>

Research and Applications Development For NDT

The Research and Applications Development (RAD) group is a newly formed team within Acuren dedicat
ed to tackling challenging inspection problems. Our focus is the development of novel, field deployable, advanced inspection techniques for use in cases where standard NDT methods are ineffective. We don't wait for new innovations, we engineer them. From concept to commissioning.
>

FMC/TFM

Next generation for Phased Array UT is here now with FMC/TFM! Have higher resolution imaging, impr
oved signal to noise ratio, characterize, size and analyze defects better with access to several wave mode views and save raw FMC data for higher quality analysis.  Some of the benefits are:
  • Beautiful Image! Easier to understand what you're looking at
  • Completely focused in entire image or volume
  • Much easier to define setups before inspection
  • Easier to decipher geometry echoes from real defects
  • Oriented defects (e.g. cracks) are imaged better
  • See image from different wave modes from one FMC inspection
  • FMC data can be reprocessed/analyzed without going back to the field
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window