where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
engo
engo
16:57 Jun-10-2019
Guided Wave Ultrasonic Testing (GWUT) Thickness range

Hi all;

I need some help regarding the use of the Guided Wave Ultrasonic Testing (GWUT).

We are in the design phase of a pipeline system that include a guard pipe containing 4 process pipes (all pipes made of SS 316L) .

Some of the process pipes have very low thickness range (please see attached table)

Function Outside diameter (mm)/ Thickness (mm)
Guard pipe 114 3,6
Process pipe 1 21,3 2,9
Process pipe 2 12 1,5

According to this thickness and diameters range and pipe disposition, my question is;

- Is the Guided Wave Ultrasonic Testing (GWUT) feasible for the Process pipes and Guard
Pipes?

- If GWUT can´t be used, does anybody know any other NDT useful for detecting
corrosion and metal loss in this pipe system?

Many thanks

Keith Thornicroft
Engineering,
Eddyfi Technologies, Canada, Joined Jan 2018, 2

Keith Thornicroft

Engineering,
Eddyfi Technologies,
Canada,
Joined Jan 2018
19:38 Jun-10-2019
Re: Guided Wave Ultrasonic Testing (GWUT) Thickness range
In Reply to engo at 16:57 Jun-10-2019 (Opening).

Hi Engo,

Yes, GWT can definitely be applied here.

Thickness does alter the cut-off frequencies of the flexural wave modes associated with your test, but if you operate above approximately 35kHz for the first two cases and roughly 25kHz for the third you should be able to receive good data (assuming the pipe condition generally is satisfactory).

The geometry of your array; ring spacing and transducer orientation will dictate your test schedule though. Your chosen acquisition software should be able to point the user to a recommended list of test frequencies to use.

Let me know how you get on.

Best of luck!

Keith

engo
engo
11:21 Jun-11-2019
In Reply to Keith Thornicroft at 19:38 Jun-10-2019 .

Many thanks for your reply Keith;

I have just seen my post, and pipe´s dimensions are not clear, just for clarification find below dimensions again.

Diameter / Thickness

Guard pipe 114 mm / 3,6 mm
Process pipe 1 21,3 mm / 2,9 mm
Process pipe 2 12 mm / 1,5 mm

Thanks in advanced

Keith Thornicroft
Engineering,
Eddyfi Technologies, Canada, Joined Jan 2018, 2

Keith Thornicroft

Engineering,
Eddyfi Technologies,
Canada,
Joined Jan 2018
18:00 Jun-17-2019
In Reply to engo at 11:21 Jun-11-2019 .

Hi Engo,

Sorry for the delayed reply.

I see now, the geometry for guard pipe is still OK for a standard guided wave test as long as the test frequency is above 35 kHz.

The smaller diameter process pipes would be possible with a bespoke tool and special procedures. If you would like to explore a potential solution, feel free to DM me your details and I can get you in touch with someone this end.

Keith

Chris
Consultant,
United Kingdom, Joined Dec 2012, 43

Chris

Consultant,
United Kingdom,
Joined Dec 2012
09:40 Jun-24-2019
In Reply to engo at 16:57 Jun-10-2019 (Opening).

You need to be able to place the guided wave collar on each individual pipe - probably access from outside your guard pipe. If pipes are held tightly by any baffles or flanges they would act a very large reflectors and prevent the technigue from working.

Product Spotlight

Silverwing RMS PA - Phased-array corrosion mapping

Eddyfi Technologies integrated two market leading solutions, Silverwing’s RMS and M2M’s instru
ments to provide a high-speed, remote access ultrasonic phased-array inspection system with live total focusing method (TFM).
>

Ultrasonic Squirter/Gantry System

TecScan’s NDT Ultrasonic Gantry Systems are industrial Squirter scanners designed for non-destru
ctive quality testing and raster scanning of large structures and parts. The Gantry Systems are usually composed of an Industrial Mechanical Scanner and a Control Room with System Workstation.
>

Teletest Focus+

Teletest Focus+ electronics have superior capabilities than rivals on the market. Beyond the usual
test features, Focus+ has 24 transmit channels and 24 receive channels, with an additional on-board switching capabilities. The instrument's frequency range is 10–300 kHz.
>

Echomac® Small

Available with up to eight channels of electronics to detect and evaluate thickness, flaws and eccen
tricity, this UT tester is housed in a convenient, smaller cabinet. This instrument can be used in conjunction with bubbler or immersion tank systems, or with a test bench or in laboratory applications. The Echomac® Small is available in the FD4, FD6 or FD6A versions.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window