where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Reza Alavi
Université Laval, Canada, Joined Jul 2019, 4

Reza Alavi

Université Laval,
Canada,
Joined Jul 2019
14:33 Jul-30-2019
Detecting delamination in thin carbon steel plates using phased array UT

Hello,

I am very new in UT testing. I am using a TOPAZ 32 UT machine and I am supposed to detect delaminations inside relatively thin carbon steel plates (around 3-4 mm thickness). I am using a phased array prob with 128 elements with a thick cubic wedge on it (around 4 cm thickness). I set the device to send straight beams perpendicular to the surface with 16 aperture. I am not sure if this type of prob and the method is good enough to detect delaminations or cracks parallel to the surface. Does anybody have any suggestion on how to detect this kind of defects in thin steel plates? I would appreciate your advice.

bommakanti srinivas
bommakanti srinivas
05:29 Jul-31-2019
Re: Detecting delamination in thin carbon steel plates using phased array UT
In Reply to Reza Alavi at 14:33 Jul-30-2019 (Opening).

sir

can't it be possible with conventional UT with delay probe (HIGH FREQUENCY & SMALLER DIAMETER)

regards
B.SRINIVAS

Reza Alavi

Reza Alavi

Université Laval,
Canada,
Joined Jul 2019
13:30 Jul-31-2019
In Reply to bommakanti srinivas at 05:29 Jul-31-2019 .

Hello,

Thank you for your input, I will try to give it a try.

Regards,
Reza

Wiesław Bicz
Engineering,
PBP Optel sp. z o.o., Poland, Joined Feb 2009, 268

Wiesław Bicz

Engineering,
PBP Optel sp. z o.o.,
Poland,
Joined Feb 2009
14:02 Jul-31-2019
In Reply to Reza Alavi at 14:33 Jul-30-2019 (Opening).

How thin are your thin plates?

Reza Alavi

Reza Alavi

Université Laval,
Canada,
Joined Jul 2019
14:14 Jul-31-2019
In Reply to Wiesław Bicz at 14:02 Jul-31-2019 .

between 3 to 4 mm.

Wiesław Bicz
Engineering,

Wiesław Bicz

Engineering,
PBP Optel sp. z o.o.,
Poland,
Joined Feb 2009
15:14 Jul-31-2019
In Reply to Reza Alavi at 14:14 Jul-31-2019 .

I would also suggest the use of standard flat transducer with delay line, high frequency and short pulse. Phased array do not offer any significant advantage in this case, would be even disturbing due to phase noise). The main difficulty is the detection of delaminations, that could occur very close to rear surface of the plate. During the measurement you should check, if the reflection of the rear surface of the plate is always correct - any flaw (and especially the delamination) will cause, that this signal will be disturbed, but delamination very close to this surface could be overseen - especially, if the signal will be not very short. Frankly speaking the best method would be to use the transmission (with transducers on both side on the plate). This method would be able to detect any flaw and any delamination.

Reza Alavi

Reza Alavi

Université Laval,
Canada,
Joined Jul 2019
15:43 Jul-31-2019
In Reply to Wiesław Bicz at 15:14 Jul-31-2019 .

Dear Wieslaw,

Thank you for your through response. It was very helpful. Unfortunately, I think I only have phased array transducers available. Do you think if using phased-array pitch-catch configuration (instead of pulse-echo) would be helpful ? If yes, do you know how should we set up the phased-array 1D linear transducer in a way that turns some elements to pulser and the others to receivers for phased-array pitch-catch method ? I tried to change the setting from pulse-echo to pitch-catch and I received some errors.

Thanks,
Reza

Wiesław Bicz
Engineering,

Wiesław Bicz

Engineering,
PBP Optel sp. z o.o.,
Poland,
Joined Feb 2009
16:10 Jul-31-2019
In Reply to Reza Alavi at 15:43 Jul-31-2019 .

I have no experience with your machine to be able to help with settings. With phased array you can use the mode, when all transducers are sending at the set time and receiving after some delay. It will be close to using flat transducer. But since the size of your probe is large, it may cause, that small defects will be not very good visible. It is also possible to use one or few transducers as sender and the same or neighbour transducer as receiver. But from my point of view it will be much better to acquire simple flat transducer with short pulse and for example 10 MHz and use it with your machine (this is possible). You will get much clearer results.

Wiesław Bicz
Engineering,

Wiesław Bicz

Engineering,
PBP Optel sp. z o.o.,
Poland,
Joined Feb 2009
16:14 Jul-31-2019
In Reply to Reza Alavi at 15:43 Jul-31-2019 .

If you are interested, we can sell you such transducers.

Product Spotlight

AMIGO2

TSC Amigo2 - ACFM technology has developed a solid reputation for accurately detecting and sizing
surface-breaking cracks through paint and coatings. As the industry demands increased performance in speed, signal quality, and portability, it’s time for an evolution. It’s time for Amigo2.
>

Wireless TOFD scanner

Quick, accurate and highly reproducible welds testing. The System operates wirelessly and is compat
ible with any type of Windows based Laptop, Desktop or Tablet.
>

Varex Imaging Large Field of View (FOV) Digital Detector Arrays (DDAs)

A larger FOV DDA can reduce the space and volume of the X-ray inspection system on the factory floor
, enable faster scanning times, better throughput and better resolution images at a lower dose. Customers can also save time and money. With these benefits in mind, Varex Imaging has designed a family of large FOV detectors (4343HE, XRD 1611, 4343DX-I, 4343CT) for our industrial imaging customers.
>

Magnetic X-Ray Pipeline Crawler 6''-60''

Suitable to work in 6''-60''diameter with speed of up to 18m/min, Max. moving diatance 5 kilometer
s and provide the efficient inspection of the pipeline.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window