where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

TecScan Systems
We offer a complete line of NDT scanners, Immersion Tanks & Gantry systems which incorporate Ultrasonic, Phased Array & Eddy Current technologies.
Technical Discussions
Steve K
USA, Joined Aug 2017, 5

Steve K

USA,
Joined Aug 2017
21:02 Aug-21-2019
Flux Flow Coils

I have a customer that's looking into a magnetic wet bench that can conduct multi-directional magnetizations. Instead of using traditional coils he talked about using something called 'flux flow coils'. I've never heard of this before. Can anyone give me more information about this?

George Hopman
Consultant,
NDE Solutions, USA, Joined Apr 2009, 44

George Hopman

Consultant,
NDE Solutions,
USA,
Joined Apr 2009
18:31 Aug-26-2019
Re: Flux Flow Coils
In Reply to Steve K at 21:02 Aug-21-2019 (Opening).

Magwerks out of Indianapolis has the best unit out there. I suggest contacting them.

Rick Lopez
R & D,
John Deere - Moline Technology Innovation Center, USA, Joined Jul 2011, 191

Rick Lopez

R & D,
John Deere - Moline Technology Innovation Center,
USA,
Joined Jul 2011
17:11 Aug-27-2019
In Reply to Steve K at 21:02 Aug-21-2019 (Opening).

Steve,
I first saw this term used in two of Donald Hagemaier's 1991 Materials Evaluation articles where he promoted the use of these, and predicted a future move away from the traditional magnetizing coil when performing multi-directional and 3-D magnetization. Your question indicates how this forecast has fared thus far.

The idea behind them seems relatively simple, as they are coils wrapped around copper-covered laminated steel cores situated at the headstock and tailstock on a wet bench. The claim was that a more consistent longitudinal magnetization was possible across fairly long distances as opposed to more limited distances with a traditional coil. At least a few current vendors offer them as an option, but opinions on maximum length of usefulness seems to vary considerably (range seems to be from 20" up to 48"). I believe there has also been some exploratory work on the effect of having the two flux flow coils working together and opposing each other.

John Brunk
Engineering, NDT Level III
Self employed, part-time, USA, Joined Oct 1999, 162

John Brunk

Engineering, NDT Level III
Self employed, part-time,
USA,
Joined Oct 1999
23:14 Aug-27-2019
In Reply to Rick Lopez at 17:11 Aug-27-2019 .

I have had very good experience with flux flow machines for relatively small parts such as bolts from 0.25” diam, 1” length to 0.75” diam, 8” length. Part I’ve was limited by maximum distance between the contacts.

Product Spotlight

Varex Imaging Large Field of View (FOV) Digital Detector Arrays (DDAs)

A larger FOV DDA can reduce the space and volume of the X-ray inspection system on the factory floor
, enable faster scanning times, better throughput and better resolution images at a lower dose. Customers can also save time and money. With these benefits in mind, Varex Imaging has designed a family of large FOV detectors (4343HE, XRD 1611, 4343DX-I, 4343CT) for our industrial imaging customers.
>

IRIS 9000Plus - Introducing the next generation of heat exchanger inspection.

Representing the seventh generation of the IRIS system, the IRIS 9000 Plus has nearly 200 years of c
ombined field inspection experience incorporated in its design. This experience combined with a strong commitment to quality and a history of innovation has made Iris Inspection Services® the undisputed leader in IRIS technology.
>

NOVO Armor 15 & NOVO Armor 22

The Armor Kit Contains the NOVO Armor, which provides additional mechanical protection to the NOVO 1
5WN & NOVO 22WN Detectors, the Armor Stand and a traveling soft cover. - Newest shock absorbent technology case - Water resistant design - Supports wired & wireless communication - Multiple positioning options - Tripod connection using the Built-in 1/4” threads - Simple Detector battery replacement
>

Echomac® PA Bar Tester

The Echomac® PA BT provides 100% inspection of round bars for core and surface defects, at speeds u
p to 2 m/sec, depending on the specific application. The unit allows producers to handle a much larger range of diameters in one installation, and is available in 3 models to test 10 – 75mm diameter (small model); 20 – 130mm (medium model) or 50 – 254mm (large model) bars.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window