where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Nikos Roussos
Greece, Joined Aug 2019, 2

Nikos Roussos

Greece,
Joined Aug 2019
21:33 Sep-01-2019
PAUT inspection of thick welds
zoom image

weld

Dear experts,
I‘ve been asked if I can inspect properly welded pipes with thickness of 90mm.
The equipment that I have is a Sonatest Prisma 16:64 with X3-PE-5.0M64E0.6P 64 element probe. I will also use a weld scanner from Phoenix.
Do you think my equipment is capable of giving me reliable results in such thick welds with the geometry shown in the figure? Do you think I should get a sensor with less frequency (2,25 or 3,5 MHz)?
Additional to PAUT inspection I will also perform TOFD, but my main concerns are for the PAUT.

Creed
NDT Inspector,
n.n., Joined Jul 2009, 31

Creed

NDT Inspector,
n.n.,
Joined Jul 2009
06:15 Sep-02-2019
Re: PAUT inspection of thick welds
In Reply to Nikos Roussos at 21:33 Sep-01-2019 (Opening).

First of all, the inspection should be performed following the standard and acceptance criteria or your company procedure writing; follow the standard, I am pretty sure you will have the answer YES or NO for your question.
My opinion you need to conduct the inspection with multi scans to cover entire the weld body, however based on the sketch of weld configuration the bevel angle should be concerned as a limitation, due to oriental of the fusion face defects wouldn't give the good refection with the PAUT sectorial beam.

Elias Campanario
Engineering,
Tecnicas Reunidas, Spain, Joined Oct 2013, 3

Elias Campanario

Engineering,
Tecnicas Reunidas,
Spain,
Joined Oct 2013
10:22 Sep-02-2019

Dear Nikos;

Regarding your question, in my opinion, the best solution in your case would be to combine inspection by ToFD and PAUT.

In any case, you should make a mock up with notches in the welding bevel, in which to test the scan plan that you generate for the inspection.

As for the PAUT probes, maybe for that thickness you need a 3.5 or 2.25 MHz probe.
With the 5MHz probe, maybe you to have a lot of noise at great depth.

I hope I've helped.

Ali
NDT Inspector,
Iran, Joined Mar 2013, 101

Ali

NDT Inspector,
Iran,
Joined Mar 2013
15:39 Sep-02-2019

this bevel configuration is not suitable for PAUT Sectorial scan but you can apply Tofd for better detection of side wall defect.If you have access to inside of vessel,perform Tofd and PAUT scan from out side and inside ( only half skip for PAUT) .this technique will reduce tofd dead zone only in backwall area and for PAUT will reduce sound path and increase signal to nois ratio in half skip instead of full skip scan.
Hope material grains is fine and surface is not wrought for PAUT and Tofd inspection.

laurie
Australia, Joined Feb 2019, 28

laurie

Australia,
Joined Feb 2019
02:35 Sep-03-2019

If you're going to be doing more of this type of work I'd suggest your boss might have to stump up for some simulation software.

Use a simulator like UTMan which from memory is something like 100 Euro and does manual UT, TOFD and AUT.
http://www.utsim.co.uk/index.html

If you have a couple of thousand dollars then Beamtools will do everything and also has sectorial beamset beam energy display which would be a big help for your long beam paths.
https://www.eclipsescientific.com/beamtool.html

There are lots of others including Olympus NDT SetupBuilder
https://www.olympus-ims.com/en/omniscan-software/#!cms[tab]=%2Fomniscan-software%2Fndt-setupbuilder

Product Spotlight

AMIGO2

TSC Amigo2 - ACFM technology has developed a solid reputation for accurately detecting and sizing
surface-breaking cracks through paint and coatings. As the industry demands increased performance in speed, signal quality, and portability, it’s time for an evolution. It’s time for Amigo2.
>

AIS229 - Multipurpose Real Time System

Latest standard & automatic real time system developed by Balteau. The AIS229 has been designed to
do series inspection in a wide variety of industry. Composed of a shielded cabinet, 5 axis manipulator, x-ray generator and tubehead from 160kV to 225kV, a fl at panel & much more, the AIS229 is most certainly one of the most multipurpose RTR system available on the market.
>

NovaScope 6000

The all-digital Novascope 6000 is a portable, ultra-high precision thickness gauge for high-speed
thickness measurement. Novascope 6000 has unmatched capabilities and unique features including: •Superior Resolution with high contrast, high-speed color RF display •High pulser voltage •Real-time video output •Increased internal/external data storage •Programmable SetUp features •Battery & AC Powered
>

FMC/TFM

Next generation for Phased Array UT is here now with FMC/TFM! Have higher resolution imaging, impr
oved signal to noise ratio, characterize, size and analyze defects better with access to several wave mode views and save raw FMC data for higher quality analysis.  Some of the benefits are:
  • Beautiful Image! Easier to understand what you're looking at
  • Completely focused in entire image or volume
  • Much easier to define setups before inspection
  • Easier to decipher geometry echoes from real defects
  • Oriented defects (e.g. cracks) are imaged better
  • See image from different wave modes from one FMC inspection
  • FMC data can be reprocessed/analyzed without going back to the field
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window