where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

IMG ULTRASUONI SRL
Ultrasonic transducers for industrial applications (NDT) and medical (Doppler effect). Probes, Ultrasonic instruments, Special systems for NDT.
Technical Discussions
Mart
Mart
13:50 Oct-26-2019
Ultrasonic testing butts

Hi i am new to NDT and practising UT on butt welds. Usually i will do a root scan first on the welded joint to look for defects.
How do i distinguish between difference lack of root penetration and a good root penetration?
Sometimes i also use a 60 degree probe for root scan and i get a really strong signal which im told is the root but i keep calling something that isnt there.

Any other tips for scanning would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Pedro a. Serruto gamboa
Director, Level II UT, PT
Red Code Quality, Peru, Joined Sep 2013, 86

Pedro a. Serruto gamboa

Director, Level II UT, PT
Red Code Quality,
Peru,
Joined Sep 2013
19:52 Oct-26-2019
Re: Ultrasonic testing butts
In Reply to Mart at 13:50 Oct-26-2019 (Opening).

Dear anonimus, the horizontal distance to the indication will help you, if the distance is a little far away from the center line of the weld and in the begining of the second leg (if you’ve put the nominal thickness of the plate) maybe we’re talking about a root indication, but, if the distance is before the center line with a depth equal or lesser than the nominal thickness, it could be a signal from a lack of fusion in the root, maybe the bevel is not fusioned in the root.

Creed
NDT Inspector,
n.n., Joined Jul 2009, 31

Creed

NDT Inspector,
n.n.,
Joined Jul 2009
05:19 Oct-28-2019
Re: Ultrasonic testing butts
In Reply to Mart at 13:50 Oct-26-2019 (Opening).

Hi,
Please be aware 60 degree probe is not good for root scan due to reflection effective. You should use 45 (for thick weld) and 70 (for thin weld) to check the root with half skip, the rule is any indication less than half skip could be from poor root, any indication just pass over the half skip then that indicate a good root. Furthermore, to define to discontinuity you should calculate the sound path and plot out the indications.

Product Spotlight

XRHRobotStar

In high volume industries like automotive the requirement for a hundred percent X-ray inspection c
reates a bottleneck in the production. The XRHRobotStar is a fully Automated Defect Recognition (ADR) capable robot-system that allows an ultra-fast in-line inspection.
>

MIZ®-21C: Truly Affordable Eddy Current Handheld with Surface Array Capability

Introducing MIZ-21C, the first truly affordable handheld eddy current instrument with surface array
capabilities. MIZ-21C can deliver fast, accurate inspections in demanding NDT applications including aerospace, oil and gas, manufacturing, and power generation. The surface array solution can reduce inspection time by up to 95% compared to traditional handheld pencil probes. The ergonomic design, long battery life, and intuitive touchscreen mean you can inspect more areas faster than ever without fatigue.
>

NEW! The PragmaPro Instrument Platform

The PragmaPro is based on a modular cartridge technology and supports various NDT instrument modal
ities such as UT, PAUT, ECT and many more. This new platform is based on a machined, powder-coated aluminum frame for shock-proofness, best sealing qualities and maximum heat dissipation. This is practical to extend the outdoor temperature range and/or to extend the power injected in the transducers. The PragmaPro is aiming at a very wide range of applications, such as weld scanning, corrosion mapping and composite testing.
>

Silverwing RMS PA - Phased-array corrosion mapping

Eddyfi Technologies integrated two market leading solutions, Silverwing’s RMS and M2M’s instru
ments to provide a high-speed, remote access ultrasonic phased-array inspection system with live total focusing method (TFM).
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window