where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
hafez
nevrsel, Egypt, Joined Feb 2019, 5

hafez

nevrsel,
Egypt,
Joined Feb 2019
12:12 Dec-09-2019
ut probes

what is coverage of 15.6mm probe (effective beam width)

J.B.
J.B.
00:44 Dec-11-2019
Re: ut probes
In Reply to hafez at 12:12 Dec-09-2019 (Opening).

It would be wise to give more specification / data of the probe you refer to. That would make it easier to give you an advice.

hafez

hafez

nevrsel,
Egypt,
Joined Feb 2019
06:55 Dec-11-2019
In Reply to J.B. at 00:44 Dec-11-2019 .

it is in AUT the probe has crystal 15.6x8 .4MHz, normal, single element probe placed on wedge .wit water coupling agent .
and if it was angle probe with same specification which gives 45 degee what will be the coverage

Paul Holloway
Consultant,
Holloway NDT & Engineering Inc , Canada, Joined Apr 2010, 242

Paul Holloway

Consultant,
Holloway NDT & Engineering Inc ,
Canada,
Joined Apr 2010
13:27 Dec-11-2019
In Reply to hafez at 06:55 Dec-11-2019 .

Are you actually performing the inspection? This is worrisome.

You need to know this stuff before attempting inspections, likely on some client's very expensive assets with potentially massive safety implications. My assumption is that you're looking at a pressure vessel or piping?

If you get advice off the internet, then in some small way we've enabled your completely irresponsible behaviour to continue, possibly with dire consequences. No thanks.

(Now, I will completely walk back all of the above if you are a student and asked merely for interest sake. In that case, I'm sorry. I get tired of reading posts from supposed inspectors asking simple questions on how to fast track right to the final answer without having done the hard work first).

hafez

hafez

nevrsel,
Egypt,
Joined Feb 2019
20:56 Dec-18-2019
In Reply to Paul Holloway at 13:27 Dec-11-2019 .

is it bothering you to help answering the question or you first must ask for my qualifications . you have knowledge and i respect that but you don't . what's your benefits to know my qualifications .i think i didn't ask about my qualifications to answer me like that way you have knowledge and you see that my question is not worth to be answered then its your point of view .i think this forum is made for knowledge gain not insulting people .thank you for your great answer.

Mario Talarico
NDT Inspector,
Italy, Joined May 2010, 423

Mario Talarico

NDT Inspector,
Italy,
Joined May 2010
23:17 Dec-18-2019
In Reply to hafez at 20:56 Dec-18-2019 .

The conventions to be respected before opening any technical discussion are few and I invite you to respect them correctly:
- Before creating a new discussion, make sure you have done some research both on ndt.net and on the web. It is very likely that someone has already discussed your own topic;
- Choose a title that best describes the main topic of the discussion. Titles like: ut probe, UT probe field, help, I'm stuck, I'm desperate and so on, they don't say anything about the content of the discussion, they are not useful to everyone, and above all they make them nervous!
- In the body of the discussion, to describe one's own experience on the topic, as much information as possible, express correctly and avoid SMS languages, abbreviations or any other strange terminology;
- Only at this point you can open your technical discussions and in an interesting way for everyone! Follow these simple steps and you will get positive answers.
In our forum, the 'pappa pronta' does not exist.
 Perhaps we should formalize it but understand it from the kind of questions that irritate or not have answered.
greetings
mario

Rolf Diederichs
Director,
NDT.net, Germany, Joined Nov 1998, 616

Rolf Diederichs

Director,
NDT.net,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
23:46 Dec-18-2019

I feel petty that people left the original subject. In any case we should allow simple questions and post on the subject. Who does not like the question must not give any answer. We should take in account that people are here from all over the world from countries with different cultures and education systems. We should not discourage other people to post questions because that is not the mission of this forum.

J.B. asked Hefez for more details. Hafez posted the details and from this point we should continue this discussion on the subject.

Rolf

Steven Cox
Steven Cox
01:24 Dec-19-2019

There are many variables that will affect coverage, such as velocity, surface condition, couplant, temperature, grain size, gain, beam divergence, frequency. The easiest way to determine coverage is to plot the beam. This should give you the answer you seek.

hafez

hafez

nevrsel,
Egypt,
Joined Feb 2019
08:12 Dec-19-2019
In Reply to Steven Cox at 01:24 Dec-19-2019 .

thank you for your efforts ,and i appreciate it . but does the crystal of probe of 15.6 gives beam width with 15.6 or there is effective beam width which is less than this and how i know it .is there any calculations for it and sure with adding the divergence also in mind to conclude the coverage . supposed that the other factors like grain size temperature etc is fixed

Steven Cox
Steven Cox
05:47 Dec-30-2019
In Reply to hafez at 08:12 Dec-19-2019 .

appologies for my delay, take a look at the beam simulator and ultrasonics calculator here:
https://www.attar.com.au/training-aids-resources/
this will probably best answer your questions

Ali
NDT Inspector,
Iran, Joined Mar 2013, 117

Ali

NDT Inspector,
Iran,
Joined Mar 2013
12:49 Dec-30-2019
In Reply to hafez at 08:12 Dec-19-2019 .

Hafez,

To check the beam wide of AUT probes(I assume it is zonal discrimination technique for pipeline girth weld testing),you need to check scan data of calibration block.Each zone (usually for fusion face) should have enough beam overlaps to see the reflector of
adjusent zone at least -6 dB below the reference level.then you can easily calculate the beam wide base on reflector depths and beam overlaps of adjusent zones.

Product Spotlight

Immersion systems

ScanMaster ultrasonic immersion systems are designed for high throughput, multi shift operation in a
n industrial or lab environment. These fully integrated systems provide various scanning configurations and incorporate conventional and phased arrays technologies to support diverse applications, such as inspection of disks, bars, shafts, billets and plates. All of ScanMaster immersion systems are built from high accuracy scanning frames allowing for scanning of complex parts and include a multi-channel ultrasonic instrument with exceptional performance. The systems are approved by all major manufacturers for C-scan inspection of jet engine forged discs. Together with a comprehensive set of software modules these flexible series of systems provide the customer with the best price performance solutions.
>

A1525 SOLO

A1525 Solo – the most compact and affordable TMF unit with two phased array transducers and 3D v
isualization and analysis software in standard delivery set. A compact, ergonomic and easy to handheld Phased Array unit based on Total Focusing Method for easy-going imaging of inspection objects with two-dimensional and three-dimensional visualization and evaluation of inspection results.
>

32:128PR PAUT & 2-ch TOFD Flaw Detector: SyncScan 2

●32:128PR PAUT with optional 2-ch TOFD to maximize your efficiency ●Support PR mode for corrosi
on inspection ●Multiple solutions for welds & corrosion ●Faster scan speed (Approximately 3 meters/minute) ●Light weight: 4kg only including battery
>

On-Demand Webinar: Advanced Ultrasonic Techniques for HTHA Detection & Assessment

In the Oil and Gas industry, High Temperature Hydrogen Attack (HTHA) can occur in steels operating a
t high temperature, usually above 205°C (400°F). Early stages of HTHA are very difficult to detect. Join us for a webinar presented by Guy Maes, Zetec Sales Engineer Director. The webinar will demonstrate how advanced ultrasonic techniques are deployed for efficient and reliable HTHA inspections.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window