where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Rich
Rich
00:04 Feb-01-2020
UT Curvature Correction

I’ve got a question for you if you don’t mind. I’m taking a test and need to report the flaw location with curvature correction. The Outside Diameter of the plate is 205.22 inches with a thickness of 11.44 inches. When I record a flaw from the Outside Diameter with a given angle say 46 degrees. The particular software I’m using doesn’t correct for Curvature. So if I record a flaw at a certain depth from the Outside Diameter I then have to give the position inside the metal. So is there a formula that I can use to perform this calculation? I hope this makes sense. If you need more information you can email me.

Anmol Birring
Consultant,
Birring NDE Center, Inc., USA, Joined Aug 2011, 805

Anmol Birring

Consultant,
Birring NDE Center, Inc.,
USA,
Joined Aug 2011
14:44 Feb-02-2020
Re: UT Curvature Correction
In Reply to Rich at 00:04 Feb-01-2020 (Opening).

Just make a drawing to scale and figure out.
The other option to use trignometry

Paul Holloway
Consultant,
Holloway NDT & Engineering Inc , Canada, Joined Apr 2010, 242

Paul Holloway

Consultant,
Holloway NDT & Engineering Inc ,
Canada,
Joined Apr 2010
12:02 Feb-04-2020

Hi Rich,

I answered this for you on my website in the comments section:

http://www.hollowayndt.com/news/2019/2/20/ultrasonic-inspection-angles-on-curved-surfaces

Paul

Richard Riddles
Richard Riddles
00:20 Feb-05-2020

Paul,

Thanks for taking the time to create this formula! We we say “sound path”, I’m calibrated in depth not metal path. Will the formula still work entering the depth in the material instead of metal path?

Thanks again,
Richard

Product Spotlight

A1525 SOLO

A1525 Solo – the most compact and affordable TMF unit with two phased array transducers and 3D v
isualization and analysis software in standard delivery set. A compact, ergonomic and easy to handheld Phased Array unit based on Total Focusing Method for easy-going imaging of inspection objects with two-dimensional and three-dimensional visualization and evaluation of inspection results.
>

AIS229 - Multipurpose Real Time System

Latest standard & automatic real time system developed by Balteau. The AIS229 has been designed to
do series inspection in a wide variety of industry. Composed of a shielded cabinet, 5 axis manipulator, x-ray generator and tubehead from 160kV to 225kV, a fl at panel & much more, the AIS229 is most certainly one of the most multipurpose RTR system available on the market.
>

Compact NDT inspection-heads for measurements with active thermography

The compact inspection head is suitable for thermographic ndt tasks. The uncooled infrared camera
is specially developed for NDI-tasks and offers a thermal sensitivity until now known only from thermal imagers with cooled detector. All required components and functions are integrated into the inspection-head. You will only need an ethernet cable to connect the sensor with the evaluation system.
>

GEKKO, Standard and Advanced phased-array for Easier inspection

M2M Gekko® is a field-proven flaw detector offering PAUT, UT, TOFD and TFM through the streamline
d user interface Capture™. Released in 32:128, 64:64 or 64:128 channel configurations, Gekko combines high- resolution and speed while reducing inspectors’ training time.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window