where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
DEBDUTTA MALLIK
Consultant,
Malaysia, Joined Jun 2005, 37

DEBDUTTA MALLIK

Consultant,
Malaysia,
Joined Jun 2005
09:25 Nov-02-2006
TCG CURVE

Dear friends,
Please let me know the method to draw a TCG curve in Ultrasonic testing system when there is only one reference reflector. Is there any calculation on the basis of depth of the material,amplitude or the size of reflector.What will be the rate of decreasing in dB upto zero so that I become same sensitive at all depth.Following are the informatiopn for your understanding.
Depth of the material: 74mm
Reference reflector: 1.5mm FBH 15mm depth

Your reply will be very useful for me.

Best Regards,

Debdutta Mallik

Linxiao
Linxiao
08:37 Nov-06-2006
Re: TCG CURVE
Following the link (session 33), you can find several papers on the "2004 ultrasonic benchmark" problem. Their calculations can answer your questions.

good luck!

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Dear friends,
: Please let me know the method to draw a TCG curve in Ultrasonic testing system when there is only one reference reflector. Is there any calculation on the basis of depth of the material,amplitude or the size of reflector.What will be the rate of decreasing in dB upto zero so that I become same sensitive at all depth.Following are the informatiopn for your understanding.
: Depth of the material: 74mm
: Reference reflector: 1.5mm FBH 15mm depth
: Your reply will be very useful for me.
:
: Best Regards,
:
: Debdutta Mallik
------------ End Original Message ------------

Linxiao
Linxiao
08:37 Nov-06-2006
Following the link (session 33), you can find several papers on the "2004 ultrasonic benchmark" problem. Their calculations can answer your questions.

http://www.cnde.iastate.edu/QNDE/2004%20Info/Abstract%20Book.pdf

good luck!

: Please let me know the method to draw a TCG curve in Ultrasonic testing system when there is only one reference reflector. Is there any calculation on the basis of depth of the material,amplitude or the size of reflector.What will be the rate of decreasing in dB upto zero so that I become same sensitive at all depth.Following are the informatiopn for your understanding.
:
:

Joe Buckley
Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT, United Kingdom, Joined Oct 1999, 523

Joe Buckley

Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
09:44 Nov-06-2006
You cannot construct a curve from one point...

However if you have a very good theoretical understanding of the system it might be possible to calculate a curve (in a way similar to the DGS system.) the single reference then allows a sensitivity alignment.

The risk of this is that if you make any incorrect assumptions the curve wont be valid.

Using three or more reference points is the only reliable experimental approach.

Joe

:
:

Ed Ginzel
R & D, -
Materials Research Institute, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 1274

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
02:03 Nov-07-2006
If the probe you are using is circular the equations derived by Prof. I. N. Ermolov may be useful to derive an approximate curve. I provided the solutions in a user friendly form in an NDT.net article a few years ago.
http://www.ndt.net/article/v07n01/ginzel/ginzel.htm

By entering the attenuation as 0dB/mm you will get the uncorrected version of the relative amplitudes of the selected reflector. i.e. this is the approximate effect of just the spherical divergence effects.

Ed

: You cannot construct a curve from one point...
: However if you have a very good theoretical understanding of the system it might be possible to calculate a curve (in a way similar to the DGS system.) the single reference then allows a sensitivity alignment.
: The risk of this is that if you make any incorrect assumptions the curve wont be valid.
: Using three or more reference points is the only reliable experimental approach.
: Joe
:
: : Dear friends,
: : Please let me know the method to draw a TCG curve in Ultrasonic testing system when there is only one reference reflector. Is there any calculation on the basis of depth of the material,amplitude or the size of reflector.What will be the rate of decreasing in dB upto zero so that I become same sensitive at all depth.Following are the informatiopn for your understanding.
: : Depth of the material: 74mm
: : Reference reflector: 1.5mm FBH 15mm depth
: : Your reply will be very useful for me.
: :
: : Best Regards,
: :
: : Debdutta Mallik

Khurath
SIS, India, Joined Jan 2018, 2

Khurath

SIS,
India,
Joined Jan 2018
06:25 Mar-14-2019
In Reply to Joe Buckley at 09:44 Nov-06-2006 .

Thanks for this information of sensitivity calibration and for above 74mm thickness what should be our material debt for calibration

Product Spotlight

Lyft™: Pulsed Eddy Current Reinvented

PEC Reinvented—CUI Programs Redefined Corrosion under insulation (CUI) is possibly the greatest u
nresolved asset integrity problem in the industry. Current methods for measuring wall thickness with liftoff, without removing insulation, all have severe limitations. Eddyfi introduces Lyft — a reinvented, high-performance pulsed eddy current (PEC) solution. The patent- pending system features a state-of-the-art portable instrument, real- time C-scan imaging, fast data acquisition with grid-mapping and dynamic scanning modes, and flexibility with long cables. It can also scan through thick metal and insulation, as well as aluminum, stainless steel, and galvanized steel weather jackets. Who else but Eddyfi to reinvent an eddy current technique and redefine CUI programs. Got Lyft?
>

MUSE Mobile Ultrasonic Equipment

The MUSE, a portable ultrasonic imaging system, was developed for in-field inspections of light-weig
ht structures. The MUSE consists of a motor-driven manipulator, a water circulation system for the acoustic coupling and a portable ultrasonic flaw detector (USPC 3010). The MUSE provides images of internal defects (A-, B-,C- and D-scan).
>

NEOS III

NEOS III is Logos Imagings lightest DR system. With a built-in battery and internal wireless commu
nication, the NEOS III is perfect for users that want to quickly assess an item.
>

Ultrasonic Testing Immersion Tanks with Unmatched Scanning Features

TecScan’s non-destructive testing Ultrasonic Immersion Tanks & scanners are designed for high pe
rformance and demanding NDT testing applications. Our Scan3D™ line of High Precision Immersion Tanks are specifically designed for automated ultrasonic testing of complex composites parts used in aerospace and industrial applications.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window