where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Mike
Mike
07:32 Nov-25-2006
Exposure with Cobalt 60

Is a 16 curie colbalt source strong enough to shoot a 28" diameter 3" thick weld using a double wall exposure single wall viewing technique?

Anandam
Engineering, - DyGM - Operations & Reliability
Air Liquide India Limited, India, Joined Oct 2001, 13

Anandam

Engineering, - DyGM - Operations & Reliability
Air Liquide India Limited,
India,
Joined Oct 2001
07:04 Nov-26-2006
Re: Exposure with Cobalt 60
It hardly matter with the strength of the source as you need to give more exposure time. As far as the three inch double wall is concerned it can work as Cobalt 60 can penetrate up to 180 mm thick of steel. You can see the calculation chart for the same for particular film used.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Is a 16 curie colbalt source strong enough to shoot a 28" diameter 3" thick weld using a double wall exposure single wall viewing technique?
------------ End Original Message ------------

DJ Kallhof
DJ Kallhof
02:55 Nov-27-2006
You might want to check your Ug requirement before you attempt this time consuming endeavor. Unless your physical source size is .186" (4.7244mm) or less your geometric unsharpness will be over .020" (0.508mm). That low a power source will require a faster film and possibly salt screens which will decrease sensitivity. I would look to see if the customer thought ahead and installed a port for a "J" tube.
: Is a 16 curie colbalt source strong enough to shoot a 28" diameter 3" thick weld using a double wall exposure single wall viewing technique?

DJ Kallhof
DJ Kallhof
03:16 Nov-27-2006
I must apologize. I knew I was wrong as soon as I closed the first reply. I calculated the total diameter rather than from the front face of the opposite wall. Your source size will have to be .166" (4.216mm) or less.
: You might want to check your Ug requirement before you attempt this time consuming endeavor. Unless your physical source size is .186" (4.7244mm) or less your geometric unsharpness will be over .020" (0.508mm). That low a power source will require a faster film and possibly salt screens which will decrease sensitivity. I would look to see if the customer thought ahead and installed a port for a "J" tube.
: : Is a 16 curie colbalt source strong enough to shoot a 28" diameter 3" thick weld using a double wall exposure single wall viewing technique?

Product Spotlight

Research Center IDEKO develops an ultrasonic train wheel inspection system for CAF

The Basque Research centre IK4-IDEKO has developed a state-of-the-art ultrasonic inspection system f
or the train wheel. This system secures a sound condition of train wheels and is thus a significant contribution to rail transport safety. The device was delivered to CAF recently and its use allows the manufacturer to become an approved supplier of rolling stock in Italy, as it meets the demanding homologation standards of this country. \\\\r\\\\n
>

OmniScan™ X3 flaw detector

The OmniScan X3 flaw detector is a complete phased array toolbox. Powerful tools, like total focus
ing method (TFM) images and advanced visualization capabilities, enable you to complete your inspection with greater confidence.
>

NEW! The PragmaPro Instrument Platform

The PragmaPro is based on a modular cartridge technology and supports various NDT instrument modal
ities such as UT, PAUT, ECT and many more. This new platform is based on a machined, powder-coated aluminum frame for shock-proofness, best sealing qualities and maximum heat dissipation. This is practical to extend the outdoor temperature range and/or to extend the power injected in the transducers. The PragmaPro is aiming at a very wide range of applications, such as weld scanning, corrosion mapping and composite testing.
>

EKOSCAN Phased Array

In order to always fit your needs, EKOSCAN can manufacture any type of UT transducer, either convent
ional or Phased Array. As an ISO 9001: 2015 certified company, EKOSCAN is extremely careful as far a material selection and manufacturing processes are concerned. Our probes guarantee our customers the benefits of latest innovations regarding piezo-composite, backing, impedance adaptation layer, etc. Specific probes for hostile environment: high temperature, high pressure, corrosive environment,etc. Specific probes designed to fit your specific application: optimization of every parameter to guarantee you the best detection.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window