where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Ultrasonic Sciences Ltd
We specialize in the design and manufacture of automated and semi-automated ultrasonic testing systems, including multi axis, multi channels systems and phased array electronics.
Technical Discussions
Mike
Mike
07:32 Nov-25-2006
Exposure with Cobalt 60

Is a 16 curie colbalt source strong enough to shoot a 28" diameter 3" thick weld using a double wall exposure single wall viewing technique?

Anandam
Engineering, - DyGM - Operations & Reliability
Air Liquide India Limited, India, Joined Oct 2001, 13

Anandam

Engineering, - DyGM - Operations & Reliability
Air Liquide India Limited,
India,
Joined Oct 2001
07:04 Nov-26-2006
Re: Exposure with Cobalt 60
It hardly matter with the strength of the source as you need to give more exposure time. As far as the three inch double wall is concerned it can work as Cobalt 60 can penetrate up to 180 mm thick of steel. You can see the calculation chart for the same for particular film used.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Is a 16 curie colbalt source strong enough to shoot a 28" diameter 3" thick weld using a double wall exposure single wall viewing technique?
------------ End Original Message ------------

DJ Kallhof
DJ Kallhof
02:55 Nov-27-2006
You might want to check your Ug requirement before you attempt this time consuming endeavor. Unless your physical source size is .186" (4.7244mm) or less your geometric unsharpness will be over .020" (0.508mm). That low a power source will require a faster film and possibly salt screens which will decrease sensitivity. I would look to see if the customer thought ahead and installed a port for a "J" tube.
: Is a 16 curie colbalt source strong enough to shoot a 28" diameter 3" thick weld using a double wall exposure single wall viewing technique?

DJ Kallhof
DJ Kallhof
03:16 Nov-27-2006
I must apologize. I knew I was wrong as soon as I closed the first reply. I calculated the total diameter rather than from the front face of the opposite wall. Your source size will have to be .166" (4.216mm) or less.
: You might want to check your Ug requirement before you attempt this time consuming endeavor. Unless your physical source size is .186" (4.7244mm) or less your geometric unsharpness will be over .020" (0.508mm). That low a power source will require a faster film and possibly salt screens which will decrease sensitivity. I would look to see if the customer thought ahead and installed a port for a "J" tube.
: : Is a 16 curie colbalt source strong enough to shoot a 28" diameter 3" thick weld using a double wall exposure single wall viewing technique?

Product Spotlight

TESTD-PT SYSTEM

Pulse thermography is a non-contact test method that is ideal for the characterization of thin fil
ms and coatings or the detection of defects. With a remarquable short test time and a high detection sensitivity, the Telops TESTD-PT is the perfect tool for non- destructive testing. With such high frame rates, it is even possible to investigate highly conductive or diffusive materials.
>

FD800 Bench Top Flaw Detectors

The bench-top FD800 flaw detector range combines state-of-the-art flaw detection with advanced mater
ial thickness capabilities. Designed for use in the laboratory these gauges are the tool you need for all your flaw detecting needs.
>

MIZ®-21C: Truly Affordable Eddy Current Handheld with Surface Array Capability

Introducing MIZ-21C, the first truly affordable handheld eddy current instrument with surface array
capabilities. MIZ-21C can deliver fast, accurate inspections in demanding NDT applications including aerospace, oil and gas, manufacturing, and power generation. The surface array solution can reduce inspection time by up to 95% compared to traditional handheld pencil probes. The ergonomic design, long battery life, and intuitive touchscreen mean you can inspect more areas faster than ever without fatigue.
>

Robotic laser shearography enables 100% inspection of complex, flight-critical composite structures

An article in “Composites World Magazine” showcases Non Destructive Testing of aero-structures
with Laser Shearography. Over the years Dantec Dynamics has supplied many solutions for the aerospace industry. Referring to specific customer projects several of these cases are examined to outline the advantages of using Laser Shearography for automated defect detection.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window