where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Azzam
Azzam
08:55 Sep-07-2007
IQI/penetrameter for Exotic Material?

Hello guys..
would appreciate if u guys can assist me in determining the suitable IQI for RT on exotic material such as Hastelloy-X, Nimonic 263 and others. Is there any IQI made of these materials? can i just simply use the IQI that we use on carbon steel? Thanking u in advance!

DJ Kallhof
DJ Kallhof
03:25 Sep-07-2007
Re: IQI/penetrameter for Exotic Material?
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hello guys..
: would appreciate if u guys can assist me in determining the suitable IQI for RT on exotic material such as Hastelloy-X, Nimonic 263 and others. Is there any IQI made of these materials? can i just simply use the IQI that we use on carbon steel? Thanking u in advance!
------------ End Original Message ------------

Both Hastelloy-X and Nimonic 263 are primarily Nickel based alloys. Without knowing the code you are working to I am hesitant to state wether you are able to use anything else. However, I believe you are able to substitute a softer material, ie. Steel for Nickel, when you are in a pinch. The down side is, it will require thicker shimming of the steel to compensate for the hardness difference. Remember to select the IQI based on the material thickness you are attempting to radiograph, not on the thickness of the shim you are required to use to even out the densities.

ET
ET
04:19 Sep-12-2007
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : Hello guys..
: : would appreciate if u guys can assist me in determining the suitable IQI for RT on exotic material such as Hastelloy-X, Nimonic 263 and others. Is there any IQI made of these materials? can i just simply use the IQI that we use on carbon steel? Thanking u in advance!
: Both Hastelloy-X and Nimonic 263 are primarily Nickel based alloys. Without knowing the code you are working to I am hesitant to state wether you are able to use anything else. However, I believe you are able to substitute a softer material, ie. Steel for Nickel, when you are in a pinch. The down side is, it will require thicker shimming of the steel to compensate for the hardness difference. Remember to select the IQI based on the material thickness you are attempting to radiograph, not on the thickness of the shim you are required to use to even out the densities.
------------ End Original Message ------------

That is correct. You can use an IQI from a lower group number as defined in ASME Sec. V, basically less dense materials

Vishal Gupta
Vishal Gupta
15:18 Jun-16-2013
In Reply to DJ Kallhof at 03:25 Sep-07-2007 .

For Selection of the penetrameters you can refer ASTM E-747. For Nickel based alloys contaning Ni-Cr-Mo as major elements and Ni-Cu alloys use Group-3 and group-4 penetrameter respectively.

Product Spotlight

YXLON Cougar EVO

Scalable small footprint X-ray inspection systems for assembly and laboratory applications. The
YXLON Cougar EVO series was designed to provide the "best-in- class" inspection solutions for SMT, semiconductor, and laboratory assembly applications, while maintaining a small system footprint for maximum convenience. With optimized software and hardware, these systems produce higher quality and more consistent results than other electronics inspection systems currently on the market.
>

Conformable wedge transducer

The conformability is obtained with a flexible membrane filled with water between the transducer and
the inspected component. The coupling between the membrane and the component requires a small quantity of water or couplant. The conformable wedge combines the acoustic performance of immersion technique with good coupling and low attenuation.
>

SONOAIR - air-coupled Phased Array Ultrasonic Inspection System

For highly attenuating materials, the performance of the system is critical. The ultrasonic sensors,
the scanning area and the system settings should be flexibly adapted to the test task and the material. These high expectations are met with the new and modular testing system SONOAIR. With the world’s first air-coupled phased-array UT inspection system SONOAIR we developed a technology that works with up to 4 transmitter and receiver channels with freely configurable square wave burst transmitters as wells as low noise receiving amplifiers.
>

NDT Master Lecturer

In the program both university professors and practitioners will give lectures, which guarantees the
oretical depth and practical inside. Academic Director: Prof. Dr. Christian Boller
The following lecturers are not complete: Prof. Tadeusz Stepinski, Prof. Wieslaw Staszewski, Prof. Frank Walther, Prof. Giovanni Bruno, Prof. Gerd Dobmann, Prof. Philippe Guy
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window