where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Azzam
Azzam
08:55 Sep-07-2007
IQI/penetrameter for Exotic Material?

Hello guys..
would appreciate if u guys can assist me in determining the suitable IQI for RT on exotic material such as Hastelloy-X, Nimonic 263 and others. Is there any IQI made of these materials? can i just simply use the IQI that we use on carbon steel? Thanking u in advance!

DJ Kallhof
DJ Kallhof
03:25 Sep-07-2007
Re: IQI/penetrameter for Exotic Material?
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hello guys..
: would appreciate if u guys can assist me in determining the suitable IQI for RT on exotic material such as Hastelloy-X, Nimonic 263 and others. Is there any IQI made of these materials? can i just simply use the IQI that we use on carbon steel? Thanking u in advance!
------------ End Original Message ------------

Both Hastelloy-X and Nimonic 263 are primarily Nickel based alloys. Without knowing the code you are working to I am hesitant to state wether you are able to use anything else. However, I believe you are able to substitute a softer material, ie. Steel for Nickel, when you are in a pinch. The down side is, it will require thicker shimming of the steel to compensate for the hardness difference. Remember to select the IQI based on the material thickness you are attempting to radiograph, not on the thickness of the shim you are required to use to even out the densities.

ET
ET
04:19 Sep-12-2007
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : Hello guys..
: : would appreciate if u guys can assist me in determining the suitable IQI for RT on exotic material such as Hastelloy-X, Nimonic 263 and others. Is there any IQI made of these materials? can i just simply use the IQI that we use on carbon steel? Thanking u in advance!
: Both Hastelloy-X and Nimonic 263 are primarily Nickel based alloys. Without knowing the code you are working to I am hesitant to state wether you are able to use anything else. However, I believe you are able to substitute a softer material, ie. Steel for Nickel, when you are in a pinch. The down side is, it will require thicker shimming of the steel to compensate for the hardness difference. Remember to select the IQI based on the material thickness you are attempting to radiograph, not on the thickness of the shim you are required to use to even out the densities.
------------ End Original Message ------------

That is correct. You can use an IQI from a lower group number as defined in ASME Sec. V, basically less dense materials

Vishal Gupta
Vishal Gupta
15:18 Jun-16-2013
In Reply to DJ Kallhof at 03:25 Sep-07-2007 .

For Selection of the penetrameters you can refer ASTM E-747. For Nickel based alloys contaning Ni-Cr-Mo as major elements and Ni-Cu alloys use Group-3 and group-4 penetrameter respectively.

Product Spotlight

Silverwing RMS PA - Phased-array corrosion mapping

Eddyfi Technologies integrated two market leading solutions, Silverwing’s RMS and M2M’s instru
ments to provide a high-speed, remote access ultrasonic phased-array inspection system with live total focusing method (TFM).
>

NEW! The PragmaPro Instrument Platform

The PragmaPro is based on a modular cartridge technology and supports various NDT instrument modal
ities such as UT, PAUT, ECT and many more. This new platform is based on a machined, powder-coated aluminum frame for shock-proofness, best sealing qualities and maximum heat dissipation. This is practical to extend the outdoor temperature range and/or to extend the power injected in the transducers. The PragmaPro is aiming at a very wide range of applications, such as weld scanning, corrosion mapping and composite testing.
>

EKOSCAN Phased Array

In order to always fit your needs, EKOSCAN can manufacture any type of UT transducer, either convent
ional or Phased Array. As an ISO 9001: 2015 certified company, EKOSCAN is extremely careful as far a material selection and manufacturing processes are concerned. Our probes guarantee our customers the benefits of latest innovations regarding piezo-composite, backing, impedance adaptation layer, etc. Specific probes for hostile environment: high temperature, high pressure, corrosive environment,etc. Specific probes designed to fit your specific application: optimization of every parameter to guarantee you the best detection.
>

FD800 Bench Top Flaw Detectors

The bench-top FD800 flaw detector range combines state-of-the-art flaw detection with advanced mater
ial thickness capabilities. Designed for use in the laboratory these gauges are the tool you need for all your flaw detecting needs.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window