where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Tony Li
Tony Li
09:10 Dec-10-2007
U/T Equipment for Steel Forged Bar

Can anyone advise on suitable U/T equipments for general testing of steel forged round bars (just normal carbon & alloy grades, not for power generation/aerospace usage etc)

We contacted GE and they suggested USM 35X with Dual Element Transducer. Price is very expensive and we really doubt if this is necessary to have this level of equipment.

Also for the transducer, is Single Element Transducer good enough for our product ?

Thanks

Tony Li

S.V.Swamy
Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex , India, Joined Feb 2001, 787

S.V.Swamy

Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
04:16 Dec-10-2007
Re: U/T Equipment for Steel Forged Bar
I think you will need a standard ultrasonic flaw detector. Whether you need to use a single element transducer or a dual element transducer, depends on the diameter of the steel bar. Dual element transducers will be needed for smaller diameter bars.

There are many Indian manufacturers of UT flaw detectors and I am sure you can find a good solution with in your budget. I am not connected with any of them and hence I would not recommend specific manufacturers and models etc. I can help you in evaluating the offers which you get, if you need such help.

Swamy
Hyderabad, India

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Can anyone advise on suitable U/T equipments for general testing of steel forged round bars (just normal carbon & alloy grades, not for power generation/aerospace usage etc)
: We contacted GE and they suggested USM 35X with Dual Element Transducer. Price is very expensive and we really doubt if this is necessary to have this level of equipment.
: Also for the transducer, is Single Element Transducer good enough for our product ?
: Thanks
: Tony Li
------------ End Original Message ------------

Dent
Consultant, NDE Manager NDELevel III/3
NDT Consultant, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 248

Dent

Consultant, NDE Manager NDELevel III/3
NDT Consultant,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
04:38 Dec-10-2007
I test forged bars all day long.
What sizes are your forged bars? This will determine if you need dual elements and what size single elements you need. A basic UT instrument is all you need. There are many inexpensive models out there.

: I think you will need a standard ultrasonic flaw detector. Whether you need to use a single element transducer or a dual element transducer, depends on the diameter of the steel bar. Dual element transducers will be needed for smaller diameter bars.
: There are many Indian manufacturers of UT flaw detectors and I am sure you can find a good solution with in your budget. I am not connected with any of them and hence I would not recommend specific manufacturers and models etc. I can help you in evaluating the offers which you get, if you need such help.
: Swamy
: Hyderabad, India
:
: : Can anyone advise on suitable U/T equipments for general testing of steel forged round bars (just normal carbon & alloy grades, not for power generation/aerospace usage etc)
: : We contacted GE and they suggested USM 35X with Dual Element Transducer. Price is very expensive and we really doubt if this is necessary to have this level of equipment.
: : Also for the transducer, is Single Element Transducer good enough for our product ?
: : Thanks
: : Tony Li

chris s
chris s
07:13 Dec-10-2007
: Can anyone advise on suitable U/T equipments for general testing of steel forged round bars (just normal carbon & alloy grades, not for power generation/aerospace usage etc)
: We contacted GE and they suggested USM 35X with Dual Element Transducer. Price is very expensive and we really doubt if this is necessary to have this level of equipment.
: Also for the transducer, is Single Element Transducer good enough for our product ?

this inspection can be performed with a relatively cheap analog ut machine ($500), you can look on ebay. your transducer will be Dependant on the bar. i don't think you will need a dual element, a single should work. they are typically more durable anyway

Tony Li
Tony Li
03:56 Dec-11-2007
: I think you will need a standard ultrasonic flaw detector. Whether you need to use a single element transducer or a dual element transducer, depends on the diameter of the steel bar. Dual element transducers will be needed for smaller diameter bars.
: There are many Indian manufacturers of UT flaw detectors and I am sure you can find a good solution with in your budget. I am not connected with any of them and hence I would not recommend specific manufacturers and models etc. I can help you in evaluating the offers which you get, if you need such help.
: Swamy
: Hyderabad, India
:
: : Can anyone advise on suitable U/T equipments for general testing of steel forged round bars (just normal carbon & alloy grades, not for power generation/aerospace usage etc)
: : We contacted GE and they suggested USM 35X with Dual Element Transducer. Price is very expensive and we really doubt if this is necessary to have this level of equipment.
: : Also for the transducer, is Single Element Transducer good enough for our product ?
: : Thanks
: : Tony Li

The sizes of our bars are from 250mm to 760mm dia.

And we need to test around 2500mt a month, or 300-400 bars.

U/T standards are mainly ASTM A388, API 6A PSL3, SEP1921 D/c or C/c

I already had several quotes from GE, Sonatest, Newsonic etc. all digital, easy to carry.

Thanks

Tony Li

S.V.Swamy
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex , India, Joined Feb 2001, 787

S.V.Swamy

Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
07:03 Dec-13-2007
: : I think you will need a standard ultrasonic flaw detector. Whether you need to use a single element transducer or a dual element transducer, depends on the diameter of the steel bar. Dual element transducers will be needed for smaller diameter bars.
: : There are many Indian manufacturers of UT flaw detectors and I am sure you can find a good solution with in your budget. I am not connected with any of them and hence I would not recommend specific manufacturers and models etc. I can help you in evaluating the offers which you get, if you need such help.
: : Swamy
: : Hyderabad, India
: :
: : : Can anyone advise on suitable U/T equipments for general testing of steel forged round bars (just normal carbon & alloy grades, not for power generation/aerospace usage etc)
: : : We contacted GE and they suggested USM 35X with Dual Element Transducer. Price is very expensive and we really doubt if this is necessary to have this level of equipment.
: : : Also for the transducer, is Single Element Transducer good enough for our product ?
: : : Thanks
: : : Tony Li
: The sizes of our bars are from 250mm to 760mm dia.
: And we need to test around 2500mt a month, or 300-400 bars.
: U/T standards are mainly ASTM A388, API 6A PSL3, SEP1921 D/c or C/c
: I already had several quotes from GE, Sonatest, Newsonic etc. all digital, easy to carry.

300 - 400 bars a month translates to about 15 bars a day and can be done manually. The selection of the probe depends on the defect to be detected. Check out the model with the best price.

Swamy

Product Spotlight

OmniScan™ X3 flaw detector

The OmniScan X3 flaw detector is a complete phased array toolbox. Powerful tools, like total focus
ing method (TFM) images and advanced visualization capabilities, enable you to complete your inspection with greater confidence.
>

XRHRobotStar

In high volume industries like automotive the requirement for a hundred percent X-ray inspection c
reates a bottleneck in the production. The XRHRobotStar is a fully Automated Defect Recognition (ADR) capable robot-system that allows an ultra-fast in-line inspection.
>

Silverwing RMS PA - Phased-array corrosion mapping

Eddyfi Technologies integrated two market leading solutions, Silverwing’s RMS and M2M’s instru
ments to provide a high-speed, remote access ultrasonic phased-array inspection system with live total focusing method (TFM).
>

TESTD-PT SYSTEM

Pulse thermography is a non-contact test method that is ideal for the characterization of thin fil
ms and coatings or the detection of defects. With a remarquable short test time and a high detection sensitivity, the Telops TESTD-PT is the perfect tool for non- destructive testing. With such high frame rates, it is even possible to investigate highly conductive or diffusive materials.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window