where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
David Harvey
Engineering
ATI - Wah Chang, USA, Joined Nov 2002, 42

David Harvey

Engineering
ATI - Wah Chang,
USA,
Joined Nov 2002
06:49 Mar-25-2008
Flat bottomed v side drilled

I am trying to dig up some information comparing the responses of side-drilled and flat-bottomed hole standards. At the moment, I am looking for comparisons of different diameter side-drilled hole amplitudes. I know I can do this experimentally, but it benefits me most in my discussions if I have something in hand that is published already.
Thanks in advance for anyone that can share this information!

Simon Amallraja
Simon Amallraja
07:46 Mar-25-2008
Re: Flat bottomed v side drilled
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I am trying to dig up some information comparing the responses of side-drilled and flat-bottomed hole standards. At the moment, I am looking for comparisons of different diameter side-drilled hole amplitudes. I know I can do this experimentally, but it benefits me most in my discussions if I have something in hand that is published already.
: Thanks in advance for anyone that can share this information!
------------ End Original Message ------------

Contact PH Tools, USA. You will get what you need for your work. www.phtools.com and contact Mr. Phil Herman

Simon

Joe Buckley
Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT, United Kingdom, Joined Oct 1999, 519

Joe Buckley

Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
03:48 Mar-25-2008
Look up Ed's Article on the Ermolov equations:

http://www.ndt.net/article/v07n01/ginzel/ginzel.htm

One of the highlights of the site IMHO

Joe

: : I am trying to dig up some information comparing the responses of side-drilled and flat-bottomed hole standards. At the moment, I am looking for comparisons of different diameter side-drilled hole amplitudes. I know I can do this experimentally, but it benefits me most in my discussions if I have something in hand that is published already.
: : Thanks in advance for anyone that can share this information!
: Contact PH Tools, USA. You will get what you need for your work. www.phtools.com and contact Mr. Phil Herman
: Simon

Hermann Wüstenberg
R & D
BAM Berlin, Germany, Joined Nov 1998, 26

Hermann Wüstenberg

R & D
BAM Berlin,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
04:50 Mar-26-2008
: Look up Ed's Article on the Ermolov equations:
: http://www.ndt.net/article/v07n01/ginzel/ginzel.htm
: One of the highlights of the site IMHO
: Joe
:
: : : I am trying to dig up some information comparing the responses of side-drilled and flat-bottomed hole standards. At the moment, I am looking for comparisons of different diameter side-drilled hole amplitudes. I know I can do this experimentally, but it benefits me most in my discussions if I have something in hand that is published already.
: : : Thanks in advance for anyone that can share this information!
: : Contact PH Tools, USA. You will get what you need for your work. www.phtools.com and contact Mr. Phil Herman
: : Simon

The relationship between flat-bottomed hole and side drilled hole has been intensively discussed in the 70th of the last century by the Subcommission Vc (Ultrasonic inspection of welds) of the IIW (International Institute of Welding) and ended up with the introduction of a simple formula in EN standards determining the diameter of a flat bottomed hole in dependence from the diameter of a side drilled hole for the same distance, wavelength and amplitude. You may find this formula within the EN standard:
BSI BS EN 583-2 Document Information:
Title
Non-Destructive Testing - Ultrasonic Examination - Part 2: Sensitivity and Range Setting
Zerstoerungsfreie Pruefung. Ultraschallpruefung. Empfindlichkeits und Entfernungsjustierung
Essais non destructifs. Controle ultrasonore. Reglage de la sensibilite et de la base de temps
H. Wüstenberg

n.v.suryanarayana.surla
n.v.suryanarayana.surla
11:19 Jun-07-2014
In Reply to Joe Buckley at 03:48 Mar-25-2008 .

i am trying to dig up some information give me suggested 0.5 sdh details ,what is 0.5,defect minimum detected, and also 0.8 side drill hole.

David Baeley
Engineering,
Australia, Joined Dec 2014, 17

David Baeley

Engineering,
Australia,
Joined Dec 2014
07:11 Feb-12-2015
In Reply to Joe Buckley at 03:48 Mar-25-2008 .

Hi,
I can suggest start drill hole with 15mm to 25mm diameter surface area.Flat bottom drilled and side drilling hole can measured with drilling tools and working equipments.
http://www.tasmanoiltools.com.au

Product Spotlight

TESTD-PT SYSTEM

Pulse thermography is a non-contact test method that is ideal for the characterization of thin fil
ms and coatings or the detection of defects. With a remarquable short test time and a high detection sensitivity, the Telops TESTD-PT is the perfect tool for non- destructive testing. With such high frame rates, it is even possible to investigate highly conductive or diffusive materials.
>

I&T Nardoni

NDT, RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT OF NEW METHODOLOGY, TRAINING CENTER I&T NARDON INSTITUTE was idiated
in 1988 by Giuseppe Nardoni, now president and owner of the company, based on his multi-annual and international experience in the field of NDT.
>

TOPAZ® 64: Fully Integrated Portable 64 Channel PAUT Instrument with FMC & TFM

Introducing TOPAZ64, the industry’s most intelligent fully integrated, portable 64-channel phased
array ultrasound (UT) instrument. TOPAZ64 combines code-compliant phased array UT with the industry’s most advanced full matrix capture (FMC) and total focusing method (TFM) capabilities. Featuring the highest acquisition frequency in its class, high resolution FMC and a 12” multi-touchscreen, users can easily visualize even the smallest flaws. TOPAZ64 can generate a bipolar pulse that provides more acoustic energy versus previous models for punching through thick components. The result is a portable tool that delivers increased inspection coverage, more accurate signals, and the ability to handle all UT inspections in one package. TOPAZ64 is ideal for challenging applications in transportation, oil and gas, manufacturing and power generation.
>

NDT.net launches mobile-friendly design

NDT.net has revamped its website providing a mobile-friendly design.The front page received a comp
letely new design and all other sections are now reacting responsively on mobile devices. This has been a major step to make our website more user- friendly.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window