where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Career Discussions
Godfrey Hands
Consultant,
PRI Nadcap, United Kingdom, Joined Nov 1998, 303

Godfrey Hands

Consultant,
PRI Nadcap,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 1998
06:58 Oct-25-2004
C-Scan Tracking

Hi,
Some years ago I saw a device that tracked an Ultrasonic Probe with a TV camera, and plotted the position on a monitor.
This was for C-Scanning.
I believe the probe had a small LED on it, and the camera tracked that.

Does anybody have any information about this?

Regards,

Godfrey Hands

Jan Verkooijen
Director,
Sonovation, Netherlands, Joined Nov 1998, 29

Jan Verkooijen

Director,
Sonovation,
Netherlands,
Joined Nov 1998
00:30 Oct-26-2004
Re: C-Scan Tracking
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hi,
: Some years ago I saw a device that tracked an Ultrasonic Probe with a TV camera, and plotted the position on a monitor.
: This was for C-Scanning.
: I believe the probe had a small LED on it, and the camera tracked that.
: Does anybody have any information about this?
: Regards,
: Godfrey Hands
------------ End Original Message ------------

Godfrey,

The system was originally 'invented' by UKAEA. Sonomatic built a commercial system initially, to display corrosion images. We have further developed the technique and make it available in our Sonovision system. The system can work on flat plates, bends, pipes, tees et cetera. It has also been succesfully applied at high temperatures. Please drop me a line and I will send you a full description of the system, or have a look at our website.

Best regards,

Jan Verkooijen

John O'Brien
Consultant, -
Chevron ETC , USA, Joined Jan 2000, 280

John O'Brien

Consultant, -
Chevron ETC ,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
06:18 Oct-26-2004
The device you refer to is SEESCAN from AEA. I believe it is now with Veritec. Their contact details are on NDT net.

Alternatively contact Physical Acoustics Limited. they have a similar free motion scanning device which employs electromagnetic tracking. This avoids some of the problems encountered with the LED Device.

Jim Knowles
Jim Knowles
05:08 Oct-26-2004
Godfrey,
You are correct, originaly developed by AEA,but the system has now been much improved.
The system is now more reliable and the probe following capability better.
Please contact Phoenix Inspection Systems for further informion on 01925 826000.

: Hi,
: Some years ago I saw a device that tracked an Ultrasonic Probe with a TV camera, and plotted the position on a monitor.
: This was for C-Scanning.
: I believe the probe had a small LED on it, and the camera tracked that.
: Does anybody have any information about this?
: Regards,
: Godfrey Hands
------------ End Original Message ------------

Product Spotlight

Semi-Automated Phased Array Immersion System for Small Composite Parts

Turn-key semi-automated system as an improved and affordable solution for inspection of small comp
osite parts. Includes support table, immersion tank, scanner, PA instrument, PC, Analysis software, database, wedge management and other options.
>

NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe

DOPPLER NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe, more stable, new tyre makes lesser acoustic attenuation
, much lighter makes easier to handle, more slim size, magnetic and mechanical encoder optional etc...more
>

NEW! The PragmaPro Instrument Platform

The PragmaPro is based on a modular cartridge technology and supports various NDT instrument modal
ities such as UT, PAUT, ECT and many more. This new platform is based on a machined, powder-coated aluminum frame for shock-proofness, best sealing qualities and maximum heat dissipation. This is practical to extend the outdoor temperature range and/or to extend the power injected in the transducers. The PragmaPro is aiming at a very wide range of applications, such as weld scanning, corrosion mapping and composite testing.
>

Wireless TOFD scanner

Quick, accurate and highly reproducible welds testing. The System operates wirelessly and is compat
ible with any type of Windows based Laptop, Desktop or Tablet.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window