where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Career Discussions
john bisceglia
john bisceglia
06:27 Apr-04-2006
microdot bnc connectors

I would like to make my own microdot to bnc cables for ultrasonic inspection. Does anybody know where i could get the crimping tool necessary to make these connections

Linas Svilainis
R & D,
Kaunas University of Technology, Lithuania, Joined Nov 1998, 68

Linas Svilainis

R & D,
Kaunas University of Technology,
Lithuania,
Joined Nov 1998
04:16 Apr-05-2006
Re: microdot bnc connectors
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I would like to make my own microdot to bnc cables for ultrasonic inspection. Does anybody know where i could get the crimping tool necessary to make these connections
------------ End Original Message ------------

Up to my knowledge microdot can be assembled without crimping (refer to AMP instruction sheet 408-8521 former RF-ASMB-88). I used manual pressfitting using a simpte screw.
The other brand I know is KY-017 KY-018. I only have a pictures - I think the RG174 cable shloud be used here. So, RG174 crimp tool should do.

Rob with(tuboscope)
Rob with(tuboscope)
05:48 Apr-13-2007
: : I would like to make my own microdot to bnc cables for ultrasonic inspection. Does anybody know where i could get the crimping tool necessary to make these connections
: Up to my knowledge microdot can be assembled without crimping (refer to AMP instruction sheet 408-8521 former RF-ASMB-88). I used manual pressfitting using a simpte screw.
: The other brand I know is KY-017 KY-018. I only have a pictures - I think the RG174 cable shloud be used here. So, RG174 crimp tool should do.

http://www.usultratek.com/products/connectors.htm

Joe Buckley
Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT, United Kingdom, Joined Oct 1999, 528

Joe Buckley

Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
02:40 Apr-13-2007

It depends what you are using them for, If its a static connection then its not too critical. If the connector is being flexed a lot (as it would if you have it on a UT Probe) then optimal crimping /strain relief makes a lot of difference to how long the assembly lasts. (using the wrong tool can greatly reduce the connection strength) I presume you want to make your own cables up to save costs, If you are replacing them more often that may prove a false economy.

You might want to look at the compatible connectors from Microtech

http://www.mmm-microtech.com/BSeries.htm

They aren't quite as robust as the full military spec microdots, but they are (or used to be, its been a while) a lot cheaper and easier to use.

Joe

: : : I would like to make my own microdot to bnc cables for ultrasonic inspection. Does anybody know where i could get the crimping tool necessary to make these connections
: : Up to my knowledge microdot can be assembled without crimping (refer to AMP instruction sheet 408-8521 former RF-ASMB-88). I used manual pressfitting using a simpte screw.
: : The other brand I know is KY-017 KY-018. I only have a pictures - I think the RG174 cable shloud be used here. So, RG174 crimp tool should do.
: http://www.usultratek.com/products/connectors.htm

Product Spotlight

UCI Hardness Tester NOVOTEST T-U2

UCI hardness tester NOVOTEST T-U2 is is used for non-destructive hardness testing of: metals and
alloys by scales of hardness: Rockwell (HRC), Brinell (HB), Vickers (HV); non-ferrous metals, alloys of iron etc., and using five additional scales for calibration; with tensile strength (Rm) scale determines the tensile strength of carbon steel pearlitic products by automatic recalculation from Brinell (HB) hardness scale.
>

Eddy Current inspection : RotoETscan Rotating Head

The rotating head RotoETscan detects the presence of longitudinal surface or sub surface defects a
t high speed. The rotating head is often installed directly on the production line. It is generally dedicated to the control of long products such as tubes, bars and wires, made of ferrous or non-ferrous material. It can also be used for inspection of small parts (billets).
>

HARDNESS TESTER TKM-459CE combi

TKM-459CE combi applies 2 methods of hardness control: UCI and Leeb. It provides high-accuracy tes
ting of metals and alloys as well as items of different sizes and configurations, their hardened layers and galvanic coatings. Device represents results in HB, HRC, HV and others. Shock-, dust- and water-proof housing with intuitive software make this gauge easy to use in all working conditions.
>

Customized Probes and Transducers

With a strong development department and our own piezocomposite production, we accompany you from th
e first product idea to serial production. Our scientists are continuously researching new methods in the field of ultrasonic measurement technology. The progress achieved enables us to offer you optimal solutions.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window