where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Career Discussions
jacca
NDT Inspector
Algeria, Joined Jun 2008, 4

jacca

NDT Inspector
Algeria,
Joined Jun 2008
03:22 Jun-24-2008
career in ndt

hi
I'm thinking of starting a new career in NDT. Thinking of doing course in megnetic and ultrasonics and rope access. These will be level 1 of course and i need to know what are my chances of getting a job after completing these and likely income?

If i persue this career i will try for level 2. Again are there many jobs all seem to be for couple of week here and there.

Any advice appreciated.

Michel Couture
NDT Inspector,
consultant, Canada, Joined Sep 2006, 897

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
08:04 Jun-25-2008
Re: career in ndt
Well James,

I don't know how things are in Algeria, but I'll try to give you a little insight. For one thing, NDT in a large part is a trade that service various industries. We basically work when they need us, which is during their down time. In Ontario, Canada, the Nuclear facilities uses lots of technicians from various service companies. Of course, most of the inspections will be done in the spring and in the fall, because the demand for electricity is at its lowest (no heating or air conditioning). As a result, techicians work on an average 60 hours a week. The same thing goes on for the shut downs in the Pulp and paper industry. Yet outside of those periods, the work may be slow. For other parts of Canada, conditions are different. In the Western provinces, they are involved in the oil industry. I've been told that technicians over there are working about 12 - 14 hours a day, 7 days a week. In the winter, time may be slow for them.

The best advice I can give you is to be flexible with your work schedule, because it often change in a heart beat and be willing to travel. Also, learn to live on a 40 hours pay cheque even though you're working 60. Save the rest for a rainy day.

Good Luck to you,

Michel
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: hi
: I'm thinking of starting a new career in NDT. Thinking of doing course in megnetic and ultrasonics and rope access. These will be level 1 of course and i need to know what are my chances of getting a job after completing these and likely income?
: If i persue this career i will try for level 2. Again are there many jobs all seem to be for couple of week here and there.
: Any advice appreciated.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Product Spotlight

SITEX CPSERIES

Teledyne ICM’s CPSERIES has been designed with a view to revolutionizing the handling and perfor
mances of portable X-Ray sets. Despite having managed to halve the weight of similar portable X-Ray generators available on the market (while continuing to provide the same power output), the SITEX CPSERIES generators feature a shutter, a laser pointer, a beryllium window, an aluminum filter and two integrated diaphragms (customized sizes are available upon request). Without compromising the robustness and reliability for which ICM products are renowned, the small size and light weight of the SITEX CPSERIES will radically change the way that you perform your RT inspections. And you will see a positive impact in terms of both quality and return on investment (ROI).
>

Conformable wedge transducer

The conformability is obtained with a flexible membrane filled with water between the transducer and
the inspected component. The coupling between the membrane and the component requires a small quantity of water or couplant. The conformable wedge combines the acoustic performance of immersion technique with good coupling and low attenuation.
>

Robotic laser shearography enables 100% inspection of complex, flight-critical composite structures

An article in “Composites World Magazine” showcases Non Destructive Testing of aero-structures
with Laser Shearography. Over the years Dantec Dynamics has supplied many solutions for the aerospace industry. Referring to specific customer projects several of these cases are examined to outline the advantages of using Laser Shearography for automated defect detection.
>

Micro CT

nanoVoxel series has nano-scale resolution upto 500nm by using high voltage X-ray source (from 80-
300 kV) with micro/nano focal spot and highly sensitive flat panel detectors and unique Optical coupling detector.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window