where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Career Discussions
Gisli Arnar Guðmundsson
Gisli Arnar Guðmundsson
01:50 Jul-11-2008
Gas detector

I am in need of buying gas detector, I found one called Gas Alert Extreme. When purchasing one i have to choose which gas i want him to detect, and the price goes up as adding them. Can you tell me which gas is absoulute neccessary ( others than O2 :-) and others that are not depending on my work which is oiltanks and chainlockers.

Thanks

Gisli

mj
mj
01:10 Jul-12-2008
Re: Gas detector
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I am in need of buying gas detector, I found one called Gas Alert Extreme. When purchasing one i have to choose which gas i want him to detect, and the price goes up as adding them. Can you tell me which gas is absoulute neccessary ( others than O2 :-) and others that are not depending on my work which is oiltanks and chainlockers.
: Thanks
: Gisli
------------ End Original Message ------------
Dear Gisli,

you may buy H2S gas detector for working near oil tanks

Cailean Forrester
Director
United Kingdom, Joined Mar 2008, 25

Cailean Forrester

Director
United Kingdom,
Joined Mar 2008
04:07 Jul-12-2008
: : I am in need of buying gas detector, I found one called Gas Alert Extreme. When purchasing one i have to choose which gas i want him to detect, and the price goes up as adding them. Can you tell me which gas is absoulute neccessary ( others than O2 :-) and others that are not depending on my work which is oiltanks and chainlockers.
: : Thanks
: : Gisli
: Dear Gisli,
: you may buy H2S gas detector for working near oil tanks
Dear Gisli
The BW Extreme is a very good value unit and apart from an O3 sensor given your intended working places would seem the most appropriate - I suppose it just depend how you value your life - also remember that these units will only detect once they sense the gas and if you are wearing it at the bottom of tank then that might a bit late.
I would suggest you seek support to do proper risk assessment and get gas detectors with pumps that can take samples from many metres away from you prior to entry.

Tom Gibb
Consultant, -
Datanet Engineering, Inc., USA, Joined Jun 2008, 42

Tom Gibb

Consultant, -
Datanet Engineering, Inc.,
USA,
Joined Jun 2008
09:13 Jul-23-2008
Gisli,

The first step is to review the purpose of the detector.
1. Is it for personal safety? If so, then see Cailean Forrester's message. We use a minimum of four gas sensors: O2, LEL, H2S, and CO They are all very important at most project sites.
2. Is it for process control? Then you must determine what needs to be detected and when the response is to occur.

In short, to provide advice more information is needed.

Tom

: I am in need of buying gas detector, I found one called Gas Alert Extreme. When purchasing one i have to choose which gas i want him to detect, and the price goes up as adding them. Can you tell me which gas is absoulute neccessary ( others than O2 :-) and others that are not depending on my work which is oiltanks and chainlockers.
: Thanks
: Gisli

Product Spotlight

Lyft™: Pulsed Eddy Current Reinvented

PEC Reinvented—CUI Programs Redefined Corrosion under insulation (CUI) is possibly the greatest u
nresolved asset integrity problem in the industry. Current methods for measuring wall thickness with liftoff, without removing insulation, all have severe limitations. Eddyfi introduces Lyft — a reinvented, high-performance pulsed eddy current (PEC) solution. The patent- pending system features a state-of-the-art portable instrument, real- time C-scan imaging, fast data acquisition with grid-mapping and dynamic scanning modes, and flexibility with long cables. It can also scan through thick metal and insulation, as well as aluminum, stainless steel, and galvanized steel weather jackets. Who else but Eddyfi to reinvent an eddy current technique and redefine CUI programs. Got Lyft?
>

High-performance Linear Phased Array Probes

Available to order from stock in a range of 5MHz – 7.5MHz and from 16 to 64 elements. Designed w
ith piezo-composite elements, Phoenix phased array probes provide high-resolution imaging to maximise sensitivity; accurate ultrasonic detection and sizing of defects in welds; and effective corrosion mapping. Housed in a rugged stainless steel case for on-site industrial NDT applications.
>

CIVA 2017 UT Module

CIVA NDE Simulation Software is the world leader of NDT Simulation. The UT simulation Module incl
udes: - "Beam computation": Beam propagation simulation - "Inspection Simulation": Beam interaction with flaws or specimens The user can simulate a whole inspection process (pulse echo, tandem or TOFD) with a wide range of probes (conventional, Phased- arrays or EMAT), components, and flaws.
>

NDT Master Lecturer

In the program both university professors and practitioners will give lectures, which guarantees the
oretical depth and practical inside. Academic Director: Prof. Dr. Christian Boller
The following lecturers are not complete: Prof. Tadeusz Stepinski, Prof. Wieslaw Staszewski, Prof. Frank Walther, Prof. Giovanni Bruno, Prof. Gerd Dobmann, Prof. Philippe Guy
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window