where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

GE Inspection Technologies
Inspection Technologies, a business of the Baker Hughes, a GE company (BHGE IT), is one of the world's leading suppliers of nondestructive testin ...
Technical Discussions
Mario Belo
NDT Inspection
Trenes Buenos Aires, Argentina, Joined Jan 2000, 7

Mario Belo

NDT Inspection
Trenes Buenos Aires,
Argentina,
Joined Jan 2000
03:00 Oct-24-2000
Doubt

Dear experts:
I would like to know, in what cases I should use the small screw located inside the control of gain of my USM 2?
does it cause some anormality to manipulate it?

Kind regards,

Mario Belo

Udo Schlengermann
Consultant, -
Standards Consulting, Germany, Joined Nov 1998, 177

Udo Schlengermann

Consultant, -
Standards Consulting,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
09:25 Oct-25-2000
Re: Doubt
reply by Udo Schlengermann

Hello,

We are proud to see an instrument which is more than 20 years out of production in operation:
The USM2 had a calibrated decibel-attenuator (gain) stepped in 2-dB-steps.
To set an echo from a reference reflector exactly to a reference line an additional uncalibrated gain is necessary, if the 2-dB-steps do not fit exactly.
This uncalibrated gain is changed by the screw inside the dB-knob.
It's right position gives the maximum uncalibrated gain, it's left position the minimum uncalibrated gain.
Usually this uncalibrated gain should be set to its max-position.

Kind regards

Udo Schlengermann
+++++++

: Dear experts:
: I would like to know, in what cases I should use the small screw located inside the control of gain of my USM 2?
: does it cause some anormality to manipulate it?
:
: Kind regards,
:
: Mario Belo

Bill Waldron
Sales
GE Inspection Technologies, USA, Joined Feb 2001, 2

Bill Waldron

Sales
GE Inspection Technologies,
USA,
Joined Feb 2001
02:48 Oct-25-2000
Re: Doubt
: Dear experts:
: I would like to know, in what cases I should use the small screw located inside the control of gain of my USM 2?
: does it cause some anormality to manipulate it?
:
: Kind regards,
:
: Mario Belo

Mario,
This screw gives 10 dB of gain adjustment and does not affect linearity. Its intended use is to provide a means to fine adjust an echo to a reference level.
(As the USM2 attenuator is in 2 dB steps, it may not be possible to get an echo to an exact level. In this case you would use the small screw adjustment to fine tune the gain level.
Bill Waldron

Product Spotlight

XRHRobotStar

In high volume industries like automotive the requirement for a hundred percent X-ray inspection c
reates a bottleneck in the production. The XRHRobotStar is a fully Automated Defect Recognition (ADR) capable robot-system that allows an ultra-fast in-line inspection.
>

Ultrasonic tomograph for imaging of concrete structures А1040 MIRA

Applicable for concrete inspection allowing imaging of the internal structure of objects from conc
rete, reinforced concrete, different stones. The operation applies pulse-echo technique at one-side access to the object. The instrument is feasible for concrete inspection for searching conduct ducts, conduits, detection of foreign inclusions, holes, honeycombing, cracks and other concrete defects.
>

Navic - Steerable Modular Automated Scanner

The Navic is a modular, motorized, steerable scanner designed to carry multiple attachments used
in various scanning and inspection applications. The Navic is capable of weld scanning (girth welds and long seam welds), automated corrosion mapping, and tank scanning.
>

NEW! The PragmaPro Instrument Platform

The PragmaPro is based on a modular cartridge technology and supports various NDT instrument modal
ities such as UT, PAUT, ECT and many more. This new platform is based on a machined, powder-coated aluminum frame for shock-proofness, best sealing qualities and maximum heat dissipation. This is practical to extend the outdoor temperature range and/or to extend the power injected in the transducers. The PragmaPro is aiming at a very wide range of applications, such as weld scanning, corrosion mapping and composite testing.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window