where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Teletest
Teletest Focus+ was the first system to use long-range guided wave ultrasonic testing to detect corrosion in pipelines.
Technical Discussions
Mario Belo
NDT Inspection
Trenes Buenos Aires, Argentina, Joined Jan 2000, 7

Mario Belo

NDT Inspection
Trenes Buenos Aires,
Argentina,
Joined Jan 2000
03:00 Oct-24-2000
Doubt

Dear experts:
I would like to know, in what cases I should use the small screw located inside the control of gain of my USM 2?
does it cause some anormality to manipulate it?

Kind regards,

Mario Belo

Udo Schlengermann
Consultant, -
Standards Consulting, Germany, Joined Nov 1998, 177

Udo Schlengermann

Consultant, -
Standards Consulting,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
09:25 Oct-25-2000
Re: Doubt
reply by Udo Schlengermann

Hello,

We are proud to see an instrument which is more than 20 years out of production in operation:
The USM2 had a calibrated decibel-attenuator (gain) stepped in 2-dB-steps.
To set an echo from a reference reflector exactly to a reference line an additional uncalibrated gain is necessary, if the 2-dB-steps do not fit exactly.
This uncalibrated gain is changed by the screw inside the dB-knob.
It's right position gives the maximum uncalibrated gain, it's left position the minimum uncalibrated gain.
Usually this uncalibrated gain should be set to its max-position.

Kind regards

Udo Schlengermann
+++++++

: Dear experts:
: I would like to know, in what cases I should use the small screw located inside the control of gain of my USM 2?
: does it cause some anormality to manipulate it?
:
: Kind regards,
:
: Mario Belo

Bill Waldron
Sales
GE Inspection Technologies, USA, Joined Feb 2001, 2

Bill Waldron

Sales
GE Inspection Technologies,
USA,
Joined Feb 2001
02:48 Oct-25-2000
Re: Doubt
: Dear experts:
: I would like to know, in what cases I should use the small screw located inside the control of gain of my USM 2?
: does it cause some anormality to manipulate it?
:
: Kind regards,
:
: Mario Belo

Mario,
This screw gives 10 dB of gain adjustment and does not affect linearity. Its intended use is to provide a means to fine adjust an echo to a reference level.
(As the USM2 attenuator is in 2 dB steps, it may not be possible to get an echo to an exact level. In this case you would use the small screw adjustment to fine tune the gain level.
Bill Waldron

Product Spotlight

OmniScan™ X3 flaw detector

The OmniScan X3 flaw detector is a complete phased array toolbox. Powerful tools, like total focus
ing method (TFM) images and advanced visualization capabilities, enable you to complete your inspection with greater confidence.
>

NOVO Armor 15 & NOVO Armor 22

The Armor Kit Contains the NOVO Armor, which provides additional mechanical protection to the NOVO 1
5WN & NOVO 22WN Detectors, the Armor Stand and a traveling soft cover. - Newest shock absorbent technology case - Water resistant design - Supports wired & wireless communication - Multiple positioning options - Tripod connection using the Built-in 1/4” threads - Simple Detector battery replacement
>

Magnetic X-Ray Pipeline Crawler

Zhong Yi brand pipeline crawler is magnetic/micro-video controlled crawler with DC X ray unit inst
alled for checking welding of pipeline. Move steadily inside the pipeline 6''-60''diameter with speed of up to 18m/min, Max. moving diatance 5 kilometers and provide the efficient inspection of the pipeline.
>

Ultrasonic Squirter/Gantry System

TecScan’s NDT Ultrasonic Gantry Systems are industrial Squirter scanners designed for non-destru
ctive quality testing and raster scanning of large structures and parts. The Gantry Systems are usually composed of an Industrial Mechanical Scanner and a Control Room with System Workstation.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window