where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Mario Belo
NDT Inspection
Trenes Buenos Aires, Argentina, Joined Jan 2000, 7

Mario Belo

NDT Inspection
Trenes Buenos Aires,
Argentina,
Joined Jan 2000
03:00 Oct-24-2000
Doubt

Dear experts:
I would like to know, in what cases I should use the small screw located inside the control of gain of my USM 2?
does it cause some anormality to manipulate it?

Kind regards,

Mario Belo

Udo Schlengermann
Consultant, -
Standards Consulting, Germany, Joined Nov 1998, 183

Udo Schlengermann

Consultant, -
Standards Consulting,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
09:25 Oct-25-2000
Re: Doubt
reply by Udo Schlengermann

Hello,

We are proud to see an instrument which is more than 20 years out of production in operation:
The USM2 had a calibrated decibel-attenuator (gain) stepped in 2-dB-steps.
To set an echo from a reference reflector exactly to a reference line an additional uncalibrated gain is necessary, if the 2-dB-steps do not fit exactly.
This uncalibrated gain is changed by the screw inside the dB-knob.
It's right position gives the maximum uncalibrated gain, it's left position the minimum uncalibrated gain.
Usually this uncalibrated gain should be set to its max-position.

Kind regards

Udo Schlengermann
+++++++

: Dear experts:
: I would like to know, in what cases I should use the small screw located inside the control of gain of my USM 2?
: does it cause some anormality to manipulate it?
:
: Kind regards,
:
: Mario Belo

Bill Waldron
Sales
GE Inspection Technologies, USA, Joined Feb 2001, 2

Bill Waldron

Sales
GE Inspection Technologies,
USA,
Joined Feb 2001
02:48 Oct-25-2000
Re: Doubt
: Dear experts:
: I would like to know, in what cases I should use the small screw located inside the control of gain of my USM 2?
: does it cause some anormality to manipulate it?
:
: Kind regards,
:
: Mario Belo

Mario,
This screw gives 10 dB of gain adjustment and does not affect linearity. Its intended use is to provide a means to fine adjust an echo to a reference level.
(As the USM2 attenuator is in 2 dB steps, it may not be possible to get an echo to an exact level. In this case you would use the small screw adjustment to fine tune the gain level.
Bill Waldron

Product Spotlight

OPBOX with standard software is able to do all types of inspections and measurements: flaw detection in welds and materials, scanning of objects, testing composite materials, forged and moulded pieces, many UT inspections, measurements of properties of ma

Typical applications: UT measurements with pulse technique, Measurement of thicknesses also at hig
h temperatures, Measurements of properties of materials, including fluids and gases We are delivering a standard version of the software (for any Microsoft Windows up to 10 x64 with Microsoft Hardware certification report Approved) and for special needs: SDK with ready to use examples for LabView, MATLAB x64, C++ wrapper for dll, Python and Linux., and also low-level description of how to control our devices directly from any USB tools
>

Echomac® PA Bar Tester

The Echomac® PA BT provides 100% inspection of round bars for core and surface defects, at speeds u
p to 2 m/sec, depending on the specific application. The unit allows producers to handle a much larger range of diameters in one installation, and is available in 3 models to test 10 – 75mm diameter (small model); 20 – 130mm (medium model) or 50 – 254mm (large model) bars.
>

On Demand Webinar: Using Eddy Current Array for Large Areas in Place of Magnetic Particle and Liquid Penetrant Testing

New on-demand webinar on the use of eddy current array (ECA) technology in lieu of liquid penetrant
testing (PT) and magnetic particle testing (MT) for large area screenings. The webinar includes an introduction to the technologies with advantages and disadvantages of each. Side by side examples are discussed including aircraft stringers, engine blades, forgings, weld plates & more. View it today.
>

Varex Imaging Large Field of View (FOV) Digital Detector Arrays (DDAs)

A larger FOV DDA can reduce the space and volume of the X-ray inspection system on the factory floor
, enable faster scanning times, better throughput and better resolution images at a lower dose. Customers can also save time and money. With these benefits in mind, Varex Imaging has designed a family of large FOV detectors (4343HE, XRD 1611, 4343DX-I, 4343CT) for our industrial imaging customers.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window